Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

EASY MegaSquirtII install? 9 wires. . .

Old 09-04-2007, 06:49 PM

I guess what I need to add is that I do not see the opti as reliable beyond 7000rpm, regaurdless of tuning issues. Honestly I think they last much longer if kept below 6k. I had another bad opti when I put my stuff toether, and since I needed to put the money into ignition... why not
Old 09-04-2007, 10:05 PM

what are you doing for the transmission? are you leaving the stock ecu in there to control that?
Old 09-04-2007, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by 1fastgixxer
what are you doing for the transmission? are you leaving the stock ecu in there to control that?
m6 here... I am holding on to the stock ecm until I find a solution for the speedo though. I could add the input / output into the proto area on the board and add my own code to convert it...
Old 09-05-2007, 12:25 AM

wouldnt it make it simple to drill the lt1 intake and put a magnetic distributor back there? that would eliminate the edis and opti. the edis is great, but mounting the wheel perfect and balancing is just a big hassle.

Last edited by 1fastgixxer; 09-05-2007 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by 1fastgixxer
wouldnt it make it simple to drill the lt1 intake and put a magnetic distributor back there? that would eliminate the edis and opti. the edis is great, but mounting the wheel perfect and balancing is just a big hassle.
I think that is the easiest option, but I wanted tuning flexibility. Are you still talking about using the megasquirt? In that case I think it would be a great option. A dual synch distributor should give you all the flexibility you need.

I think my edis craze came from the fact that people are paying @ $1000 for these various coil pack opti "replacements" that still require the opti in some shape or form. Again the edis8 was cheaper than a distributor + intake work and fit my needs. And again it falls into that lets see if we can make it work area.

To me building the motor was not a project, it was a chore because all the parts are there, the machine shop takes most of the guess work out, and the hardest thing you have to do is check bearings and torque specs. Building the turbo kit was a little more of a challenge, there was no blue print and I didn't rip off someone's design. I think I enjoy the challenge and the frankenstein aspect of it all.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Bazan
Is this real time tuning still a possibility?
Yes, all the stuff is already available. It just hasn't been applied to the LTx yet.

Mike
Old 09-10-2007, 01:03 AM

Back to the orginal idea, anybody use it just to control the fuel side? I'd love to do this for now, then once the spark side gets proven and works I'd just add that part on.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by engineermike
Yes, all the stuff is already available. It just hasn't been applied to the LTx yet.

Mike
Guess I should've been more specific I meant for the LTX based engines. How close are they to having this real time tuning available. Has Craig lost interest in the LTX platform?

Thanks Mike,

Eric
Old 09-10-2007, 09:48 PM

Craig has an LT1 car and a stout built LT1 engine. The engine is 90% and sitting at Thunder Racing and the car is at his house. I'm sure he'll put together the LT1 real-time tuning as soon as he gets it running. I probably should get off my @ss and go help since I'll benefit from it.

He explained to me that everything needed to make it work is already out there, but just not applied to the LTx ECM yet. He acted like it wouldn't be that difficult to do.

Mike
Old 09-10-2007, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Bazan
Guess I should've been more specific I meant for the LTX based engines. How close are they to having this real time tuning available. Has Craig lost interest in the LTX platform?

Thanks Mike,

Eric
Eric, how you making out bro with your setup? Get it running yet?

Jon
Old 09-10-2007, 10:40 PM

A little off topic but in line too.

I'm building a street rod with a ZZ 383 and stack injection like the old Hilborn type. We're running EDI8 and will mount the EDIS-8 coils in front of the motormounts to hide the plug wiring. I have access to a laser cutter and have made a 36-1 crank wheel. After I get it all set up and tuned, I plan to eliminate my Opti on my 96 LT1 and run the fuel/spark with Megasquirt. The only thing the the stock PCM will control is my 4l60E. real time tuning and wideband control is the big advantage of the MS systems. The cost of the MS system and edis module/coils is about the same as a replacement opti.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:04 PM

Post info and I'm sure some of us would buy a 36-1 wheel if you make one.

I'm ready for megasquirt
Old 09-17-2007, 01:17 AM

BUMP...wanting to do this soon.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by engineermike
Nope, I just made it up with some help from Will Stukas and my EE buddy.
Mike,
Do you have a part number for this kit as you discribe it? I'm ready to take the plunge.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-17-2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by DirtyDaveW
Mike,
Do you have a part number for this kit as you discribe it?
No, it's just your basic MSII setup.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EASY MegaSquirtII install? 9 wires. . .