Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Car Stereo Security

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:16 PM

Thank you guys for all the help. He came over and looked at the vehicle and said he knows what it is. The night it started giving me troubles was the night of a thunderstorm. Somehow the PCM gathered quite a bit of ESD. It then erased the memory or something along those lines. I am sorry about my terminology. I am a Network Analyst and am trying to learn as fast as I can. Anyways he said he is bringing something over to re-program the computer. Once it is repaired, I will get him to come on here and post in detail of what happened and how it was fixed for future reference. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by tyrone_biggums
Thank you guys for all the help. He came over and looked at the vehicle and said he knows what it is. The night it started giving me troubles was the night of a thunderstorm. Somehow the PCM gathered quite a bit of ESD. It then erased the memory or something along those lines. I am sorry about my terminology. I am a Network Analyst and am trying to learn as fast as I can. Anyways he said he is bringing something over to re-program the computer. Once it is repaired, I will get him to come on here and post in detail of what happened and how it was fixed for future reference. Thanks.
If random thunderstorms erased PCMs, there sure would be a lot of dead cars around. Seems a stretch, but I hope you get it resolved.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:36 PM

Pcm

Well apparently the PCM is fried. I have no idea how this could possibly happen as I had the motor out to get rebuilt and the PCM was fine, now its fried. I am not quite sure how to go about it now. My first idea was to rip out the LT1 and sell it. I would then throw in a different motor without the computer BS. Unless there is some sort of way to get around the PCM? I know they can be expensive to get a replacement. Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by tyrone_biggums
Well apparently the PCM is fried. I have no idea how this could possibly happen as I had the motor out to get rebuilt and the PCM was fine, now its fried. I am not quite sure how to go about it now. My first idea was to rip out the LT1 and sell it. I would then throw in a different motor without the computer BS. Unless there is some sort of way to get around the PCM? I know they can be expensive to get a replacement. Any ideas or suggestions?
PCMs are cheap. Contact any of the mail order tuners or get one from a salvage yard or auto supply.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:29 PM

Oh wow. I didn't think they would be that cheap, i figured they would be expensive as hell. Right on. So does it have to be specifically programmed for anything? Thanks again for all the help.