Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Why isn't anyone talking about Ford's Interceptor Concept?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Im a little confused. I thought the Mustang platform was very loosely based on the LS. It would seem lengthening it to be a 4 dr would be the same as the next LS or is the Interceptor replacing the LS? If not maybe the cheaper Ford version? If thats the case does that mean the Falcon isnt comming to the US as it would be direct competition or would the Aussie Falcon become a Lincoln LS or a Merc?
The LS's platform - DEW98 - was deemed too expensive by Ford to make volume cars from. It also couldn't accept the Mod motor.

The transformation from DEW98 to the Mustang's D2C, dumped DEW's sophisticated front and rear suspension for Mustang's more austere set-up. But D2C retained much of DEW's floorplan and some structure. As an aside, I also understand it's more rigid. That's why I guess a sedan version would probably mimic the LS's dimensions. It'll probably also be a good chance to re-arrange the rear structure in order to make room for proper geometry on the IRS.

What's happening with the Aussie Falcon? Your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited by Z284ever; 12-17-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
That is the RWD sedan, based on the next gen Mustang D2C platform which will be at NAIAS next month.
http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/detroit...ngs-222348.php
Old 12-18-2006, 12:38 AM

I'm sorry, that's what talking about this would do if we had any info.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:13 AM

Could this ride on a similar platform that the four doo mustang was on?
Old 12-18-2006, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by mastrdrver
Could this ride on a similar platform that the four doo mustang was on?
I dont know if you could really use the term "platform" to describe a cloud of cannibus smoke wafting around a car mag's editorial offices...
Old 12-18-2006, 06:02 AM

Well...............

We can talk about the significance of Ford getting back into the sporty RWD sedan game.

We can talk about the fact that Lincoln might want to be part of this program, possibly with a twin turbo V6.
Twin turbo V6?
NA V8

We can talk about the IRS that this concept may have - the same one that the 10/11 Mustang will ride on.
I thought Ford had already engineered the IRS for Mustang when the current Mustang launced. Am I wrong about this? I was also under the impression that the next redesign Mustang was pretty much locked in. There was even a rendering online which looked pretty funky, Mustang II. Did Ford go back to the drawing board or did the bean counters say hey sports sedan on the chassis that we can sell in coupe form very well and at cheap prices, sure why not?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me

I thought Ford had already engineered the IRS for Mustang when the current Mustang launced. Am I wrong about this? I was also under the impression that the next redesign Mustang was pretty much locked in. There was even a rendering online which looked pretty funky, Mustang II. Did Ford go back to the drawing board or did the bean counters say hey sports sedan on the chassis that we can sell in coupe form very well and at cheap prices, sure why not?
Ford was originally planning on an IRS, but with all the changes to create D2C they were having some engineering issues packaging IRS with the right geometry. It would have eaten up some time as well, possibly pushing the program back. In the end it was just more expedient to move forward with a live axle and save the IRS for the MCE.

Maybe Proud Pony can chime in here, but I'm under the impression that the next Mustang is already locked in. I'm just wondering if all Mustangs - in fact all next gen D2C's ( if that is even in fact what it'll be called), will have IRS across the board or not. I'm guessing that it probably will be.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:11 PM

Exclamation

Ford was originally planning on an IRS, but with all the changes to create D2C they were having some engineering issues packaging IRS with the right geometry. It would have eaten up some time as well, possibly pushing the program back. In the end it was just more expedient to move forward with a live axle and save the IRS for the MCE.

???!!!!!!!!!

Ummm........
Old 12-18-2006, 07:32 PM

My dream is that the Interceptor (which should have a Hurricane V8) will be a preview of a RWD replacement, on a stretched Mustang platform, for both the D3 flop and the Panthers. It should be the size of the Chrysler 300 and the Zeta Impala, about 200 inches long. The production version would share its engines with the Mustang (perhaps either a 3.5L DOHC or 4.0L SOHC V6, a 4.6L SOHC V8, and a 5.8L Hurricane V8). I would use the Thunderbird name, although most would disagree. A Lincoln version (hopefully named Continental) would use the 3.7L V6 and the 6.2L V8.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by ehaase
I would use the Thunderbird name, although most would disagree.
I'm with you except on this point. I'd call it a Galaxie, misspelling and all.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:08 PM

I'd like to see Ford use the Thunderbird name again. I don't think that there is a market for a large Ford luxury coupe or a Ford luxury two seater, so I think Thunderbird could be used for a stylish large sedan.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:13 PM

I'd like to see Ford build a two-seat hi-po GT notched above the Mustang (Vette pricing, roughly) with some luxury touches and some serious high performance capabilities, and a luxo look, and call THAT Thunderbird. Sort of what the Chrysler Firepower was going to be. (Not that they could really justify such a car at this historical juncture; I'm just musing.)

Failing that, I think the name should sit on the shelf until a worthwhile product comes along.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:22 PM

When Ford discontinued the last T-Bird, they indicated that there was a good chance the Thunderbird would return again. So who knows.

Assuming Ford goes forward with a family of RWD cars, a Ford sedan is a no-brainer. Also, something for Lincoln. But what about Mercury? Should it get one?
Old 12-18-2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
???!!!!!!!!!

Ummm........
In an interview last January, Jay O'Connell, Chief Technical Engineer for SVT, said that packaging constraints specific to the Mustang, would not have allowed for optimum geometry for an IRS.

Also, someone on this board (can't remember who), that formerly worked on the Mustang, mentioned some packaging issues with it as well.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:32 PM

The Crown Vic/Police Interceptor is suppose to get all new sheet metal in 2008-9, and remain on the panther chassis until 2011-12.

Quick Reply: Why isn't anyone talking about Ford's Interceptor Concept?