Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Ford sales down 4%

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 10:14 PM

Ford sales down 4%

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/relea...?release=19289

Despite fantastic sales of the F150, which should be high, the rest of Ford is falling to sh*t.
19% drop in sales for cars.

But dont worry cause the GT can smoke a Ferrari!
SVT will warranty your car if you break it durring racing!!
Here comes the 300hp Mustang GT!!
Old 10-03-2004, 10:17 PM

Re: Ford sales down 4%

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
http://media.ford.com/newsroom/relea...?release=19289

Despite fantastic sales of the F150, which should be high, the rest of Ford is falling to sh*t.
19% drop in sales for cars.

But dont worry cause the GT can smoke a Ferrari!
SVT will warranty your car if you break it durring racing!!
Here comes the 300hp Mustang GT!!
Al posted something negative about Ford
Old 10-03-2004, 10:20 PM

Please...if GM's sales were down, it would be posted on here 400 times by all of you.

I find it odd that GM's great sales this month were never posted, but last month when it was down, it was posted a few times....hrmmmmm I see how it works.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
Please...if GM's sales were down, it would be posted on here 400 times by all of you.

I find it odd that GM's great sales this month were never posted, but last month when it was down, it was posted a few times....hrmmmmm I see how it works.
I wouldn't be posting that stuff. Now Japanese sales down....that I'd be posting.

I've liked GM since day 1. Thing is, I'm in the market for a muscle car/pony car and only one company offers one, Ford. And IMO, they've done a great job.

I just don't quite understand your resentment towards Ford Al? Scary experience at a Ford dealer as a child j/k
Old 10-03-2004, 10:40 PM

No...Family has had 5 fords...all have fallen apart.
I dont understand the "I had a 80's (insert domestic auto maker) here and now I only by this"
But my family has had 5, count'em, 5 Tauri. All have had a handful of recalls. My 95 was king.

On top of that Camaro>Mustang.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:42 PM

Talking Re: Ford sales down 4%

"Falling to sh*t"? ROTFLMAO!!!
You need to learn how to read a financial report or P&L.
Automotive revenue at Ford is up over $7b through the 2nd quarter CY. Income from the automotive operations are $1.75b compared to $665m in FY03. Income from financial services is $2.64b in '04 compared to $1.39b in '03. Total company net income is $3.117b vs. $1.313b in FY03. Earnings per share has more than doubled the comparable period in FY03.
Sales figures don't reflect a company's financial solvency. You must not know this.

S.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:46 PM

oooo, all this money...and nothing to show for it. Yippy.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:51 PM

Talking Re: Ford sales down 4%

BTW, Al...GM's earnings through 2nd quarter were $2.621b, or about $500m behind the "falling to sh*t" Ford. ROTFLMAO!
Nothing to show for it? LOL...yeah, whatever you say.
S.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:23 PM

You guys just don't get it............ Al's never met a Ford he didn't hate.

Certainly makes sense to me....... his family had 5 Taurus's, and they all sucked (makes you wonder why they bought 5 if they were so terrible)....... so all Fords suck.

I had a 1975 Cutlass Supreme that was the biggest POS that ever existed................ thus............. all GM's must suck. I guess thats why I currently own 4 of them (we sold 1 to buy our camping trailer).

You are looking at sales figures right BEFORE the introduction of a bunch of important models.......... and after Ford already explained that they are not going after the big fleet sales (wonder who picked all of those up???)............ and take that as proof that Ford is going down the sh*tter???

I guess the fact that F-series sales were up 22% over Sept of last year (the second highest monthly total in their 56 year history) isn't a good showing??? How about the fact that the Superduty sales were almost as high as the F150 sales for that month??? (unprecedented for a HD truck). How about the excellent sales of Escapes??? No, we have to look at the car sales........... Mustang sales were way down............. gee what a surprise, as there aren't many left with the new model coming out. Taurus sales are way down........... hmmmm, couldn't have anything to do with lower rental car sales??? Ranger sales are down............. as are all compact trucks (look at the new Colorado and Canyon......... even the Tacoma).

Anyway, I know it is hopeless to argue with Al. He knows all........ but what he mainly knows is that everything Ford builds sucks........ and everything that GM builds is the best their ever was.

BTW, this is directed at Al only. Not the 95% of cool GM owners on this site.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:07 AM

ah...yeah..lets look at the escape shall we?

Car/Truck.....Sept 04...Sept 03....% +/-
Escape........12,564..... 13,216..... -4.9
down 5% YTD. Up for the year total, but compared to last year, down.
I guess you didnt realize that I said I have 5 of them, spaced out over 10 years...and all of them have had problems. You would figure that a car, built on the same chassis with teh same parts with the same engine...Ford would fix the problems by now that its a 15 year old chassis. Nope, still problems with springs busting in cold climates.

