Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles
View Poll Results: Which Camaro model is LEAST important to a 5th gen?
Base Camaro
38.98%
SS
27.12%
Z/28
13.56%
They are ALL unimportant.
20.34%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

PARALLEL UNIVERSE POLL! Which Camaro model is least important

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 12:42 AM

PARALLEL UNIVERSE POLL! Which Camaro model is least important

As a companion to the other poll...which Camaro model is the least critical to Camaro's future success?
Old 05-02-2003, 01:03 AM

I was going to vote for "they are ALL improtant", but since the only choice was "they are ALL UNimportant", I voted for that, considering there is no 5th gen yet.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:09 AM

The SS. The Camaro was incredibly successfull for years and years without it and it only complicates the lineup now. Either they make real differences to it so the Z28 doesn't look stupid or demoted again, or leave it out once more.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:19 AM

I think the SS is important if they want to compete with Mustang trims.

V6 Camaro Vs. V6 Mustang

Camaro Z28 Vs. Mustang GT

Camaro SS Vs. Mustang SVT Cobra

They really need to widen the gap between the SS and the Z28 performance wise.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by Pentatonic
I was going to vote for "they are ALL improtant", but since the only choice was "they are ALL UNimportant", I voted for that, considering there is no 5th gen yet.

LOL. Ya, I voted for the ALL thing thinking it read They are all important not unimportant.

I guess I should read closer...
Old 05-02-2003, 09:02 AM

SS.

How can you justify making this model more important just to compete with the Cobra which sells in limited quantities? If I recall, Cobra's production is less than 10,000 or even closer to 5,000. A fifth gen Camaro will have to sell in a lot larger quantities than for that to be a significant portion--or it'll see a real long hiatus.

This almost makes me wonder if an SS model will even be available when the car launches. We see what Chevy does now with the C6 Z06 and what Ford will do with holding the next Cobra back for a year--I don't think it's unimaginable that it'd be a few years before an SS model is reintroduced. Afterall, the fourth gens got off to a nice start without SS and it was an afterthought from SLP when it did return.

I see it and/or other special editions breathing life into the car after a few years once the newness wears off. Perhaps holding a convertible back a year wouldn't be bad either. This staggering of such introductions seems the rule of thumb now (C5, 350Z, Boxster, etc.).

Last edited by jrp4uc; 05-02-2003 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:06 AM

SS is very very very important.

There's alot of people out there who absolutely would rather pay $30,000+++ to get that hood, SS labels, and 1" bigger wheels, than the lowly $23-25,000 Z28 with the same engine and performance!

The sales history bears this out.
(The last part, unlike the rest of this post, isn't sarcasm but actually true )

Last edited by guionM; 05-02-2003 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by guionM

There's alot of people out there who absolutely would rather pay $30,000+++ to get that hood, SS labels, and 1" bigger wheels, than the lowly $23-25,000 Z28 with the same engine and performance!

Eaxactly!!

Truth is SS was a good money maker for GM... and it left Z28 as the "no frills, no BS" performance Camaro that so many here say it should be... ...yet say it wasn't ...
Old 05-02-2003, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by guionM

But who knows if the next Z28 itself won't incorporate some of these styling cues? Mustang GT has a hoodscoop and the new one is said to have 18" wheels.

I'm under the belief that SS and WS6 models saw more sales in the last few years because that was the majority of what dealer's ordered. It seems it's more rare now to see a "regular" Z28 or Trans Am than WS6. The SS/WS6 proved to be successful because it was the closest thing to something new for a stale car. I think that $30k pricetag scared more people off than winning them over.

What happens to that theory when you talk about the third gens sales? There were no SS glamour packages to push sales then.

Last edited by jrp4uc; 05-02-2003 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by jrp4uc

What happens to that theory when you talk about the third gens sales? There were no SS glamour packages to push sales then.

Sure there was... they were called IROC-Z and Trans Am GTA .
Old 05-02-2003, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
Sure there was... they were called IROC-Z and Trans Am GTA .
That's still not "SS" which was what was in question and proves it wasn't needed. This backs my point that these alternative models can be added to the lineup later to spruce things up.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:27 AM

Why can't they have all 3 plus an RS or maybe even a Type LT in the Camaro lineup like they did in previous gen lineups?though 3rds didn't have an SS.Diversity could be a good thing.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by jrp4uc
That's still not "SS" which was what was in question and proves it wasn't needed. This backs my point that these alternative models can be added to the lineup later to spruce things up.
Again, I'll pose the question:

What is the difference between SS and IROC-Z and WS6 and GTA in comparision ot their Generation of car?

All came in as later additions to their lineups, all were visual and suspension upgrades...

They are the same things, just with different names...
Old 05-02-2003, 09:35 AM

Seeing as how the SS was just a package on the Z-28 the last yeas it was out, its the least important because you need a Z-28 to put the SS package on.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
Again, I'll pose the question:

What is the difference between SS and IROC-Z and WS6 and GTA in comparision ot their Generation of car?

All came in as later additions to their lineups, all were visual and suspension upgrades...

They are the same things, just with different names...
But if the intent is for the SS to compete with the Cobra, such minor upgrades will not be enough. I think I posted it in the parallel poll, but if/when the SS returns (or whatever top model designation you like), it should provide more substance and separation from the Z28 (base V8) model. The Cobra's visuals are quite minor over the GT; it earns all its credibility from substance.

Even though "SS" models are popular across the Chevy line right now, I'd be surprised if it was available immediately upon fifth gen launch (unless it replaces Z28). You can provide a lot of options and customizablity without necessarily having to offer a large variety of model names (see Mini Cooper and Cooper S: 2 models with endless number of options).

The demand will be there simply because the cars would be new and have been on hiatus. I think an SS model introduced later along with other limited specialty models (ala Bullitt, Mach1) would be more realistic and a better business plan, along with more consistent general refreshening.

Quick Reply: PARALLEL UNIVERSE POLL! Which Camaro model is least important