Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

1st time to the track. help me.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 01:17 AM

1st time to the track. help me.

okay, well next Friday I'm going to be heading up to New England Dragway, or shall i say hopefully...

ive never been to a drag strip b4 and dont wanna embarrass myself or run a horrible time. what are some tips and is there nething i need for my car to pass the inspection thingy they have?

here's some info on the car:
- Tires: SHATTY!!! 245/50/16s...Yokahama A540 mud and snows...those will b tough to get a decent time w/.
- Mods: Moroso CAI...thats pretty much it, i have a Meziere EWP, which i know is overkilll but o well and a 160* thermo...so only a CAI.
- The Car: 123,xxx mi. deff. not driven by a grandmother...takes a likin and keeps on tickin tho. 3.23s, everything else stock.

hopefully u guys can help me out so i can run a decent time and not embarass myself.

Thanks in advance,
Jake
Old 08-16-2003, 10:07 AM
Administrator

With all of the stereos, wings and rice at NED on a Friday night you certainly don't need to worry about being embarrassed about anything. The vast majority of the Friday night crowd and drive worth crap. I have seen people staging with their rear wheels and launching in reverse on Friday nights.

You will probably spin no matter what you do because slicks are not allowed on Fridays so they don't do much track prep except to scrape up any droppings. Get there early if possible because the place packs in.

Review the racer handbook here: http://www.newenglanddragway.com/tra...ok/index.shtml

I also recommend taking a hard copy home with you. It is free and you should be able to pick one up at the souveneir booth, tech, or credentials. (Yes, that is my Camaro on the front )

Also do some reading at this site, a friend of mine wrote it and it is an excellent starting point for beginners: http://www.staginglight.com

I wish I go meet up with you there but I will be at Orlando Speed World trying to get a handle on a rental car for Saturday's race in Gainsville.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:19 AM

I wrote a short "drag racing primer" which you may find interesting. If you want to read it, go to http://www.kennedysdynotune.com/ and click on "Tech Tips" at the bottom of the left hand menu. On the next page, click on the link to "Drag Racing Primer and Track Etiquette".

Rich Krause
Old 08-16-2003, 01:46 PM

thanks guys.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:18 AM

Rich, thanks a lot, that guide was great.

TNT, i checked out the NED site and checked the safety requirements and have a few questions:

* Battery hold-down - where can i get 1 / how can i make one? a friend said just to use a bunjee cord...will that work?
* Radiator overflow can - does that come on a stock '95 Z-28? how / where should i get one?
* Neutral safety switch mandatory for all vehicles with an automatic transmission - what is this and do i have one already?

im new to this so i know the questions seem stupid, but thanks a lot for the help,

Jake
Old 08-17-2003, 03:25 AM

Originally posted by Jcb890
Rich, thanks a lot, that guide was great.

TNT, i checked out the NED site and checked the safety requirements and have a few questions:

* Battery hold-down - where can i get 1 / how can i make one? a friend said just to use a bunjee cord...will that work?
* Radiator overflow can - does that come on a stock '95 Z-28? how / where should i get one?
* Neutral safety switch mandatory for all vehicles with an automatic transmission - what is this and do i have one already?

im new to this so i know the questions seem stupid, but thanks a lot for the help,

Jake
You don't need anything beyond what you already have! Your factory battery mount is fine. Notice how your car won't crank except in neutral or park? That's the safety switch. The plastic tank next to the radiator is an overflow can.

You are good to go, enjoy!

Rich Krause
Old 08-17-2003, 04:44 PM

ty very much Rich. ive heard some crazy shiz about ur car, do u have pics or vids or ne info u can tell me on it? i think i once heard u say u can light up the tires at 65+ mph

thanks,
Jake
Old 08-17-2003, 05:40 PM

With the tires that you have, leave the spare tire in the hatch. You might even want to add a little over the rear if you are having troble getting traction. Peddle out of the hole and practice the right amount of throttle to get you going without getting the tires to break loose. If you can get some, get the VHT in the spray bottle that Summitt sells. It will aid your traction just enough to let you plant the street tires on mild engines.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:51 PM

ty very much Rich. ive heard some crazy shiz about ur car, do u have pics or vids or ne info u can tell me on it? i think i once heard u say u can light up the tires at 65+ mph

thanks,
Jake
When running N2O on the street tires it would spin in 4th when the nitrous activated at ~85mph . Quite a ride. It's all a matter of money, time, and committment. The car is still not ready for this year though . We fabbed up a solid intake tube last week and just today discovered the next weak link - further out, near the air cleaner the remaining "soft" part of the intake is collapsing . So, one more fab job and that should truly, finally, once and for all be "it". However, I saw 22psi at 6,200rpm with the intake disconnected (running in speed density mode). So maybe it'll all be worth it in the end.

No vids, sorry.

Rich Krause
Old 08-17-2003, 05:56 PM

Rich, that is just wild. that must b a really wild ride. got ne ideas for HP and TQ?

Jake
Old 08-17-2003, 10:16 PM

Rich, that is just wild. that must b a really wild ride. got ne ideas for HP and TQ?

Jake
Last year, with the T56 it was 733rwhp and ~825ft-lbs. The hp is misleading, as the spray was turned off at 5,600rpm (the fuel system was maxed out). So the torque reflects the full impact of the N2O and the hp does not. This year we dynoed 585rwhp at 5,600 without N20 but with a TH400 and a loose converter. The boost fell off after 5,200 until we ran it in speed density with the SC just directly sucking air. So the 22psi I saw at 6,000 (where we shut off) was a little misleading. But the hp was 636rwhp at that rpm and still rising. So once the intake is completed I expect ~725rwhp with the blower and ~875rwhp with the N2O. With the new fuel system it won't be running out of fuel and I will be able to keep the N2O activated. The hp isn't higher due the TH400 loss, which appears to be in the 50-75hp range with the 4,200 stall converter.

Rich Krause
Old 08-17-2003, 11:19 PM

to you

Jake