Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Logging AEM UEGO wideband on a OBD2 LT1

Old 05-04-2019, 05:04 PM

Logging AEM UEGO wideband on a OBD2 LT1

Just purchased an AEM wideband (30-4110) and am trying to figure out how to get this thing to log.

I added a pin to the blue connector 27 and planning on tapping into the white analog wire.

About the only logging programs I have access to now are ECM Pro Scan w/enhanced parameters and Torque Pro on my phone. EEhack only seems to support obd1 and it looks like datamaster and other programs people have used no longer are sold/supported.

My question is, how the heck do I get my new wideband to log on my obd2 car? ECM Pro scan seems really locked down not allowing me to add custom pids. And even if I could, i wouldn't know what to put in to get it it to talk to blue 27.

Inputs/advice appreciated.....
Old 05-04-2019, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Re: Logging AEM UEGO wideband on a OBD2 LT1

If I don't have the 96 factory manual available on my iPad, so I have no idea what you are doing with pin (Blue) D27. Most people seem to use the pin for the A/C refrigerant pressure to accept the 0-5volt wide-band output.

GaryDoug has written both OBD-1 and OBD-2 scanning/data logging software. The info on the OBD-2 software is here:

https://www.firebirdnation.com/forum...nner-software/

GaryDoug is a member here, and will help with install and setup problems.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:18 AM

I have heard of multiple people on other forums adding a pin to D27 because it is an unused 0-5v input.

But now that I think about it, the majority of those people seem to be obd1 owners...I wonder if it's different....
Old 05-05-2019, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Shoebox has the pinouts for the OBD-1 F-Body, marked up to show the changes in OBD-2. Pin D27 is not shown as used. I looked over the PCM diagrams for the Corvette (Y-Body).

In OBD-1/1.5 there is nothing connected to pin D27. But pin D28 is used for the oil temperature sensor input. TTS DataMaster showed a value for oil temperature on the F-Body setup, even though only the Corvette had the oil temp sensor. Of course since there was nothing connected to pin D28, hence infinite resistance, DataMaster would show -40-degF as the oil temp. F-Body owners would get all concerned because their oil temp was reading wrong, and I had to explain to them that it was because that circuit was not used on the F-Body applications. That would lead me to believe that if you connected a 0-5 Volt signal to pin D28 in OBD-1, you would get a reading on a data logger, but only visible if the data logger was DataMaster. I know Scan9495 does not have a column for engine oil temperature, but Gary might be able to add one.

Then I looked as the Corvette OBD-2 PCM diagrams, and they do not show an oil temperature sensor input. So that would leave it up in the air whether pin D28 would function on an OBD-2 PCM.

In any case, pin D27 is not shown as being used in any of the Corvette OBD-1/1.5 or OBD-2 wiring diagrams that I have.

If you still have A/C, it should be possible to use a double throw switch to connect either the A/C pressure sensor or the wide-band white wire (0-5 Volts) to pin D12. I would recommend you ask someone who has actually connected the wide-band to D12, to confirm or correct everything I have said. I know I reviewed a data log for this member recently:

Rhansen

....and I noticed the values changing in the A/C pressure field, even though the A/C was not shown as operating, and he confirmed my suspicions that he was logging a wide-band there.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:59 PM

This is from kur4o, a guy over on gearhead that's helped stevo develop eehack

The problem is I don't know how to translate that to English and be able to get my logger(s) to recognize it. Solomon has also confirmed that D27 will work but isn't sure of the exact PID to use.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:59 PM
Administrator

I am not familiar with that statement. But I have no reason to believe it doesn’t work if the EEhack guys say it does. I don’t run a factory PCM. I replaced it with a high end aftermarket system when we built the stroker 19 years ago. The MoTeC ECU has multiple spare input channels that can be assigned to things that aren’t already part of the specific model I am using. For example, I have an EGT sensor on the #7 header primary.

The only thing I know about EEhack is from looking at data logs produced by the system. They contain a lot of info, but after opening them in Excel they seem difficult to reorganize into an easy to manipulate spreadsheet. But maybe the people running the data logging are not setting it up the right way when it produces the report.

Seems like the best way to answer the question about whether that hack applies to OBD-2 as well as OBD-1 would be on the site where you found the quote. Or maybe PM the member I mentioned in post #4 and ask if he can help. I know he uses EEhack. And whoever wrote that statement should be able to translate it for you. It's just beyond my knowledge because I never did much with th factory PCM except minor tuning using lt1_edit, and that was a long time ago.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:30 PM

Yeah I hear ya, I did PM him but waiting for a response. I'm honestly surprised more people haven't chimed in. Kinda between a rock and a hard place with a 96 - 97 Fbody as far as tuning/support goes.

I did put an obd1 pcm in it for awhile using eehack/tuner pro but the PCM eventually went wack and wouldn't upload tunes anymore. I also got a lot of knock reports I never got on my obd2 PCM even after swapping to the older knock sensor.

One thing I never figured out is that when I swapped to the obd1 pcm, I never had any issues with my rpms dropping/surging/stalling when coming to a stop. As soon as I put the obd2 PCM back in it comes right back. Really annoying in slow stop and go traffic. Dips down to as low as 400 rpms and sometimes will die if I don't give it gas. Didn't do it once with obd1, but that also had a stall saver table I zerod out. According to Jet, there isn't one on obd2 but I'm wondering if they are mistaken.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:44 PM
Administrator

In all honesty, there’s not many “helpers” left on this site. Fortunately, the half-dozen or so that are here are LT1 oriented. I try to let knowledgeable people jump in on narrow/specialty issues like yours, but when nobody shows up, and the posts sit unanswered for a day or two, I try to help sort things out. But I have my limits. I'll send people to another site if I have to, if that's what it takes to get them help.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:57 AM

Finally got it to work. Gave up on the "Pin 27" idea and just went with the A/C sensor line. Originally, I put a SPDT switch on there and for whatever reason it wasn't working (I blame ****ty autozone switch). So I just wired it directly and messed around with the formula a bit and got it to read exactly what the gauge was saying.

Just had to do the ole Y=Mx+B equation, 0v = 10AFR, 5v = 20AFR, where Y IS AFR and X is volts and B would be 10 (range in volts)

So, for M....... Y2-Y1/X2-X1

20-10/5-0 = 2 = M

Y= 2x+10

All makes sense to me, because whenever I plug in the voltage on their chart for X it gives me exactly what it says for the AFR at that voltage. Example 2.34V * 2 +10 = 14.68

Last edited by slikrider20; 05-10-2019 at 04:09 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the feedback!