Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Opinions on trans shield

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Banned

Opinions on trans shield

What do you think about this shield?

I can get one really cheap and would not need anything other than this. So it should save a few pounds also...... think this is the way to go?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 05-25-2008, 09:34 PM

That's the top of the line in trans shields in terms of weight and convenience. There are floor clearance issues in some cars.

Also, be aware that they are date stamped with a five-year expiration. Make sure that you are getting one that's not expired or nearly expired.

The strap that secures the rear of the shield is prone to sliding off the back of the pan.

I've had good success with mine partly because my car has a removable tunnel for easy access.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Banned

Mr. Norton if is is close to going out of date can I have it re cerified? If so where and how would I go about that.?

I also have window nets and harnesses that are in the package that were never used but now out of date...are those useless now? ( I do have current ones in the car, just wondering)
Old 05-25-2008, 09:58 PM

The only entity that can recertify a piece of safety equipment is the original manufacturer. It might be worth a call to CSR to find out if they offer that service. Since they can sell you a new one instead, they may not be willing to re-cert.

Window nets are an interesting topic. If the net is the "ribbon" type, it doesn't need to be replaced according to a schedule. The "mesh" or "string" type has a two-year life span although I cannot find a reference to that requirement in the rule book. All I know for sure is that when I had my car inspected for an ETI sticker, the tech man specifically said that the date stamp on the mesh net was there for that purpose. When I run the car in SS/JA it doesn't require a cage or a net. Therefore, the date on the mesh isn't a factor.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:17 PM

I already run that style flexplate shield. When my tranny and flexplate shield expire next year, I may purchase that style as a one piece shield to cover both. It is one of the more expensive shields but also works good in tight quarters. Many have found that the longer bellhousing bolts required to bolt it on can be very difficult to install without some minor tranny tunnel modifications (big hammer). You also need to remove the dipstick tube to install the shield and modify the tube mount bracket to be a little bit longer to get it to fit over the shield.

I run a ribbon window net that has a 2002 date code on it. I've never been questioned about it but I also only run at IHRA tracks. Although the ribbon style doesn't expire and the mesh/string ones do, check with your local tech inspector first. Some tracks still read the rules as all window nets expire after 2 years. I've heard that a few NHRA tracks will refuse any window net style if older than 2 years.

In the back of my old NHRA rule book listed under SFI specifications, 27.1 Window net (mesh or ribbon) 2 years but many years ago when our track was NHRA we asked tech about that and were told the ribbon ones didn't expire.

There's nothing in my IHRA book stating a difference between the 2 styles either and IHRA states that it's only good for 2 years.

It's sort of an unwritten rule that the ribbon style doesn't expire but don't expect all tracks to accept it.

Last edited by Stephen 87 IROC; 05-27-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:54 AM

The CSR shield fits with no mods. It's a good piece.

Rich
Old 05-27-2008, 03:21 PM

My CSR stuff fits the tunnel good but....if you want great access...get a big hammer in there and make a little extra room near the bolts. Nobody was ever hurt by a little hammer massage on the trans tunnel. You use really long bolts with these setups and they can be a pain.