Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Pontiac has released an official pic of the GTO

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 01:48 PM
Prominent Member

Question Uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh.......

Originally posted by kizz
That yellow picture at the top of this thread is fake; it's a Photoshop. Unless the car comes with factory-installed front end misalignment ALso the lighting is totally fake and those wheels are NOT 18 inch. They are 18 inch on the red car, I'm guessing 17 inch on the yellow car. That picture is a recolored pic of the red car with different wheels pasted in........
Dude...that picture is from PONTIAC's web site...I doubt they need to "photoshop" a picture of the car.........I gotta' say you're way off base on this one......studio lighting and perspectives are not off.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:56 PM

Re: Uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh.......

Originally posted by Doug Harden, Pres CICC
Dude...that picture is from PONTIAC's web site...I doubt they need to "photoshop" a picture of the car.........I gotta' say you're way off base on this one......studio lighting and perspectives are not off.
Thanks for advice, but I know what I'm talking about when it comes to graphics If you think this is the first time they've done photo retouching, you're in for a surprise. Look at those common outdoor skidpad photos of a red 2002 T/A sliding around.. very common promo shots. The wheels are totally Photoshop. I have the original photos showing the older wheels from 98-99. This is just an example off the top of my head.

Back to this pic. Fact: that lighting is the same identical lighting on the smaller red pic. The angle is nearly identical, just a little off to one side from the red car. Fact: the red car has a wing, the yellow one does not. Fact: look closely at the wheels and compare to a KNOWN 18" Monaro wheel.. these here are 17" or less, not to mention that the front one is smaller than the rear, AND warped out of true (very out of alignment, if it was real) ! Fact: the whole outline of the car is kinda weird and greyish, and the yellow color is NOT how yellow would show up indoors under those light sources. The greyish unrealistic body outline implies that the car's body was a "selection" you can make in photoshop or other programs to select only the parts you want to modify. The modification in this case was from red to yellow.

Last edited by kizz; 12-31-2002 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:07 PM

kizz,
Regardless if it is a photoshop deal or not, it's still an official pic from Pontiac.
And there are to be two cars in the States at this time. One for the L.A. show and one for the Detroit show.
I'm sure the 2 cars differ somewhat in the trim department. Pontiac probably wants to gauge public reaction to both of them before making a final decision in which direction to go

And Branden,
might as well post up what you have now that Pontiac has a pic on their own site!
Old 12-31-2002, 02:09 PM

I've been one of the biggest GTO advocates around here, among huge criticism. I'm super excited about the GTO and I went as far as to guarantee it would sell out in 2004, so don't get me wrong, I love it. But that is in fact a retouched image.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:32 PM

Re: Re: Uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh.......

Thanks for advice, but I know what I'm talking about when it comes to graphics .
Apparently not man

That looks EXACTLY like the yellow car in the xxx DVD , same wheels even . The GTO in the DVD didnt have the spoiler though .
I think all of you waiting for this big suprise with the looks of this car are gonna be in for a let down here . Factory options are a short list . Want a sunroof ? , color matched guages ? m6 or a4 . The official POST dated release was slipped ( which I did get to read b4 the problem was fixed ) , probably already know that one , but eh . There werent any surprises in it really . Just making official most of the stuff that was rumored on here already .
Old 12-31-2002, 02:35 PM
Prominent Member

Lightbulb I hope I don't get in trouble for this, but......

...that image is NOT PS'd........here's a couple more just for giggles....please don't link to these......

Rear of the new GP and the yellow GTO

Top b&w shot of the GTO

(Dang, I hope I don't get smacked for this.....but hey, Pontiac already put the 1st one up........:crosses fingers
Old 12-31-2002, 02:53 PM

LOL .. I really have to ask this.. are you blind or you just like discounting my opinion since I'm not well known on here? It's gotta be one or the other. The dual car picture you just posted is an EXACT mirror image of the other GTO, except the grill emblem has been moved to the other side to look real once again! Doug and 90Z28SS I'm sorry but you're both wrong. Once again both pics are suffering from severe negative camber on the front wheel, which would make a real car suffer in handling. Give it up so we can move on.. OK? Here, take a look and let me know:

http://ohok.com/GTOfake.jpg
Old 12-31-2002, 02:59 PM

The wife and I like it very much.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:10 PM

Kizz - Gm does that with ALOT for images , as u already said . Notice I never said diagreed that it was an enhanced picture . All I was saying is it is 100% accurate of what the car is , enhanced or not . Its not enhanced to hide any surprises like alot of people would like to believe , its enhanced because its WAY cheaper to put a image of the car in that setting and change lighting and such than it is to actally shoot a real pic
Old 12-31-2002, 03:11 PM
Prominent Member

Not discounting anything......

LOL .. I really have to ask this.. are you blind or you just like discounting my opinion since I'm not well known on here? It's gotta be one or the other. .......
...not discounting you at all....in fact I can see some re-touching, it's just that it simply doesn't make sense for Pontiac to issue these photos and have them be very far from the actual final product....small imperfections in the pictures not withstanding.

This is it folks....and after this weekend, the folks in LA will see them in person, so no more guessing.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:36 PM

I can't believe you guys are arguing over this. Yes it is a retouched image. However, it is also the "official" release photo from Pontiac.

I seriously doubt the real deal will be drastically different.
Old 12-31-2002, 08:03 PM

I agree with guionM's entire post but will not repeat the whole thing here, it's quite thorough. Wifey just got home with my belated Christmas present... a xXx DVD! Later
Old 12-31-2002, 08:23 PM
Banned

I'd rather have a 67 GTO, thank you
Old 12-31-2002, 10:21 PM

i guess we're all entitled to our opinions. mine is is that it sucks. sure, it looks like a nice family sedan. it would almost make a choice between buying a grand am, a grand prix and a gto difficult. with the exception of having an ls1 in one of them. they might as well all be triplets. we dont have to go with a gto retro look. but at least give it a look of its own. and preferrably one that tends to look just the slightest bit more aggressive. it is a gto. not a beefed up grocery getter. just my .02.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:14 AM

Re: Buuuuuuuuttttttt............

Originally posted by Doug Harden, Pres CICC
.....EVERY GTO had hood scoops (except the '74 Nova/GTO that stole the TA's shaker hood) to differentiate them from their boorish cousins.................
Boorish indeed.

Although, I don't think any type of gaudy hoodscoops or ground effects will help the new "GTO's" dull appearance. Looking at the latest pictures, the new "GTO" actually looks more boring than the Grand Prix.

If Pontiac, instead of releasing the new GTO, said "We are going to drop an LS1 drivetrain into the current Grand Prix, redesign the suspension, and make the interior high quality, and charge $35,000", would you guys be thrilled?

Quick Reply: Pontiac has released an official pic of the GTO