Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Reported: Newest Motortrend Has 05GT @ 5.1s 0-60 and 13.8 @99mph

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 03:48 PM

Lightbulb Re: Reported: Newest Motortrend Has 05GT @ 5.1s 0-60 and 13.8 @99mph

It appears that "some" people here over looked the fact that the 05 has a 5 speed auto. What happens to MPH (in the 1/4) when car X that went from a 3.55 rear gear ratio to 4.30 ...... and it trapped @ 99 mph with the 3.55
Old 10-04-2004, 04:10 PM

Re: Reported: Newest Motortrend Has 05GT @ 5.1s 0-60 and 13.8 @99mph

Originally Posted by guesswhoo
It appears that "some" people here over looked the fact that the 05 has a 5 speed auto. What happens to MPH (in the 1/4) when car X that went from a 3.55 rear gear ratio to 4.30 ...... and it trapped @ 99 mph with the 3.55
This might be a good point. If I remember correctly the car wasn't getting into 4th.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:32 PM

well here's the thing.. we all know the pro's and cons of live rear axle, but, I rather see a well engineered and executed IRS than a solid live rear axle any day... especially in a street car.

I'm hoping the IRS in the next Mustang will be much better than than a hacked up to make a fit design. Then perhaps I may consider it (although it'll probably push it towards the Vette pricerange, where then I would rather get a Vette)

Personally, I will not consdier another new car with a solid rear axle (even if it was a Camaro). If I wanted one, then I'll just keep my current f-bod, or perhaps go with a classic, mainly for style.

On turbo I4's and the such... A reason why I'm not all about them, is they are so ugly! That and I like the simple and linear feel of a big NA V8.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:33 PM

Thumbs up Re: Reported: Newest Motortrend Has 05GT @ 5.1s 0-60 and 13.8 @99mph

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
that would actually matter, but the final drive ratio is basically the same (and what matters the most). I will outline it for you:

Auto---------Manual
3.25---------3.34
2.44---------2.00
1.55---------1.32
1.00---------1.00
0.75---------0.67

Looking at it, looks like the auto is just plan better than the manual. It has a higher gear than all except 1st.

-Todd
Then I guess this when they (M/T) suggested that the low mph in the quarter might be due to big jump in ratios from 3rd to 4th (AUTO). It apparently really dropped out of the powerband. Thanks for the gear ratio chart!
Old 10-05-2004, 12:28 PM
slt

First, I'm by no means bragging about high 12's. I'm just saying that all this arguing over 1/4 mile times is overlooking other aspects of the car.

Originally Posted by PaperTarget
There's a lot of reviews coming out, of the few I've read, most all have high marks for the handling.
Well, in the article this thread is in reference to, they say the opposite when compared to the 350z and RX-8. They even drew a little box with pictures further explaining why the solid rear axle, while improved over the last model, is not quite getting it done. They also wrote about the brakes that had heavy fade after just two laps.
Originally Posted by PacerX
Good point. IRS only really has a handling advantage if the suspension is getting upset because of a rough track.
If the track is glassy smooth, the live axle (if that's the only difference) should come out on top.
Thats great, b/c 99% of the miles on my car are NOT on the track.
Now that the new Mustang is out and using a live axle, I'd like to see a comparo there. Methinks the IRS folks will be surprised....
Methinks you will see lots of comparisons once this car is out, and I bet all of them will rate the mustangs handling and braking dynamics near the bottom of this segment.
Putting the words "high 12 second quarter mile" in a post like it's a badge of honor is just silly, no matter what the displacement is.

Straight away speed is easy to fix if your goal is something as mundane as a high 12. If you goal is a 9, it is FAR from mundane and I hope you have a BIG budget for exploding drivetrain components and a trailer to get the car home with because I'm going to guarantee you start grendaing stuff in short order.

Pick a quarter mile time, any time at all, and the F-car or Mustang is going to be FAR more cost efficient getting there than an over-hyped turbocharged I4, regardless of manufacturer.
Here we go again with the 1/4 mile tunnel vision. Consumers these days are after more than strait away speed, that was my original point. Why are they selling so many 14 second rx-8's?
Finally, on a road course, neither pony car is a slouch and if the mod wars begin, your little Mitsu is gonna get spanked hard.
Your "pony cars" actually got spanked in the cannonball one lap of america sponsored by car and driver. I'm also looking foward to the upcoming car and driver super tuner challenge where a $40,000 evo beat on a lot of high dollar v8's.
Originally Posted by Ken S
well here's the thing.. we all know the pro's and cons of live rear axle, but, I rather see a well engineered and executed IRS than a solid live rear axle any day... especially in a street car.

Originally Posted by Ken S
On turbo I4's and the such... A reason why I'm not all about them, is they are so ugly! That and I like the simple and linear feel of a big NA V8.
My only problem with a V8 is the amount of weight that comes with it, especially in a front engine setup.

My whole point to this is that the mustang, from this article, doesn't seem like a great all around car. It appears to still be targeted at 1/4 mile racing which isn't what a lot of people look for in a sports car.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:16 PM

slt....you are biased. So am I.

Nobody really expects you to like the Mustang - given your choice of cars. I will state right now that I don't like the EVO or any other 4 cylinder econobox. The 350Z and RX8 are neat cars, but not my cup of tea either.

I have no idea how well the RX8 and/or 350Z are selling. If they are selling well, cool. I do know how the Mustang is selling, and how the 05 Mustang will likely sell, and I suspect that number is way, way more than both the cars you mentioned - combined. Perhaps there is something to why many of us don't have a problem with live axles and absolutely love V8s?

It is likely you can find plenty of opinion to back up your perspective. It is likely that I can find plenty to back up mine too.

Folks should keep these facts in perspective when reading your (and my) posts.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:24 PM

I'm glad to hear that the Z's brakes are good, as one problem you didn't mention about them is the tire problem. It would seem that they are wearing tires out in record speed.......... due to odd wear problems. Its not something that an alignment can fix, as it seems to be an engineering problem with the car.

As for the handling of the Mustang GT. According to the MT article, it pulled a slalom speed of 66mph. This says that the suspension is doing its job. As a way of comparison, MT got a 63.5mph from the '04 GTO, and a 66.2mph from the C6 Z51 Vette.

You have to understand that there is a general bias against solid axle cars in the automotive media. As someone so correctly pointed out, a solid axle car can handle as well or better than IRS........... just as long as the surface is smooth. The tradeoff being that for an equal amount of grip, the solid axle car will normally ride rougher.

One of the things that I find funny is the talk about the front still being a strut type suspention (even though it is now coil-over). What makes it funny is that the automotive media's handling pinnacle is usually the BMW 3-series............... which runs the exact same type of front strut suspension.

Bias maybe............. Nahhhhh............ a magazine wouldn't do that, would they???

BTW, while I respect the power and handling of the current crop of rally race bred pocket rockets.............. can't they please make them look better??? The EVO looks like a riced out Lancer, and the WRX STI............well........... what the hell is up with that hideous scoop??? It looks like something my first boyfriend made out of cardboard in his garage.