Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Why Camaro need a 400hp MIDLEVEL engine...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 11:05 AM

Re: Why Camaro need a 400hp MIDLEVEL engine...

No, teens dont buy them, but there parents do. Either way, teens are behind the wheel off a 325hp sports car.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by IZ28
Later teens, early 20's. I've seen it with the last M*stangs. Yes sometimes parents helped, but they were still bought by the kids if they had to pay them back. (and of course, sometimes they don't) Same thing with 3rd Gens back in the day. V6 cars and low model V8's, some young people do save their money or get jobs for these purposes!
Most guys in there 20's can't afford the insurance on a new V8 Camaro. I had a great driving record but couldn't swing the $5K annual insurance so I waited until I reached 30 and there was an insurance break.

Used cars are a different story altogether.

Little rich snots who's mommy and daddy are spoiling them with brand new $30K+ sports cars are more likely to lean towards Beemers. (Like my sniveling little brat.)

Besides... if it is a niche car, you can forget about ever seeing a V6 Camaro again.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
No, teens dont buy them, but there parents do. Either way, teens are behind the wheel off a 325hp sports car.
Only if they're spoiled and have a good driving record.

One more point and my kid's riding a bicycle.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Schismblade
I agree with pacer.

You guys are acting like the LS2 is such a HUGE increase from the LS1. IT'S NOT.

I also see some:

"I'd kill myself in a 400HP car...blah...blah..blah"

"It's too fast"

"People will be afraid"

C'mon now, how much more does the LS2 actually put down than the LS1? 30-40rwhp? IT'S NOT THAT BIG OF AN INCREASE.

It would actually make sense considering the last of the F-bodies actually put down 350 Horsepower.

Use a LS2 as the midlevel and underrate it at about 350 Horsepower, just like they underrated the LS1. Would that make you sissies happy?

If some sissies are too afraid to drive an LS2, V8 5th gen Camaro, let them have the six, or buy a Mustang.

BTW: An ls1 camaro which is as much as 7 years older, still does a good job at taking out any 05' GTs.
I've driven C6s, and they really aren't all that fast as far as the initial acceleration surge. The LS2 is nothing to fear for daily driving.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by snorkelface
I've driven C6s, and they really aren't all that fast as far as the initial acceleration surge. The LS2 is nothing to fear for daily driving.
Exactly. People on here are going on like a 340rwhp car (LS2), is the same as a 500rwhp beast.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:16 PM

So what if the LS2 costs the same to make as the 5.3.

Escalades cost the same to make as Tahoes too.......

.....OOOPS!
Old 11-06-2004, 08:39 AM

NO. THEY MUST COME WITH A 300-350HP ENGINE. EVEN IF IT IS A WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE "300" HP ENGINE THAT MYSTERIOUSLY USES THE EXACT SAME COMPONENTS!

Ever try to insure one of these cars in NJ???
Old 11-06-2004, 08:41 AM

The 3.5L HV V6 costs the same as the 3.9.

The CTS's new "entry level" 2.8L HF V6 costs the same to manufacture as the more expensive to the consumer 3.6.

The Durango's midlevel SOHC 4.7 V8 costs more to manufacture than the pushrod 5.7L Hemi.... yet the consumer is charged more for the Hemi.

I could go on and on......................
Old 11-06-2004, 09:49 AM

Well, you're wrong. Stereotyping teenagers is never a good thing to do. Granted I'm buying a used 2000 Z28 instead of a brand new one. I'm 18...guess that makes me a teenager. I've been paying on it since I was about 16 and a half. I pay half the insurance too. My parents are paying for my gas now that I'm in college, but I used to pay that too. Before I bought this car, I paid cash, which I earned, for a 1991 RS with a 305 and low miles.

Does it scare you to have a teenager behind the wheel of a Z28? Doesn't bother me a bit, in fact, I'm a better driver than almost anyone I know. Most people who ride with me think so too. The ones who scare me are the ones with SUVs--cause they drive over **** and drive too fast, and let me tell you, I've seen one total a girl's Honda Accord and lay her up in the hospital for several months. I don't know how many of you check insurance rates, but my family and I checked them for the Z28 and several SUVs and typically, the SUVs were more to insure.

Point is, a sale is a sale, no matter who it's too. Whether it's a rich boy's parents or a 16 year old who's busting his @$$ so he can have the car he wants, GM still sells a car.

I'm off my soap box now. Sorry for the rant.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Abidar
Well, you're wrong. Stereotyping teenagers is never a good thing to do. Granted I'm buying a used 2000 Z28 instead of a brand new one. I'm 18...guess that makes me a teenager. I've been paying on it since I was about 16 and a half. I pay half the insurance too. My parents are paying for my gas now that I'm in college, but I used to pay that too. Before I bought this car, I paid cash, which I earned, for a 1991 RS with a 305 and low miles.

