Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Why isn't anyone talking about Ford's Interceptor Concept?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
looks like they took ques from the Velite. I like the Velite better.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 12-22-2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
I will assume you meant me, since someone already sent me a PM about it. I apparently made it unclear, I was stating my prefference for a V8.

No sweat. Actually, I couldn't remember who it was, I just remember reading the post.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Well maybe you just need to learn to display your emotions differently next time.
No I displayed them pretty well for that car.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by ehaase
On a related note, the Lincoln concept

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/12/...n-mkr-concept/
That grill is HIDEOUS. Like some know-nothing exec kept walking through the design dept saying "no, it needs a BIG grill like the 300C or it won't sell!"

The rest of the car is really good-looking, IMO. But $50k for a V6?
Old 12-22-2006, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
That's an interesting bit.
It really does kinda surprise me that NOBODY has made a point of recognizing that the Mustang and F150 have both enjoyed the best launches of their history lately. And the choice to stay with a live axle was indeed a part of that equation. Ford's 8.8 has become a rock-crusher alongside the legendary 9" IMO.

BTW Proud, your garage rocks!
Thanks.
Those photos show almost half of my basement. On the other side of the wall are 2 more King Cobras and a Ranger bassboat with a 150 Mercury Black Max on it. My basement has been christened "ManLand" by the wife. I'm cool with it!
Did you spot my flag?
Unfortunately, I didn't get to see any of the images before they were "removed due to dispute".
I'll check back over the weekend to see if they are back up.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
It really does kinda surprise me that NOBODY has made a point of recognizing that the Mustang and F150 have both enjoyed the best launches of their history lately. And the choice to stay with a live axle was indeed a part of that equation. Ford's 8.8 has become a rock-crusher alongside the legendary 9" IMO.
Actually, I realized the part about the live axle. It's the other part about the Control Blade IRS that was surprising to me, since all the reports out of Oz had it as being cheaper, lighter and more compact than DEW's IRS.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:14 PM

the Blade system from OZ would not mount and was considerably heavier and costlier
Intersting

The next gen will likely offer IRS as a cost-upgrade option, but the base cars will maintain live axle again.
There is a god, and like beer and grits, this proves he loves us (well at least mustang people)
Old 12-22-2006, 07:41 PM

More on the MKR

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...opic=9292&st=0

Last edited by Z284ever; 12-22-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:24 PM

My god is that front grill is horrible looking. Looks like the sixteen concept but the designer had a few too many pops while drawing it
Old 12-22-2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Supergrobo82
My god is that front grill is horrible looking. Looks like the sixteen concept but the designer had a few too many pops while drawing it
I guess that I'm the lone heretic in the woods, because I think it looks great.

It makes a bold statement, just what Lincoln needs for a concept.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:09 PM

I think it looks alright. Id like to see it in person.

did anyone see the lincoln emblem in the tread of the tires?
Old 12-24-2006, 06:32 AM

mmmm twin turbo 6...nice. Ford for the love of all that's holy PLEASE drop a turbo 6 in the Fusion for an SVT model with AWD.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:09 PM

As for the IRS deal... IRS was originally coming along with the early work from the DEW platform by default. When it was decided to go D2C and make a unique chassis all to it's own, the IRS was put to question. It was decided that the D2C would possess the CAPABILITY to use IRS, but the live axle was primary concern, and it won the opening battles for 2 main reasons - one of which you guys have hit profusely - cost. The other reason, I am surprised nobody remembers.
Does anybody realize that the brand new Mustang, the one that was a completely new design, new chassis, new sheetmetal, new engine(s), basically new everything, and being built in a new plant by new people - all at the same time - is going into it's 3rd year of production with no recalls!
At the time, Ford was suffering from a slew of poor launches and recalls, and it was deemed imperative that the Mustang come off clean. Going with the live axle was a very calculated move to stay with components that were proven in battle. It worked.

The current D2C is IRS capable as it sits - no problem. I have pictures of the chassis and detailed data from Art Hyde before he left that spells it out - it is IRS capable right now. Connection points and sheetmetal geometry are there for the IRS in the DEW platform. Issue is that the IRS from DEW is not beefy enough to take the pounding, the Blade system from OZ would not mount and was considerably heavier and costlier, and the time (and cost) to redesign a beefier unit for the Mustang was risky - not having enough time to prototype, field test, and refine. SO... they stayed with live axles for cost and reliability. Hau Tai-Tang personally oversaw the refinement in mounting and control of the live axle in the new Mustang, and banked his reputation on it.

The next gen will likely offer IRS as a cost-upgrade option, but the base cars will maintain live axle again.
I would not be surprised to see an IRS offered under a GT350 or Boss 302 either in the next 2 years. <--- Mandatory winky there on that one!
Matches what I've been told.

Like I said, if you go to some of the people at Ford engineering (who have been designing far more IRS systems the past 20 years than live axle systems) saying the Mustang didn't have IRS because they couldn't get the geometry right, they're going to look at you like a complete retard.

Again, if engineering was an issue, it was because of weight and cost constraints.... plus PP's added issue..... ensuring a clean, recall free launch.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Matches what I've been told.

Like I said, if you go to some of the people at Ford engineering (who have been designing far more IRS systems the past 20 years than live axle systems) saying the Mustang didn't have IRS because they couldn't get the geometry right, they're going to look at you like a complete retard.

Again, if engineering was an issue, it was because of weight and cost constraints.... plus PP's added issue..... ensuring a clean, recall free launch.
I think Jay O'Connell's comments indicate that their wasn't the space to get the IRS geometry right, not that Ford didn't know how to get the geometry right. Big difference.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:49 PM

Nope. You aren't alone in those woods. I also like it.

Quick Reply: Why isn't anyone talking about Ford's Interceptor Concept?