Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Toggle switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 12:10 PM

Toggle switch

I am running a toggle switch from my stereo to my amp so I can turn the amp on and off. I know I need the a ground to the switch, and I'm not sure but I think it's the rem wire to the supply volts, and them the rem coming from the amp to the "on" on the switch. Is this right? Do I need to run the switch to a fuse at all?
Old 03-11-2005, 10:58 PM

Re: Toggle switch

All you would need is an interrupt switch on the remote wire. DO NOT run an interrupt switch on either the ground or power wire, as they carry way too much current for the average toggle switch. Most toggles are rated at around 10 amps.

One question though, why? Just to turn your subs on and off?
Old 03-12-2005, 06:02 AM

This is in no way meant as a slam on you. After reading your post it's obvious that you have no idea what you are doing here. I would recommend having someone else that does know what they are doing install the switch for you. In your post you said, "I know I need the a ground to the switch". This is totally wrong. There is no ground involved when adding a switch to the remote turn on lead. The ground is the ground connection coming off of the amp.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:39 PM

Does your stereo not have a volume switch?
Old 03-12-2005, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by LS1 RULZ
This is in no way meant as a slam on you. After reading your post it's obvious that you have no idea what you are doing here. I would recommend having someone else that does know what they are doing install the switch for you. In your post you said, "I know I need the a ground to the switch". This is totally wrong. There is no ground involved when adding a switch to the remote turn on lead. The ground is the ground connection coming off of the amp.
I will tell you after many experiences that you WILL NEVER LEARN ANYTHING if you don’t try it yourself. He is asking for help and that’s what this board is about.

Now back to the main post. Just incase you don’t know a switch is like a cut off. It disconnects the wire just like if you where to take a pair of cutters and cut the wire in two. There will be two places to connect your wires. At one you going to connect the wire coming from the radio and at the other you’re going to connect the wire running to the amp. There should be no ground involved here UNLESS you switch lights up It also doesn't hurt for someone to HELP you your first time.

Ooo and yea why are you doing this??? The amp should trun on and off with your radio.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:19 PM

Well if he somehow manages to set his car on fire I don't want to have any part in it.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:03 PM

Agreed. I've seen first hand what inexperience and "thinking you know what you're doing" can do to a car. Luckily, in that particular case, only the carpet had a singed black line all the way through the car. Could have been FAR FAR worse.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:13 PM

i have herd stories like that too. Thats why if your doing something for the first time and have no clue what your doing reasearch before you do anything else.