Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Can I tune out EVAP without physically removing system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by LiENUS
So hows it safer to vent to atmosphere then genius. and go ahead punch a hole in your evap system tune it out and leave her be.
It seems quite clear that you don't now WTF you are talking about. No one said it was safer to vent to the atmosphere, the point is trying to be made that when the EVAP is properly deleted it isn't a fire hazard. Just as an FYI, I have been running my car for 2 years without the EVAP and no explosions here
Old 03-24-2007, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by steve9899
Keep digging the hole, kid. You're halfway to China at this point.
Too far in to climb out...
Old 03-25-2007, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by matLT1
It seems quite clear that you don't now WTF you are talking about. No one said it was safer to vent to the atmosphere, the point is trying to be made that when the EVAP is properly deleted it isn't a fire hazard. Just as an FYI, I have been running my car for 2 years without the EVAP and no explosions here
Originally Posted by steve9899
It would be _safer_ to have no evap control system, venting the gases to the atmosphere as we did for many decades.
Running no EVAP is different from just deleting it from the programming. If your tank is properly vented and everything is properly deleted yes it should be safe. If you just leave everything intact unplug it and delete it from the pcm you can run into fairly major issues.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:07 PM
Administrator

I posted those because I am without internet at home and was pressed for time. The gas vapor control systems are in place on the car for a reason. Before we had modern fuel system designs explosions were a major problem. The EVAC system is part of a larger system designed to control gasoline and prevent it from igniting outside the combustion chamber. If you disable it and do not properly compensate there is the possibility of pressure building up within the system and providing enough hydrocarbons to ignite and since it directly connects to your gas tank there is the very real possibility of it drawing vapors out of the gas tank through the vapor line and providing a steady source of fuel. Yes it is possible to safely disable the EVAC system. Tuning it out of the computer and leaving everything as is is NOT safely disabling the system and you run the very real risk of an uncontrolled fire.
WHEN did we have all these "explosions (that) were a major problem"?

I've been driving since I was 12, and that was 54 years ago (yes, do the math ). I've NEVER heard of a car exploding from venting "normally" out of the fuel fill cap (e.g. - "vented" cap"). Yes, I've heard of people welding on their fuel tanks and getting killed by the explosion. I've heard the Internet legend of an explosion happening when a cell phone was used too close to a fuel tank being filled in a gas station.... but PLEASE, show me the "explosions (that) were a major problem". I've also worked in gasoline stations (more than 10 years), and worked in the research & engineering center of a major oil company (seven years). As a licensed professional (mechanical) engineer, I was involved for nearly 40 years with designing systems to handle gasoline and other explosive chemicals. If cars were exploding all over the place, I think I just might have heard about it.

I remember working in a gas station where one of the more Neanderthal pump jockies use to rest his lighted cigarette on the top of the fuel pump while he pumped gas into the car. Last I heard, he survived - yes... very stupid thing to do, but it didn't cause an explosion. In ye olde days, there were no vapor containment systems on the fuel fill nozzles, and gasoline vapor POURED out of the fill pipes during filling.

Show me one single reference that confirms your belief that "The EVAC system is part of a larger system designed to control gasoline and prevent it from igniting outside the combustion chamber." First, is the EVAP system. Second, its there to protect the environment. Case closed.

Running no EVAP is different from just deleting it from the programming. If your tank is properly vented and everything is properly deleted yes it should be safe. If you just leave everything intact unplug it and delete it from the pcm you can run into fairly major issues.
The fuel system on your 4th Gen Camaro includes a pressure relief valve. In the event that you disable the charcoal canister purge, the system will simply vent through the canister without having it absorb the HC vapor. What "major issue" will this cause?
Old 04-08-2007, 02:40 AM

What are the cons of deleting it? Id really like to get all that stuff off the intake.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:11 PM

So, how do you delete it through tunercat?

Eric
Old 04-29-2008, 10:12 PM

I was getting codes DTC 26 and 27. If I disable the computer to look for these error codes in the ECM switch table (tunercats) will this effectively disable the EGR and CCP. I was getting those codes and disabled them, now I dont get a SES light and my fans stay off. Is this correct?

Im very new to tunercat and have a lot of questions.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 04-30-2008, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by 96TurboWS6
What are the cons of deleting it? Id really like to get all that stuff off the intake.
Increased emissions. That's about it. If you lived in an area that requires emissions testing, you'd fail if you disabled it and they run a full emissions test. You'd fail a visual test if you remove the equipment.

Other than that, nothing. The advantage of removing it is, of course, one less thing to clutter up the engine bay and one less thing that can go wrong. Removing it would also make the car lighter, although I don't believe the EVAP system weighs very much. In a pure drag car, though, every little bit does help.

As for exploding cars, this is basically impossible. Removing the EVAP system isn't going to make the car into a time bomb. Vehicles didn't use this for many years before emissions requirements. The only reason this system was added was to help significantly reduce the amount of unburned hydrocarbons from escaping into the atmosphere, which was a major source of pollutants.