Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Purchase a new GM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass
I don't know what the answer is for them.
Own the 20% of the market you can own. Gm's engineering expertise is second to none.

Forget about recapturing 60% of the market... it isn't there to recapture.

Concentrate on making a profit from the market you can own.

Sell the choir the cars they want and hope the rest of the congregation will returm.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass
The reason GM will ultimately die is because the general U.S. population hates them. They can't get over the '70s and '80s when GM vehicles maybe weren't the best.
Sad to say, but until very recently, it has been difficult to put "world-class" and "GM passenger car" into the same sentence. The ugly history isn't all that long ago, and the problem is that three decades of accumulated poor buyer experiences will take a while to purge from the collective mindset of the motoring public.

GM failed to start this unwinding process early enough. It's as simple as that Had the new decade arrived with world-class product in every GM showroom, we'd be having a much different conversation today.

I don't know if the Big 3 will ever be able to power out of the bad perception thing. Even with a bailout, how do they change the public perception of the cars they build?
GM cars get better & better every year, yet their market share goes down every year.
GM gets better, sure - but it's damn difficult to build a vehicle that's substantially better than the competition.

The Big 3 lost market share rapidly because it was rather easy for the competition to waltz in and build a better product. The reverse case isn't true; there is no weak competition nowadays, and so market share cannot be regained as rapidly as it was lost.

I don't know what the answer is for them.
At this point, the only solution is a time machine. The clock has run out. Change didn't occur early enough, or fast enough. The big write-down in 2005 should have sent all the rats scurrying from the sinking ship, but for some reason, this didn't happen until last Friday.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:40 AM

I'd buy a Chevy or Cadillac, I dont have any faith in the long term of GMC, Buick, Pontiac, Saturn so I dont think I'd want to own one. I think Hummer will eventually separate from the pack and Saab's market share will become less.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:22 PM

You know, I really like the looks of the Hummer H3T. However, I'd have a hard time justifying paying north of $36k for a truck that:
Gets less gas mileage (even with the 3.7L I5) than what I currently have
Hauls less than what I currently have
Tows less (even with the 5.3L V8) than what I currently have
Its great and wonderful they're putting a 5.3L V8 in the H3T, but GM can't do any better than putting a 4 speed automatic in it?
If GM would build that truck to get about 22mpg highway and tow around 7000 lbs, and price it in the neighborhood of $30-32k, I'd have a serious look at it.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:35 PM

I have wondered too wife is interested in a Saturn Vue....

and I obvoiusly have my 2k7
Old 11-12-2008, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by onebadponcho
You know, I really like the looks of the Hummer H3T. However, I'd have a hard time justifying paying north of $36k for a truck that:
Gets less gas mileage (even with the 3.7L I5) than what I currently have
Hauls less than what I currently have
Tows less (even with the 5.3L V8) than what I currently have
Its great and wonderful they're putting a 5.3L V8 in the H3T, but GM can't do any better than putting a 4 speed automatic in it?
If GM would build that truck to get about 22mpg highway and tow around 7000 lbs, and price it in the neighborhood of $30-32k, I'd have a serious look at it.

I don't know that I'd seriously compare a Tundra to an H3T as far as a head's up comparo.... kinda two different animals, right?

I mean, Silverado/Sierra sure... even Avalanche maybe, but not H3T.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
I don't know that I'd seriously compare a Tundra to an H3T as far as a head's up comparo.... kinda two different animals, right?

I mean, Silverado/Sierra sure... even Avalanche maybe, but not H3T.
I see your point. I know the H3T is on the same frame as the Colorado/Canyon.

However, I, like most people (I'd think) would compare a potential new vehicle to what they already have.
If you're looking for a more direct comparison, a Toyota Tacoma also can tow more, gets better gas mileage, and costs WAY less than an H3T.
I'm just thinking that the H3T (especially with the 5.3L V8) should be able to tow more than 5900 lbs considering a Tacoma is rated to tow over 6500. Also, I would think that the H3T with the 5.3L should at least get 1mpg more than a Silverado/Sierra/Avalance with the same engine. I'd gather that a 5 or 6 speed automatic instead of a 4 speed in the H3T would fix that.

Last edited by onebadponcho; 11-12-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by onebadponcho
I see your point. I know the H3T is on the same frame as the Colorado/Canyon.

However, I, like most people (I'd think) would compare a potential new vehicle to what they already have.
If you're looking for a more direct comparison, a Toyota Tacoma also can tow more, gets better gas mileage, and costs WAY less than an H3T.
I'm just thinking that the H3T (especially with the 5.3L V8) should be able to tow more than 5000 lbs considering a Tacoma is rated to tow over 6500. Also, I would think that the H3T with the 5.3L should at least get 1mpg more than a Silverado/Sierra/Avalance with the same engine. I'd gather that a 5 or 6 speed automatic instead of a 4 speed in the H3T would fix that.

Those are all fine points.

I really considered the H3 when I was shopping and eventually ended buying my SRX... but the H3 just had too many short comings in my mind to get my money.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Plague
Everyone's cars are getting better and better. For GM to be successful, the cars need to be less expensive and the best. More people will start buying them then.

Kind of hard to say Toyota isn't the best when Lexus and Toyota top all of the dependability ratings. GM needs to win that.

Actually Toyota isn't and GM has won quite a few awards from J.D. Power.