Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Car Stereo Security

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 07:21 PM

Car Stereo Security

Hey Guys,

I am currently having troubles with the security feature on my car. I purchased the car and it did not have the stock stereo with the car, and from everywhere i read you need that to reset the security. Is there any way around this? I heard about a way to use a resistor to trick the computer? Anyone know about that? Any help will be appreciated.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:45 PM

Sorry for lack of info guys. 1995 trans am, 5.7 litre, 6 speed transmission.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:35 PM

http://shbox.com/1/vats_bypass.jpg

the resistor to put in will be the same value as the chip in your key. put a multi meter on the key chip to figure it out.

thank shoebox for his amazing site which has saved me so much time money stress relief etc etc
Old 09-11-2009, 06:47 AM

Perhaps a better read is this: http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html

There is not a way to "reset" it, but you can fool it. It really does not have anything to do with the stereo. If you are having LOC problems with it, that's a different story.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:44 PM

Yea. Its basically having a problem with the fuel injectors pulsing. The computer that we hooked up to scan it pointed right back to the security crap. (Sorry about my absent terminology). Is there any fixes for it? I don't know where to start. Car starts but it begins backfiring and popping after a little while.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by tyrone_biggums
Yea. Its basically having a problem with the fuel injectors pulsing. The computer that we hooked up to scan it pointed right back to the security crap. (Sorry about my absent terminology). Is there any fixes for it? I don't know where to start. Car starts but it begins backfiring and popping after a little while.
VATS does not cause problems after the engine starts. It only keeps it from starting. "Backfiring and popping after a little while" is going to be something else probably ignition related.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Administrator

I'm still trying to figure out how the topic "Car Stereo Security" and the statement that "I purchased the car and it did not have the stock stereo with the car" fit in.

It appears you feel that somehow not having a stock stereo system will affect the car's security system, and require that you "reset security".

Are you asking about the VATS system, or the factory stereo security system? I don't think the 2 systmes are related at all, and none of them would be affecting your fuel injectors after the engine starts.

Are you getting a codes (DTC 18) for the injectors?
Old 09-13-2009, 04:56 PM

Yes sorry for the confusion Injuneer. I thought the stereo all tied into all of that, but after seeing the posts after my original post, i started to understand it all. Yes I am getting the code DTC 18.

Sorry once again about all the confusion. All the info so far as been a major help.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:24 PM

There was also an eprom code. It was a 40 something. I don't have the sheet with the errors I recorded with me, but I will post when I get the sheet back and post the exact number. Thanks again.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:31 PM

DTC 18 is for the injector circuits. Have you checked their fuses?

DTC 46 is for the PassKey system (VATS). That code would be telling you that you are not receiving the 40-60 Hz ground from the VATS to allow the PCM to provide fuel delivery.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:56 PM

Just ruled out DTC 18 by checking the fuses. The fuses are fine.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:56 PM

Just ruled out DTC 18 by checking the fuses. The fuses are fine.
If you are still getting the code, you have not ruled out anything except that the fuses are not blown. You would still have to test to see if that voltage is getting to the injectors. A noid light will let you test each connector to see if the PCM is signaling the injectors to fire. Each injector should have a resistance of around 12 ohms when tested with a meter.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:13 PM

Ok. I will test that and come back with the results. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:05 PM

My brother brought his work computer to the house, and now the codes are B1-061 and B1-062. I have no clue where to go now.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:50 AM

My brother brought his work computer to the house, and now the codes are B1-061 and B1-062. I have no clue where to go now.
I don't know what you are using to get those codes, but they are not valid. Click the link in my sig for valid codes.

Quick Reply: Car Stereo Security