Why pick on me? Its not my fault Ford's sales are down 4%! Dont get mad at me cause I brought it to your attention. Eveyrone gets all testy when I say something about Ford.
Everyone else is having great sales, but Ford seems to be dipping. Ask yourself why? They are giving as much money away on cars as GM, if not more.
I said the F150 sales are up, and thats good...cause thats Fords golden child. Its the best truck out there, it should sell at these levels.

Actualy, I love the Ford GT and F series trucks, but does that matter? No, cause if I post this thread, it must mean that I hate all of Ford!! ARRR FORD!! DIE DIE DIE!!

All in all, Ford needs to stop f*ckign with super car concepts, and worry about the stuff real people buy.
Why hasnt Ford released the Focus on the new Mazda 3 chassis here in the US?
Why hasnt Ford let the Taurus and CV go?
Why doesnt Ford try and give Merc different sheetmetal then Ford?
THIS is what Ford needs to worry about. Not 550hp Supercars and trucks.
Ive changed my view on Ford. GM, Ford and DCX need to get back in the saddle and kick tail. GM and DCX are doing it...Ford needs to follow suit. Id rather see Ford stay at #2 in the US then see Toyota sneek up and grab it.
Enough of the "beat up on Big Al" crap, and realize what Ford is NOT doing.
Chevy might not have a "pony car", but its taking care of the rest of the buying public quite well.
Build up your cars first, take out the imports, then parade your "cool" toys in front of them.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:14 AM

You know, it is true that if GM sales were down, there would have been multiple posts about it. I was waiting to see if anyone posted something about it, but it never happened and I know a lot of people saw it. I'm not sure if I quite understand it.

Ford's cars are pretty weak and boring right now, I don't think anyone can dispute this. This also includes Mercury and Lincoln. We will see if they turn things around.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:30 AM

Car-wise, Ford was in a changeover "dead-spot" at the time.

Mustang was coming, the Taurus replacement is on the way, and there are a few other things in the pipeline.

That being said, Ford's car line is DOA right now. If the 500 is a success then Ford has a decent chance of pulling through.

Mustang will not provide enough sales to pull Ford through and the bread-n-butter cars will have to do so.

F150 is going to do pretty well, but will be wrapped up in yet another price war with GM which will limit profits.

Be VERY careful about making statements about relative profitability regarding GM unless you take into account the auxillary arms of the company... GM folks are pros at moving profits away from the automotive aspect of the company and into divisions like Hughes and GMAC.

Ask yourself this question:

Given 0% financing, how in the world can GMAC show a profit???
Old 10-04-2004, 06:23 PM

From the Autoextremist:

Quote of the Week: Steve Lyons, the Ford Division president, had this to say to the Detroit News about the Chevy vs. Ford sales battle (and Ford's reluctance to prop up sales by dumping cars into rental car fleets, or playing the incentive game to the degree that GM is), "If that costs us leadership, I guess I will be willing to congratulate Chevrolet on becoming the largest seller of rental cars in the world...and they can have that title."
Old 10-04-2004, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by WERM
From the Autoextremist:

Quote of the Week: Steve Lyons, the Ford Division president, had this to say to the Detroit News about the Chevy vs. Ford sales battle (and Ford's reluctance to prop up sales by dumping cars into rental car fleets, or playing the incentive game to the degree that GM is), "If that costs us leadership, I guess I will be willing to congratulate Chevrolet on becoming the largest seller of rental cars in the world...and they can have that title."
Sounds like he lives in Bittertown. I guess you have to find some way to deflect the reason why you are slipping.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:31 PM

Arrow Re: Ford sales down 4%

Originally Posted by PacerX
Be VERY careful about making statements about relative profitability regarding GM unless you take into account the auxillary arms of the company... GM folks are pros at moving profits away from the automotive aspect of the company and into divisions like Hughes and GMAC.

Ask yourself this question:

Given 0% financing, how in the world can GMAC show a profit???
Those figures do take into account GM's financing arm and other divisions under the GM banner. GM is still half a billion dollars behind Ford in net income through the 2nd quarter.
I believe it would be illegal for GM to hide net income. From a tax perspective, it would be the equivalent of tax evasion, whether they file on an accrual or cash basis (and I'm assuming these figures are accrual based). Also, it would be deceptive to shareholders to misrepresent net income by moving it elsewhere. If GM used net income to capitalize investment in other companies still under GM, or used it as operating income, it would still hit the bottom line.
As far as 0% financing...that's pretty simple, isn't it? Not everyone qualifies for 0% financing, and by tightening up the cut off, and bumping rates on non-qualified customers, I'm sure GMAC comes close to making up the difference.
Not matter what excuses or predictions you put on it, Ford, with $87b in revenue through the 2nd quarter is out earning GM's $97b in revenue by a rather substantial margin.
Originally Posted by PacerX
That being said, Ford's car line is DOA right now. If the 500 is a success then Ford has a decent chance of pulling through.
This is laughable because the same axiom might well apply to GM. "A decent chance" of pulling through? ROTFLMAO!
S.

Quick Reply: Ford sales down 4%