Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Can I tune out EVAP without physically removing system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 10:00 PM

Can I tune out EVAP without physically removing system?

I was wondering if it's possible to tune out EVAP from the PCM using Tunercat, and unplug the solenoid on the side of the intake, but still have the system physically in the car. Will this hurt anything, the Code 26 that I am getting is driving me nuts.

I have done a search, but can't seem to find the answer to this question.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by I8ASTNG
I was wondering if it's possible to tune out EVAP from the PCM using Tunercat, and unplug the solenoid on the side of the intake, but still have the system physically in the car. Will this hurt anything, the Code 26 that I am getting is driving me nuts.

I have done a search, but can't seem to find the answer to this question.
Not advisable. the evap system is one system you really should keep intact for your own safety. You are talking about taking a system that controls gas vapors (highly explosive, liquid gas is actually not very volatile at all only in vapor form does it become explosive) and turning it off without replacing it with anything to control those vapors. That is a dangerous situation and one you really do not want to be in.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:37 PM

Well turns out my EVAP system is fine. I checked my fuses, and my fan fuse was blown, replaced that, cleared all codes and drove car, no engine light anymore and no codes!
Old 03-22-2007, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by I8ASTNG
Well turns out my EVAP system is fine. I checked my fuses, and my fan fuse was blown, replaced that, cleared all codes and drove car, no engine light anymore and no codes!
Good, please for the safety of everyone try to keep your evap system working, and working properly.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:19 PM
sbs

Originally Posted by LiENUS
Not advisable. the evap system is one system you really should keep intact for your own safety. You are talking about taking a system that controls gas vapors (highly explosive, liquid gas is actually not very volatile at all only in vapor form does it become explosive) and turning it off without replacing it with anything to control those vapors. That is a dangerous situation and one you really do not want to be in.
Yeah, man, before we had emissions controls cars were blowing up left and right from them scary vapor things.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:23 PM

Lol
Old 03-23-2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by steve9899
Yeah, man, before we had emissions controls cars were blowing up left and right from them scary vapor things.
Actually, they were it was a HUGE problem when cars were first invented. Not only that but the big tankers to haul gas would explode quite often.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:27 PM
sbs

Actually, they were it was a HUGE problem when cars were first invented. Not only that but the big tankers to haul gas would explode quite often.

Nice change of subject.

Evaporative control systems have been required in the US for about 35 years. In many parts of the world they aren't required today. It would be _safer_ to have no evap control system, venting the gases to the atmosphere as we did for many decades.

Please provide evidence to support your claim that removing the evap system causes a dangerous situation.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:08 PM

Nice change of subject.

Evaporative control systems have been required in the US for about 35 years. In many parts of the world they aren't required today. It would be _safer_ to have no evap control system, venting the gases to the atmosphere as we did for many decades.

Please provide evidence to support your claim that removing the evap system causes a dangerous situation.
And how would it be safer to vent the gases to the atmosphere?
Old 03-23-2007, 09:31 PM
sbs

C'mon, you can do it. Stay with your claim and provide some evidence that shows that you're not just talking out of your ***. Should be easy enough.

I mean, it's not just dangerous to the guy who removes it, it's dangerous to everyone. We know that because we read it on an internet forum somewhere:

Good, please for the safety of everyone try to keep your evap system working, and working properly.
A clear danger to self and others such as this will provide millions of hits with a quick Google search. Let's see a couple.

Not that it wouldn't be cool if it did work that way. Self-immolation as punishment for emissions tampering...
Old 03-23-2007, 11:53 PM

C'mon, you can do it. Stay with your claim and provide some evidence that shows that you're not just talking out of your ***. Should be easy enough.

I mean, it's not just dangerous to the guy who removes it, it's dangerous to everyone. We know that because we read it on an internet forum somewhere:

A clear danger to self and others such as this will provide millions of hits with a quick Google search. Let's see a couple.

Not that it wouldn't be cool if it did work that way. Self-immolation as punishment for emissions tampering...
http://www.playfuls.com/news_10_2032...l-Vietnam.html
http://origin.insidebayarea.com/oakl...ews/ci_5494112
http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...timeline_N.htm
Old 03-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Administrator

You're really reaching on this one, to defend what is basically an indefensible position. Those examples are ridiculous, and in no way related to a small amount of HC vapor flowing out of the fuel tank of an automobile as it "breathes".

The 12,500-litre tank exploded as workers were welding its lid at the same time as another worker mistakenly pumped gasoline into the tank, thinking that it was water.....
The explosion and subsequent blaze, believed caused by a buildup of fumes from gasoline poured in the basement of the house
Major events related to the 2005 explosion at BP's Texas City refinery
Welding on a tank..... pouring gasoline into the basement of a house.... one of the Gulf Coast's largest refineries? Why didn't you throw in all that nasty jet fuel that exploded when someone flew a couple of planes into the World Trade Center?

The EVAP system is there to prevent HC vapor from escaping and polluting the atmosphere, not to reduce the possibility of an explosion. Yes, gasoline burns, but only when the concentration of the HC's in air is within the flamability limits of the HC/air mixture. A very "lean" mixture of fuel and air will not ignite, because its outside the limits of flamability.

Get a grip
Old 03-24-2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You're really reaching on this one, to defend what is basically an indefensible position. Those examples are ridiculous, and in no way related to a small amount of HC vapor flowing out of the fuel tank of an automobile as it "breathes".

Welding on a tank..... pouring gasoline into the basement of a house.... one of the Gulf Coast's largest refineries? Why didn't you throw in all that nasty jet fuel that exploded when someone flew a couple of planes into the World Trade Center?

The EVAP system is there to prevent HC vapor from escaping and polluting the atmosphere, not to reduce the possibility of an explosion. Yes, gasoline burns, but only when the concentration of the HC's in air is within the flamability limits of the HC/air mixture. A very "lean" mixture of fuel and air will not ignite, because its outside the limits of flamability.

Get a grip
I posted those because I am without internet at home and was pressed for time. The gas vapor control systems are in place on the car for a reason. Before we had modern fuel system designs explosions were a major problem. The EVAC system is part of a larger system designed to control gasoline and prevent it from igniting outside the combustion chamber. If you disable it and do not properly compensate there is the possibility of pressure building up within the system and providing enough hydrocarbons to ignite and since it directly connects to your gas tank there is the very real possibility of it drawing vapors out of the gas tank through the vapor line and providing a steady source of fuel. Yes it is possible to safely disable the EVAC system. Tuning it out of the computer and leaving everything as is is NOT safely disabling the system and you run the very real risk of an uncontrolled fire.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:07 PM
sbs

The gas vapor control systems are in place on the car for a reason. Before we had modern fuel system designs explosions were a major problem. The EVAC system is part of a larger system designed to control gasoline and prevent it from igniting outside the combustion chamber.
Keep digging the hole, kid. You're halfway to China at this point.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:48 PM

Keep digging the hole, kid. You're halfway to China at this point.
So hows it safer to vent to atmosphere then genius. and go ahead punch a hole in your evap system tune it out and leave her be.

Quick Reply: Can I tune out EVAP without physically removing system?