Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Purchase a new GM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by GTOJack
Wagoner has stated that outsiders that have conducted surveys as to what would happen to potential customers if GM declared bankruptcy is very ugly. Resale value, parts, service, warrantys all come to mind.
Have a link?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Blown350ZZ4
One can argue that a GM BK would be the best thing for them considering healthcare, unions, etc. But then again, the poor pension holders and stock holders.

I want to stay loyal to GM and feel like I am doing my part to help them by being a loyal customer. I don't want to get screwed in the end though. How that can exactly happen, I have no idea. Thats what I'm wondering.

I don't think you'd get "screwed".
Old 11-08-2008, 10:37 AM
slt

Originally Posted by GTOJack
Wagoner has stated that outsiders that have conducted surveys as to what would happen to potential customers if GM declared bankruptcy is very ugly. Resale value, parts, service, warrantys all come to mind.
I'm sure resale value will fall off a cliff. I hadn't thought of parts. If GM BK's and stiffs their suppliers, that could very well become a problem as well.

We've always been a GM family and I get the GM discount, but at this point I would not buy a GM vehicle. I have untill the end of February to pick up a new car and if they continue at this rate I wont have any choice but to switch sides.

Last edited by slt; 11-08-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:51 AM

My friend in Florida bought an extended GM warranty for his 06 SSR and 06 Vette at the end of Sept and is considering cashing them in before GM goes belly up. I think he said he can get all his money back if he cashes them in by the end of Nov. He asked my opinion and I told him when you crunch the numbers, the long term future of GM does not look good.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:23 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27607725

GM WILL get help. The government can't ignore them even if they wanted to.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by super83Z
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27607725

GM WILL get help. The government can't ignore them even if they wanted to.
If it's all foreign to the proponents of 'free market'...

“It would be hard to find a country that has less of a broad infrastructure to support the auto industry than the U.S.,” says manufacturing expert Harley Shaiken, a professor at the University of California-Berkeley.

“I think many of the countries we compete with in automotive have a more significant investment in worker training, in broader forms of technical training.

“Certainly Germany and Japan do,” Shaiken tells Ward's. “Beyond that, I think there is a broader understanding of the importance of a manufacturing base to the health of an economy.”

Australia has pumped billions into its auto industry. Local and state governments have come up with millions more in the name of saving jobs.

http://wardsautoworld.com/ar/auto_us_lags_auto/
... reminder, there is no such thing as a 'free market'!!!
Old 11-09-2008, 07:13 AM

How is the best country in the world also full of so many idiots then? Every other country sees how vital a stron automaker is, why not here I just don't get it.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:49 AM

Bush equals zero help for US automakers, but Obama has said he wants to help when he gets in office.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:01 PM

Lightbulb

How is the best country in the world also full of so many idiots then? Every other country sees how vital a stron automaker is, why not here I just don't get it.
That's just IT, ALOT of people, "Just Don't Get It"!! And with the help of a press that absolutely hates the company, and in IMO the country....It's NOT too hard to see what's going on here...Some people out there, want US to FAIL! And many of them, have tremendous power over the above mentioned idiots! I wouldn't even think twice about buying a new GM, IF I was in a possition to right now! As soon as I can I will.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by SCNGENNFTHGEN
That's just IT, ALOT of people, "Just Don't Get It"!! And with the help of a press that absolutely hates the company, and in IMO the country....It's NOT too hard to see what's going on here...Some people out there, want US to FAIL! And many of them, have tremendous power over the above mentioned idiots! I wouldn't even think twice about buying a new GM, IF I was in a possition to right now! As soon as I can I will.

Same here man I don't need one right now or else I would love a new silverado. My 04 has 112K on it without a problem. If American automakers go under I'm going back to a horse and buggy.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:51 PM

Thumbs up

Same here man I don't need one right now or else I would love a new silverado. My 04 has 112K on it without a problem. If American automakers go under I'm going back to a horse and buggy.
Well I've got my bike, so no horse & buggy for me!! There's always the complete fabrication of whatever car you'd like to own! That guy with the Lambo in the basement is quite inspiring!! But you better be a great fabricator...lol!! It's the future of our country I worry about.....The American auto industry going under WILL NOT BE GOOD....for anyone now or in the future!!! I've got a while, but I do plan on buying a brand new car at some point in my life. I have time till my car comes out, to get into a better position to buy. There's only 1 car on my list of must have cars, and yall know what that is. And I don't care what the media says, I wouldn't buy anything but a GM car or truck.....If I was looking for a truck, I'd get an Avalanche! My friend has one, it's awesome! I've seen 45mpg on the highway, which is great for a big V8 truck IMHO...

Last edited by SCNGENNFTHGEN; 11-09-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:54 AM
slt

Originally Posted by SCNGENNFTHGEN
....If I was looking for a truck, I'd get an Avalanche! My friend has one, it's awesome! I've seen 45mpg on the highway, which is great for a big V8 truck IMHO...
LOL, I saw 99mpg in my Tahoe, coasting downhill for a few seconds. I never averaged over 20mpg, 45mpg in an Avalanche is a lofty claim.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:31 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by slt
LOL, I saw 99mpg in my Tahoe, coasting downhill for a few seconds. I never averaged over 20mpg, 45mpg in an Avalanche is a lofty claim.
It IS, but I've seen it and a little higher and it wasn't coasting down a hill!! Anything close to 20mpg IS pretty damn good for a massive V8 powered SUV though, don't you think? Don't expect to ever see that in print again, unless I type it. The press will never put that out there. All you'll see is SUV's are evil, as are all who drive them, and build them!! Unless you're a foreign company, then the press will bend right over for you!! I hope the press goes out of business too, along with ALL of the dinosaur media....
Old 11-10-2008, 04:47 PM

The reason GM will ultimately die is because the general U.S. population hates them. They can't get over the '70s and '80s when GM vehicles maybe weren't the best.

Read other boards, especially non-automotive ones and ESPECIALLY non-GM fan boards.
There's a lot of people that want to see GM and the other 2 go down. They say things like "can't wait", "they deserve it", or "serves them right". Of course the media feeds on that.

I don't know if the Big 3 will ever be able to power out of the bad perception thing. Even with a bailout, how do they change the public perception of the cars they build?
GM cars get better & better every year, yet their market share goes down every year.

I don't know what the answer is for them.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass
GM cars get better & better every year, yet their market share goes down every year.

I don't know what the answer is for them.
Everyone's cars are getting better and better. For GM to be successful, the cars need to be less expensive and the best. More people will start buying them then.

Kind of hard to say Toyota isn't the best when Lexus and Toyota top all of the dependability ratings. GM needs to win that.

Quick Reply: Purchase a new GM?