Does it scare you to have a teenager behind the wheel of a Z28? Doesn't bother me a bit, in fact, I'm a better driver than almost anyone I know. Most people who ride with me think so too. The ones who scare me are the ones with SUVs--cause they drive over **** and drive too fast, and let me tell you, I've seen one total a girl's Honda Accord and lay her up in the hospital for several months. I don't know how many of you check insurance rates, but my family and I checked them for the Z28 and several SUVs and typically, the SUVs were more to insure.

Point is, a sale is a sale, no matter who it's too. Whether it's a rich boy's parents or a 16 year old who's busting his @$$ so he can have the car he wants, GM still sells a car.

Congrats dude, but your an extremely rare breed. And considering its new car sales that matter in the auto industry, that didn't really help your argument any. But I still give you props for overtaking such a mountainous financial burden all in the name of the Camaro

SUVs scare me also, almost as much as ricers on the freeway.

Sale for sale, it does matter who its too. They keep statistics on the median age of buyers of vehicles, and when daddy buys a new Z28 for his son, they don't see the sons age, they see the dads age (probably over 40). So that affects how they market/option/make a car.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:09 AM

Exception to the rule. Being 20 years old, I do know that most kids that I have seen with an Fbody was because mommy and daddy got it for them, and I have seen many wrapped around polls because kids dont know how to handle performance cars.

WERM brings up a point that no one outside of this state understands. While insurance for a year might be "high", it can sometimes be as much as 1 month of payment for insurance in NJ.
I am not wrong, just look at the insurance rates on the car. You are doing something that not many people can do, and thats pay for a new car. Congrats, but that still doesnt mean that EVERYONE is like that. There are many that have mom and dad pay it all for them, while they go racing on the streets and crashing there cars, only to come back and have another new car waiting for them.
I have worked hard for my new car as well. Not many 20 year olds that can pay for a brand new car on top of insurance.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:52 PM

Exception to the rule. Being 20 years old, I do know that most kids that I have seen with an Fbody was because mommy and daddy got it for them, and I have seen many wrapped around polls because kids dont know how to handle performance cars.
At what age does someone stop being a "kid" as it pertains to being able to handle performance cars?
Old 11-06-2004, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Meccadeth
Congrats dude, but your an extremely rare breed. And considering its new car sales that matter in the auto industry, that didn't really help your argument any. But I still give you props for overtaking such a mountainous financial burden all in the name of the Camaro

SUVs scare me also, almost as much as ricers on the freeway.

Sale for sale, it does matter who its too. They keep statistics on the median age of buyers of vehicles, and when daddy buys a new Z28 for his son, they don't see the sons age, they see the dads age (probably over 40). So that affects how they market/option/make a car.
i'm never sure of this stereotype
just because you're young you're assumed to be a bad driver
granted there are some, but then again, there are some bad "adult" drivers too

one stupid or reckless person is just as stupid and reckless as the next

anyways, to actually say something about the topic...
we dont need a 400hp mid engine
Old 11-06-2004, 07:47 PM

Well hell, why not have three V8s? Give us a V6 so mommy and daddy can spoil there kids, which I know happens, but around here, they get Mercedes and BMWs. I'm well aware of it. I know a guy who wrapped a Mustang GT around a tree... imagine if he had had a Camaro. Well, actually the Camaro probably would have handled better and avoided the tree... but anyways.

Then give us 3 V8s. Yeah, I said it, three. Give us an LS4 for those who just want the V8, give us an LS2, and give us either a higher performing LS2 or a detuned LS7. Of course the LS7 will put you in Vette territory, but there are those who want the power with four seats.

Give my HP or give me death.

Actually, no, give me a Camaro or give me death.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:17 PM

amen. I would consider myself another excecption the non-existant (IMO) rule. Yes, a lot of kids dont know how to handle the power, and yes a lot of kids are spoiled. Im not saying Im not lucky, because I did get some help, but i definetly did my share of work to get it, and i do my share of work to keep it. I for one grew up on power (dirt bikes, four wheelers, etc.) Driving a camaro without crashing is a cinch compared to pointing the front end of 50hp CR250 in the right direction under WOT or doing a jump, etc. The power to weight ratio of the CR250 is MUCH greater than an LT1 Z.

As for the point of this post, yes the mid-level v8 should be aimed to make a few appearances in high school parking lots. I dont think that will happen if the horsepower its making is pushing 400. Insurance would be INSANE. My parents were hesitant to let me have 275 at 17.