Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Why isn't anyone talking about Ford's Interceptor Concept?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:03 PM

this thread has taken a bad turn...a very bad turn
Old 12-20-2006, 08:06 PM

The IRS was pulled out LAST MINUTE
So the SRA had to be created and tested in a relatively short ammount of time (from what I was told)

If it was last minute, guarenteed that they had a working IRS unit in that chassis
Old 12-20-2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Actually, Ford is already on record, publicly stating that the live axle saved $300 per car over IRS.

Weight? I think that 100 lbs figure is overstated. That's even more than the reverse engineered, MN12 based (read as HEAVY), Rube Goldberg set-up added to the '03/'04 Cobra....which was around 90 lbs...and that's compared to the SN95's austere, light weight 4 link rear. So it's reasonable to conclude that efficiently engineering one from the get-go, for a specific package with an already heavier than SN95 rear suspension, might only add half of that weight change. Most probably even less than that.

Using standard margins, a $300 per car cost would probably add up to something like $600 to $1000 in MSRP, right?

I go back to the weight gain quoted for the new Commodore IRS over the primitive IRS in the previous Commodore -- about 60 pounds as I read the tea leaves. Then there are little comments about Chevy having a hard time getting the Camaro to the Mustang's price point, and IRS being cited as one of the reasons.

All I can say is that I hope I'm reading the tea leaves wrong and that the rumors (maybe speculation is a more accurate word?) are wrong.

Of course, even after the Camaro is introduced, we still won't know how much weight and $$ the IRS adds. It won't matter at that point, either.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by black02
Of course, even after the Camaro is introduced, we still won't know how much weight and $$ the IRS adds. It won't matter at that point, either.
Speak for yourself.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:58 AM

Speak for yourself.
i say they just toss in a 12 bolt and call it a day
Old 12-21-2006, 05:16 PM

Speak for yourself.
I thought I'd speak for you too...

Btw, what I meant is that it'll be a done deal at that point, and of academic interest only. And I'll probably buy one, whatever the case (as long as it's under 4000 pounds!).
Old 12-21-2006, 09:37 PM

No, the guy who posted that definitely was not Proud.

BTW, where is Proud?
VACATIONING!!!!

IT'S WONDERFUL!!!

I actually have a few weeks off - at home - and I am doing some resto work along with "domestic duties". I have a 78 King Cobra on the rotisserie right now, and I'm doing my level best to get the front suspension fully detailed and installed by 1Jan07 so I can dismount it, finish the bumpers and bodywork, and start on the engine. Hope to have it done by summer if all goes well. All this means that I am not getting in front of computers much - and that's OK by me!

As for the IRS deal... IRS was originally coming along with the early work from the DEW platform by default. When it was decided to go D2C and make a unique chassis all to it's own, the IRS was put to question. It was decided that the D2C would possess the CAPABILITY to use IRS, but the live axle was primary concern, and it won the opening battles for 2 main reasons - one of which you guys have hit profusely - cost. The other reason, I am surprised nobody remembers.
Does anybody realize that the brand new Mustang, the one that was a completely new design, new chassis, new sheetmetal, new engine(s), basically new everything, and being built in a new plant by new people - all at the same time - is going into it's 3rd year of production with no recalls!
At the time, Ford was suffering from a slew of poor launches and recalls, and it was deemed imperative that the Mustang come off clean. Going with the live axle was a very calculated move to stay with components that were proven in battle. It worked.

The current D2C is IRS capable as it sits - no problem. I have pictures of the chassis and detailed data from Art Hyde before he left that spells it out - it is IRS capable right now. Connection points and sheetmetal geometry are there for the IRS in the DEW platform. Issue is that the IRS from DEW is not beefy enough to take the pounding, the Blade system from OZ would not mount and was considerably heavier and costlier, and the time (and cost) to redesign a beefier unit for the Mustang was risky - not having enough time to prototype, field test, and refine. SO... they stayed with live axles for cost and reliability. Hau Tai-Tang personally oversaw the refinement in mounting and control of the live axle in the new Mustang, and banked his reputation on it.

The next gen will likely offer IRS as a cost-upgrade option, but the base cars will maintain live axle again.
I would not be surprised to see an IRS offered under a GT350 or Boss 302 either in the next 2 years. <--- Mandatory winky there on that one!

As for this Interceptor... I honestly have nothing to offer. I will be as surprised as anyone on what Ford rolls out. Ford is REALLY GOOD at keeping secrets when they need to.
Just like the secret that the next Mustang is indeed done already. <---- Mandatory winky there too!

I have my guesses, but they are just that - guesses.
Hey, at least I am honest enough to admit it when I have nothing to bring!
Old 12-22-2006, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
Issue is that the IRS from DEW is not beefy enough to take the pounding, the Blade system from OZ would not mount and was considerably heavier and costlier, and the time (and cost) to redesign a beefier unit for the Mustang was risky - not having enough time to prototype, field test, and refine.
That's an interesting bit.

BTW Proud, your garage rocks!
Old 12-22-2006, 11:12 AM

On a related note, the Lincoln concept

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/12/...n-mkr-concept/
Old 12-22-2006, 11:25 AM

Why isn't anyone talking about Ford's Interceptor Concept?
Because I just saw the Jaguar concept.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by ehaase

Old 12-22-2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by CD/BP
Because I just saw the Jaguar concept.
Did you just try to link to emoticons from C&G?
Old 12-22-2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by ehaase

That's cool.

And who was it giving me crap about a turbo V6?
Old 12-22-2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Did you just try to link to emoticons from C&G?

There were none on Z28.com that accurately displayed my feelings about the Jaguar concept.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:26 PM

That's cool.

And who was it giving me crap about a turbo V6?
I will assume you meant me, since someone already sent me a PM about it. I apparently made it unclear, I was stating my prefference for a V8.
Originally Posted by CD/BP
There were none on Z28.com that accurately displayed my feelings about the Jaguar concept.
Well maybe you just need to learn to display your emotions differently next time.

Quick Reply: Why isn't anyone talking about Ford's Interceptor Concept?