Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Removing front swaybar?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Razor_Blade
If it hooks on the radials, I don't really expect an improvement without the sway bar. It seems to me that a car thats already hooking could actually 60' worse without the sway bar, since power will be lifting the front more instead of pushing the car down the track.

Does this make sense, or am I thinking too much?
The front coming up IS what's pushing the rear down. We call it weight transfer. Chain or strap the front end down so that it can't lift at all and see how good your car hooks then.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by AL SS590 M6
The front coming up IS what's pushing the rear down. We call it weight transfer. Chain or strap the front end down so that it can't lift at all and see how good your car hooks then.
Your response had absolutely nothing to do with my question. I thought it was a simple enough question, but I will try to rephrase, so as to make it a little easier to understand.

Assuming a car is already Dead Hooking, will having excess weight transfer hurt the 60' times?
Old 06-08-2007, 05:06 PM

Your response had absolutely nothing to do with my question. I thought it was a simple enough question, but I will try to rephrase, so as to make it a little easier to understand.

Assuming a car is already Dead Hooking, will having excess weight transfer hurt the 60' times?
If its dead hooking already why mess with it?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:08 PM

Only if you start dragging the bumper or upsetting(unloading) the chassis AFTER the launch(bad shocks). Even if you're dead hooking, removing the swaybarweight would/could make it more consistant. Everyone dead hooks until the eliminations begin and then oooops....it spun. Bad tracks, etc.

Last edited by AutoRoc; 06-08-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:22 PM

what is the benefit of this? I've heard of ppl removing the front sway bar before, but I don't know nearly enough about suspension to understand why removing something that is supposed to help handling is a good thing? I know as far as drag racing goes your not too worried about body roll cuz ur going straight, but y does that mean it should be removed (weigh a lot? guessing)?
Old 06-08-2007, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by TurboXL
what is the benefit of this? I've heard of ppl removing the front sway bar before, but I don't know nearly enough about suspension to understand why removing something that is supposed to help handling is a good thing? I know as far as drag racing goes your not too worried about body roll cuz ur going straight, but y does that mean it should be removed (weigh a lot? guessing)?
yep...weight...i hear it weighs a good 15 to 20 pounds
Old 06-09-2007, 12:06 AM

OK, I have had my sway bar off and have daily driven it for years that way...

As far as the benefit, this is of my car's with mostly stock suspension, bolt-on, A4, 3.73 geared car on M/T drag radials...

And no, more weight transfer from removing the bar will not hurt your times, but actually help more...
Old 06-13-2007, 01:44 PM

Sweet. thanks for the info.
How close do you think I am to getting my car too look like that off the line? Getting Nittos in a couple months, and a mail order tune in the next couple of weeks. Assuming I'm capable of a launch like that(probably not, but humor me) would my car be capable? Thats looks badass, and its one of my goals to at least get one tire off the ground someday haha.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by TurboXL
Sweet. thanks for the info.
How close do you think I am to getting my car too look like that off the line? Getting Nittos in a couple months, and a mail order tune in the next couple of weeks. Assuming I'm capable of a launch like that(probably not, but humor me) would my car be capable? Thats looks badass, and its one of my goals to at least get one tire off the ground someday haha.
Power mods aren't the only thing that helps the launch, you have to tweek the suspension too... With your cars mods plus, 6sp, 12 bolt and 4.10's I would say you could easily lift a tire on a good launch if the suspension was right and you had good tires mine are M/T drag radials. My suspension consists of all stock front minus the swaybar, stock t/a, stock rear suspension except adjustable drag shocks, and spohn 1" drag bar to help it stay level on launch...
Old 06-16-2007, 10:46 AM

Holy crap I never thought of that. What do you need to do to get that to work? How do you do it? I need to know lol.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Speed Demon 505
Holy crap I never thought of that. What do you need to do to get that to work? How do you do it? I need to know lol.
If you were to strap the front suspension so that it couldn't lift all you would do is blow the tires away unless you were way over tired or using some sort of slipper clutch on a timer.
My point was that until your lift the front tires off the ground the more front lift the better.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:12 AM

These are pictures of my '93. At this time it had a completely stock suspension with the exception of the front sway bar removed. I'm talking stock 94,000 mile shocks, springs, torque arm, lower control arms, etc. Race weight was 3448#. Engine was a 94,000 mile stock bottom end with a little CC305, mildly ported heads, 700 transmission, and leaving at 1500 RPM's. The car would 60 ft. in the mid 1.6X's, and it ran 12.0.
I think it hooked pretty hard for 303 RWHP, and a stock suspension.

Frank
CPT
Old 06-20-2007, 09:02 PM

My point was that until your lift the front tires off the ground the more front lift the better.
Hhmm!! Why didn't you just say that the first time, instead of spouting some smartass crap?
Old 06-21-2007, 06:36 AM

Hhmm!! Why didn't you just say that the first time, instead of spouting some smartass crap?
Because you said this: "It seems to me that a car thats already hooking could actually 60' worse without the sway bar".
Old 06-21-2007, 02:10 PM

Because you said this: "It seems to me that a car thats already hooking could actually 60' worse without the sway bar".

Maybe it's just me, but I'm puzzled as to why that statement would result in such a response from you. I stated nothing for fact, and was basicly asking if I was correct. Oh well, at least there were some people here courteous enough to actually answer a question.

Back on topic. I'll be headed to the track tomorrow night for a little T&T. I'm planning on making a pass or two with the sway bar in place, then removing it. I'll post up the results. Before the flame throwers come out, just let me say that I am not questioning or doupting anyone. I just wanna see exactly what changes in 60' times it makes on my car.

Quick Reply: Removing front swaybar?