Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Couple ? - data log and tuning for a 93 auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:44 AM

Couple ? - data log and tuning for a 93 auto

Just started on a little bracket car, 93 Z28 with 100K. all stock other than a flowmaster cat back. I put in new plugs and wires. It has a full tank of probably 87 octane.

And I'm automatic challenged!

Leaving the car in drive, not OD. Car shifts around 5K, drops to 4300. But on the 2-3 shift it goes to D3, then the next cell is D4, but not seeing TCC lock happen.

Is this normal?

Next question:

At 5000RPMs it has 26 degrees of timing. Looking at the tune file, 5K @ 94KPA I should have 36 degrees? I see spark retard value 1.0. Am I correct that based on the tables this will result in 18 degrees being pulled out. I assume better gas will help.

It does feel a bit soft on the top end, Running a touch rich s well. I think I can get a little more out of it by tighening up the tune once I do a few other things, CAI, lower thermostat.

Any other advise on refining the factory tune?

Old 06-25-2014, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Re: Couple ? - data log and tuning for a 93 auto

Data logs usually show knock retard in degrees. What software are you using?

I believe there is a "low octane" timing adjustment as well, when the ECM sense an over-active knock sensor. Maybe the "flag" for low octane retard is the "1.0" value you are seeing? Not sure where that flag is or how to clear it. And not sure if the 93 ECM is the same as the much different 94 and up PCM.

PS: You might want to send me a bill for storing my trailer.... what's it been, 5 or 6 years? I don't even have a truck to tow it with any more.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:17 PM

Re: Couple ? - data log and tuning for a 93 auto

Using TTS Data master to log info along with an Innovate LC-1 wideband.

Uses Tunercats to view/adjust the tune, Burn2 to program the chip

i know nothing about these trans. When I started the transcable was way out of adjustment? Took a few passes to get it right. but I don't understand the D3/D4 reading?

I was looking at the tables and it look like it can pull up to 18 degrees out. I'm thinking of replacing the knock sensor ( I have spares laying around) and throw a can or 2 of octane boost in it this weekend and see what happens. I have CAM2, but figure that is a waste in a stock engine.

Originally Posted by Injuneer
PS: You might want to send me a bill for storing my trailer.... what's it been, 5 or 6 years? I don't even have a truck to tow it with any more.
Been in this house for almost 11 years.... Storage fees are REALYY HIGH! I'll just come pick up your 94 and we'll call it even!

I take the trailers around the block a few times a year. Since I'm 1 mile from the track I don't even have to bother loading a trailer. I have them in the back of the yard, I found a use this winter, I judged how much snow we had based on when the fenders disappears and only the top of the spare tires were showing! about 32" at one time.

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 06-25-2014 at 03:29 PM.