1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 30th Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 12:33 AM

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 30th Anniversary

This is my 1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 with automatic transmission that I've decided to sell as a project car for someone else as it's currently non operational. The car is clean, I am the sole owner of it having purchased it in 1996 and I have the title for it. The quick history of the car is that I drove it stock for a few years, then had it modded and drove it many years like that. Then in 2006 I tried a more extensive modification on the car at a local speed shop where they put in a 383 stroker motor. Long story short they couldn't get it working right and the car has been sitting in my driveway since 2006 exactly as you see in the photos. The mods done to the car are as follows:

- 383 stroker engine with forged pistons
- custom cam
- new injectors
- coated headers
- re-programmed obd1 cpu, but I still have the original obd2 cpu
- bilstein shocks
- poly bushings
- panhard rod
- frame rails
- k&n filter kit
- 3.73 gears
- yank 3200 stall converter
- beefed up transmission
- flowmaster exhaust
- zr-1 replica rims, 17" x 9.5" front, 17" x 11" back
- nitto drag radials from and back
- slightly stronger front brakes

There is also an after market audio system installed with Sirius and XM, an amp and two sub woofers in the rear hatch area. I had another local shop diagnose the issue as well as a Chevy dealership and both came to the same conclusion. Basically there is blow-by on one of the pistons, which results in pressure building in the crankcase area, which then pushes the oil pan off the car a bit resulting in oil splattering on hot engine parts and hence smoke. The last dyno done on the car which I still have was on June 6 2006, and it read 422 torque and 308 hp to the rear wheels, so it reads low due to the blow by. I gave up trying to fix it and bought a new car long ago, and the Camaro has been sitting in my driveway ever since. It has not been started or moved since 2006. Rather than let it keep sitting there I'd prefer to pass it on to someone who can get it running again or use it for parts. The mileage shown on the odometer is for the old 350 engine, not for the 383 replacement. The car is in the Los Angeles area (Thousand Oaks) if you would like to drive by and see it. Because the car is non operational I am selling it as-is, and buyer is responsible for shipping. I'm looking to get $2000 for the car. Feel free to ask me any questions, I can be reached at realitystudio@outlook.com.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:34 AM

Re: 1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 30th Anniversary

Old 12-31-2013, 04:06 PM

The car has been sold.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Drew:

Scrolling thru the pic's I noticed the Holley throttle body. I had only one problem with mine, but it might be worth a heads up so you can check yours.

The throttle idle stop lever sits in a groove machined in the thick aluminum throttle cable quadrant. Mine was “loose” to the extent that the part inserted in the groove could move slightly up and down. That affected the TPS voltage, making it a bit irregular. In my setup, with the MoTeC ECU, it was enough of a variation to cause an issue, because (unlike the stock PCM) to set the voltage used for closed throttle, all I had to do in the setup was click a button on the laptop screen with a mouse. Ditto for 100% open.... put the pedal on the floor, and click another button on the screen.

But the variation in the voltage readings caused trouble with things that relied on throttle position like decel fuel cutoff/reactivation, operation of any nitrous functions controlled by throttle position, etc. I drilled a small hole thru the throttle stop lever, into the aluminum quadrant, and pinned the two together. In retrospect, some epoxy may have been an easier solution.

Have no idea if this would affect the operation of the LS1 PCM used w/ the TorqHead system. I don't know how it baselines the closed throttle voltage, compared to the LT1 PCM.