Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

ZR1 top speed: 205 mph (video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 08:16 AM

The ZR1 top speed run was a 2 direction deal.

Tadge Juechter - Corvette Chief Engineer: "As you probably saw, we announced the top speed (2 way, 1 mile average) as 205 mph. The ZR1 has also been extremely durable in our testing, so the car certainly has the potential to take the World Speed Endurance Record. However, we are currently focused on a perfect launch and getting the ZR1 into production. We will talk about record attempts later."
Old 05-02-2008, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Pentatonic
Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
Did your 11% increase in power needed take into account the added 200lbs of weight w/o driver(s) and the added aero downforce/drag of the rear spoiler and ground effects?
No, but why should it? If I added 200 hp to a car but also added a bunch of other junk that slows it down and the end result was only a marginally faster car, is it still impressive (maybe because I added 200 hp)? No, it's not impressive because the end result was only a marginally faster car.

I hope the final ZR1 numbers surprise me, but all of the initial reports have this car looking like a SLUG for all of the extra $$$$$$ and HP.
Dude, are you out of your mind?!?!

A car with more aerodymanic downforce (which will admittedly "slow a car down") will dramatically increase its handling capability and stability!! Put the LS9 into the Z06 the way it sits, and run the ZR1. Likely the Z06 would out-run the ZR1 by a small fraction. BUT, the ZR1 is probably much more stable, and will certainly be able to corner at much higher speeds given more downforce.

Clearly BREAKING the 200 mph mark is certainly quite an achievement, and given the "relatively cheap" cost, in relation to the rest of the exotics which are capable of breaking 200, and it's still damn impressive IMO .
Old 05-02-2008, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
A car with more aerodymanic downforce (which will admittedly "slow a car down") will dramatically increase its handling capability and stability!!
Well, I certainly hope so. But like I said, the initial reports of the low 7:40's pass at the 'ring doesn't exactly leave me feeling like the ZR1 will be worth the extra $$$$ over the Z06. As I've said in my first post in this thread, I'm not even too much interested in the top speed. I'm interested in quarter mile and 'ring times. And while 205 mph is certainly impressive by itself, it does not impress me when compared to 198 mph for the Z06.

But, really, we'll all have to wait for official times and comparison tests to make the final call. Until then, we have speculation and opinions.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:20 PM
West South Central Moderator

Almost every single top speed test that I've read about for the C5 and C6 for cars that have been modified for power had mention of how loose, floaty, unstable the car has been at very high speeds (190+). This video shows how much attention GM has put on stability at speed. Naturally a stable car at high speed has plenty of downforce which hurts maximum speed. Also the ZR1 uses stickier and wider tires (with heavier wheels) which also increases friction and aero drag at top speed.

FWIW the LS2 Z51 Corvette was rated by GM to 186mph.

Last edited by AdioSS; 05-02-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
Almost every single top speed test that I've read about for the C5 and C6 for cars that have been modified for power had mention of how loose, floaty, unstable the car has been at very high speeds (190+). This video shows how much attention GM has put on stability at speed. Naturally a stable car at high speed has plenty of downforce which hurts maximum speed. Also the ZR1 uses stickier and wider tires (with heavier wheels) which also increases friction and aero drag at top speed.

FWIW the LS2 Z51 Corvette was rated by GM to 186mph.
I have a C5 Z06 and added some racing body treatments from the C5 World Challenge program to address lift.

Anyway...

The '09 ZR1 aero treatments allow approx. 35% greater downforce in the front and approx. 45% greater downforce in the rear over the C6 Z06.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 05-02-2008 at 02:30 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-02-2008, 04:47 PM

Someone needs to tell the test driver to keep his eyes on the road. He was making me nervous. I cant imagine how much road was being covered while he glanced down each time. lol.

Very impressive numbers with that much more downforce.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
Link to verified / ran both ways 198 mph run?
Go to the Corvette forums. There are videos with GPS of it doing over 200 on numerous occasions.

Last edited by Suaveat69; 05-02-2008 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-02-2008, 09:05 PM

The recent portions of this discussion are comparing the Z06 with the ZR1. Perhaps you may want to re-read.

And we shall see what the Nissan GTR and GTR-V will do with a GM comparable warranty for well under $200K. Competition is quite tough out there, and the GTR is already beating the Z06 in just about every road test done so far. I also hear Toyota is coming out with a sports car similar to the Supra. I wonder what that will hold...
GTR beating the Z06-ok, wait til the production version is out and then we wil see it fall short of the Z.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:08 PM

Well, I certainly hope so. But like I said, the initial reports of the low 7:40's pass at the 'ring doesn't exactly leave me feeling like the ZR1 will be worth the extra $$$$ over the Z06. As I've said in my first post in this thread, I'm not even too much interested in the top speed. I'm interested in quarter mile and 'ring times. And while 205 mph is certainly impressive by itself, it does not impress me when compared to 198 mph for the Z06.

But, really, we'll all have to wait for official times and comparison tests to make the final call. Until then, we have speculation and opinions.
Keep in mind the ZR1 UNOFFICIAL TIME was on a wet track, with an engineer driving with a passenger.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:36 PM

The ZR1 is one badass ****

Originally Posted by Threxx
Was it tested in both directions?

Keep in mind that a simple tail wind of 8 mph is all that it'd take to bump the top speed 8 mph on an otherwise flat surface.
8mph tailwind won't translate into an 8mph increase in top speed. Has to do with applying a force at a given speed... at 8 extra mph, the engine won't be able to apply as much force as it did at 192 (defn of power). But, as stated, everywhere I've seen claims the C6Z is good for 198.

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
Did your 11% increase in power needed take into account the added 200lbs of weight w/o driver(s) and the added aero downforce/drag of the rear spoiler and ground effects?
Weight makes little difference in top speed. Much more important are the aerodynamic changes you mentioned.