Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

STS test drive report - EAT HOT DEATH, KRAUT BOYS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 08:27 AM

STS test drive report - EAT HOT DEATH, KRAUT BOYS!!!

The CTS-V was impressive, the STS was literally stunning.

2005 Cadillac STS V8, Pearl White, Luxury Package

I now make my declaration of war:

The STS is the best luxury V8 sedan under $80,000 ON THE PLANET. No ifs, ands or buts. There are some of the others I have not driven, but they had better be very, very, very good to compete with this thing.

Interior:

This is, hands down, the best interior I have ever seen from GM for fit and finish, and is vastly better than the "fields of black and gray" characterized by BMW and MB cars. It was flawless. Everything was exactly as it should be. Gaps and flushes were spot on, and so good that I had to double take them repeatedly. I pulled out my scale (that's engineering-speak for what the unwashed call a "ruler") and started measuring stuff. This is the first car I have EVER had to actually start taking objective data on to try to isolate flaws. Usually, I can glance at a car very quickly and they'll be easily seen all over the place.

After using the scale for a couple of minutes, with the salesman looking at me like I was from Mars, I stopped myself and muttered out loud:

"Wait a second, if I can't see them with the naked eye and no tools, the interior is visually perfect."

The wood is beautiful. Eucalyptus? Koala bears eat it apparently... so, if eucalyptus starts running short, start shooting Koala bears to keep the supply accessible for Cadillac - it's THAT good looking. Alternately, order McDonald's for the Koala bears... although that would probably upset the PETA folks even more since I think that qualifys as torture.

Anyway, the seats... oh, those lovely seats... They are not what folks typically think of in an American seat in that they are considerably firmer than the pillow-like luxury seats of old, but they don't pack your rear end up into your throat like BMW seats do either (BMW seats are outrageously hard). The seats hold my considerable bulk very well, and have enough adjustments to make the driving experience a joy.

Speakers in the seats... nice touch.

The leather is wonderful. Soft, clearly a product that came from a cow and not a sticky liquid that was pumped up out of the ground, and so organic feeling. Parts of me uncovered by clothing that touched the leather made the other parts of me that were covered by clothing jealous... all clothing remained in place, but it took some self-control.

"Well officer, the seats just felt so good that I decided to drive naked."

"Step out of the car please..."

"Here, just TOUCH the leather... please..."

Keyfob automatic lock/unlock... very nice.

As good as the leather was, I kept changing my hand position on the wheel to touch the wood.

Honestly, if this interior could cook and raise children, women would become unnecessary.

The Nav system and radio was excellent. I had to get lost on purpose just to spend more time in the car.

Ride and Handling:
Not too hard, not too soft, JUST RIGHT. It's not a low-slung performance car. It's not especially light. It IS unflappable. Exquisite poise. Never shaken, never out of it's element, just a flawless interpretation of the way a luxury sedan should ride.

Braking is excellent. The body does not pitch and roll or float.

Sigma is a signal achievement in automotive engineering. A true benchmark.

Engine:

I am very familiar with the Northstar, and this one was just like every other Northstar I've driven. Powerful, amazingly smooth and lusty when the "go" pedal meets the floormat. It makes all the right noises at all the right times and validates the two-tiered V8 engine system GM uses:

If you want to blow people off the road, tow heavy objects, get amazingly fuel economy and save weight, or exhibit all of the wonderful features of the fire-breathing American V8 monsters of lore, you get the LSx family.

If smoooooooth is what you're in the market for with enough technology to impress even the most ignorant of automotive writiers, you get the Northstar.

It's a great system.

As Journey used to say:

"Any way you want it, that's the way you need it."

And GM's got it.

Flaws? None yet. I'm going to go drive it again and again and again until I find some... may take years...

Oh, one further note:

Cadillac STS V6, more options than I can count:
48 month lease, 12,000 miles per year, $2500 total at signing.

$515/month

Go look up what you can get for a $515/month lease some time. If the STS doesn't immediately move to the top of the list, go drive one.

Last edited by PacerX; 04-28-2005 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:34 AM

Re: STS test drive report - EAT HOT DEATH, KRAUT BOYS!!!

Meh, not enough power.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by PacerX

Honestly, if this interior could cook and raise children, women would become unnecessary.
ROTFLMAO!

nice review
Old 04-28-2005, 08:41 AM

Well, that's a crap load better opinion than last months C&D test, although interestingly, they didn't think much of the 5 searis either. They seem to take offense at the interior materials which they DID NOT when they tested it alone. I don't remember if it was a V8 STS though.

Maybe they can use Koala pelts to line the center console?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:01 AM

So uh, cut to the chase, did you like it or not?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Beanboy
Meh, not enough power.
Have you driven one? I havnt, only reason I ask.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by dream '94 Z28
I don't remember if it was a V8 STS though.
The car they tested was V8, non sport suspension...cited cost as the prohibiting factor...

Hillarious review Pace... Did the car you drove have the sport suspension?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:16 AM

Well, that's a crap load better opinion than last months C&D test, although interestingly, they didn't think much of the 5 searis either. They seem to take offense at the interior materials which they DID NOT when they tested it alone. I don't remember if it was a V8 STS though.

Maybe they can use Koala pelts to line the center console?
I thought the STS interior was better than CTS....but, IMO, the upcoming Lucerne will be even better.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I thought the STS interior was better than CTS....but, IMO, the upcoming Lucerne will be even better.
That's what I've heard from everyone too, the STS is a Lutz interior, isn't it, while the CTS was pre Lutz? I may have to test drive a 3.6 5 speed CTS pretty soon to replace the ailing GP.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Beanboy
Meh, not enough power.
I got power handled. This car is not about acceleration contests. It's got the snot to wipe the floor with the vast majority of the automotive flotsam out there, but that's not the intent of this one.

If I want to annihilate... well... anything you've ever owned in an acceleration contest, I've got that covered... unless something you happen to have has "NASA" painted on the side of it... and even then you had better have the holeshot down to a science or you're still going to lose.

If I want a world-class V8 luxury sedan that provides the closest thing to really good sex in the automotive kingdom for less than $80,000, this is the car.

If you want a world-class V8 luxury sedan with tons of power, the STS-V is right around the corner.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:45 AM

That's what I've heard from everyone too, the STS is a Lutz interior, isn't it, while the CTS was pre Lutz? I may have to test drive a 3.6 5 speed CTS pretty soon to replace the ailing GP.
A six speed, 3.6 with sport package is still on my short list at new car purchase time.

Be careful though Tim. If you get one...you may never want to autocross your 4th gen again.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
A six speed, 3.6 with sport package is still on my short list at new car purchase time.

Be careful though Tim. If you get one...you may never want to autocross your 4th gen again.
Hmmm...and I'm sure it'll be a sweet ride for those east coast trips as well...... Maybe I'm trading in two cars.....
Old 04-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Disciple

Well, that's a crap load better opinion than last months C&D test, although interestingly, they didn't think much of the 5 searis either.
Note that PacerX did not instruct our friends from the east to join in the buffet.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by poSSum
Note that PacerX did not instruct our friends from the east to join in the buffet.
True...and it was an 'easterner' that won it all last month
Old 04-28-2005, 10:44 AM

True...and it was an 'easterner' that won it all last month
What are you guys talking about?

Quick Reply: STS test drive report - EAT HOT DEATH, KRAUT BOYS!!!