Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Pontiac G8 GT long term wrap up

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:05 AM

Pontiac G8 GT long term wrap up

A bittersweet article on Edmunds

http://www.insideline.com/pontiac/g8...iac-g8-gt.html
Old 02-18-2010, 05:01 AM

I really wish I had the cash to pick one up. I have seen a few with under 30k for the $20k price.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:06 AM

Very positive review but a couple of points...

- Not sure about the 13000 mile oil changes? Personally, I would be changing my oil no later than 10,000 km (6,000 miles).

- New brakes were necessary at 36,000 miles?!?! That's below par. Just goes to show, you can't go wrong with good performance spec brakes.

Trouble free miles is the key. Sounds like they had fun overall and are looking forward to the next model...
Old 02-18-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby

- Not sure about the 13000 mile oil changes? Personally, I would be changing my oil no later than 10,000 km (6,000 miles).

- New brakes were necessary at 36,000 miles?!?! That's below par. Just goes to show, you can't go wrong with good performance spec brakes.

Trouble free miles is the key. Sounds like they had fun overall and are looking forward to the next model...
I feel bad for the guy who bought that car...that G8's been ragged to **** for the past 36,000 miles. You don't get quarter mile and slalom times (not to mention 12mpg) taken it lightly on the car...
Old 02-18-2010, 09:22 AM

Ditto, I change oil 8,000 kms on the Mazda (per owner's manual) and every 10,000 km on the Audi.

New brakes were necessary at 36,000 miles?!?! That's below par. Just goes to show, you can't go wrong with good performance spec brakes.
Well, the Audi had its brakes replaced frequently. It's a heavy car, and the brakes are really quite good on it (V8 version had upgraded brakes). But they wore out often, about 45,000 - 50,000.

My Mazda, though, still has the original pads, but they will need to be replaced now, at 80,000 kms.

So, a budget car is built for low maintenance, premium cars are built for $$$. That's been my experience.

And don't get me started on my Camaro's rear brakes. Those suckers wouldn't last past 35,000 kms.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:06 AM

Below par!? You are aware you said miles, and not kilometers, right?

Most cars built in the last couple of decades get on average 30-40K miles out of the factory installed front brakes. If you have a performance car (or heavy car), like the G8 GT, that gets 36K miles from the brakes, you're doing well!
Old 02-18-2010, 11:29 AM

fwiw, I have over 60K on my G8 GT... I'm still on my original brakes and they are far from used up. I also change my oil every 10K using Mobil one synthetic.

My only complaints on the car where
1.) Front Control Arms - GM stepped up and fixed it out of warranty!
2.) Drivers side door locks have issues and don't always lock with the key fob
3.) Transmission sometime has to find itself... I fixed this myself with a flash from Vector

Also, with my new ECM I'm knocking down 29mpg hwy on 91! Pretty darn good for a car that makes 400hp!
Old 02-18-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by ADV1
fwiw, I have over 60K on my G8 GT... I'm still on my original brakes and they are far from used up. I also change my oil every 10K using Mobil one synthetic.
Brake life really depends on where the car is driven. Around here, with my commute that sees frequent stops from 40-50 for changing lights or stopped traffic, they get used a lot harder than they would in a less densely populated area.

3.) Transmission sometime has to find itself... I fixed this myself with a flash from Vector

Also, with my new ECM I'm knocking down 29mpg hwy on 91! Pretty darn good for a car that makes 400hp!
Where did you get the ECM from? Also, who is Vector?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ADV1

I saw some of your posts on G8GT.com ... glad that GM did the right thing for you on that. My issues are:

1) Control arms, again. Been in the shop twice for it, last time they replaced all four. Here's hoping the new parts are different (and of course better) than the originals
2) My stereo/HVAC screen sometimes doesn't come on. This is another somewhat known problem, and will likely require replacement of the screen soon
3) My tranny sometimes gets confused too ... usually when coasting down to about 25 mph and then wanting to accelerate again. There was a campaign for that at one time, I should ask the dealer about it next time it's in.

As for oil changes, I'm a firm believer in doing what the computer tells me, not some half-baked wisdom handed down from the days of slobbering carburetors, loose manufacturing tolerances, and poor quality oil. As it turns out, I don't drive enough in one year (maybe 10k miles) to trip the computer's reminder, so I change the oil once per year.

Slightly off topic: looks like someone finally came up with a decent (and drone free) exhaust for our cars. I'm hoping to get some Solo axlebacks in a few weeks
Old 02-19-2010, 12:58 AM

I agree but I think the brake life has to have some relation to the way they were driving the car. Just as zq8colorado04 said, you don't get the performance numbers from driving the car like a grandmother. They are sweet cars though. If they were available at the prices they are now when I bought my TL they would have been on the short list.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Below par!? You are aware you said miles, and not kilometers, right?

Most cars built in the last couple of decades get on average 30-40K miles out of the factory installed front brakes. If you have a performance car (or heavy car), like the G8 GT, that gets 36K miles from the brakes, you're doing well!
Correct. I had aftermarket PBR brakes on my SS. I did well over 60,000 km with normal driving. Not even half worn.

I do accept, however, that these guys absolutely gave the car plenty around the test circuits.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:59 AM

http://www.insideline.com/mitsubishi...ac-g8-gxp.html

This is the car I was hoping to read about.

I was a little disappointed that they went with the Evo. Not everyday a car get's COMPLETELY BENT OVER in price, hp, tq, 0-60, 1/4 mile and braking... and still wins the comparison test.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:42 AM

Damn....I wish I had bought the GT, although I still love my V6 powered G8. It is one of the best cars I've ever owned. People that ride in it with me can't believe how well the car rides, although the comments I always get are "oh...too bad its a Pontiac...." or "too bad its a GM"....sigh......

On a positive note, I'll be keeping this car for a long time......I'm very pleased with it.......