Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

With Olds gone....

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 12:29 AM
cmc

Chevrolet: We'll be there
Buick: It's all good
Pontiac: Driving excitement
Cadillac: Breakthrough

Notice that they keep running the same Cadillac ads. GM advertising has not changed. And all except the Cadillac ads use horrible stock footage with editing worse than what I've seen in high school film projects, interlaced with enthusiastic spouting of financing rates and option package discounts. Nobody learns anything about the cars. There's absolutely no appeal.

It's a joke. About the only thing dumber than the home-video Pontiac commercials is the one time I saw an infomercial for the Buick Rendezvous. Nevermind that they didn't delve into anything that might make it desirable either (though the infomercials get closer than the 30-second spots), but they interviewed a woman who said that the three row seating was just what she needed for her three kids.

Does GM take us all for fools? Let's not forget the new and great cars that they're shoving down our throat. Namely the jacked-up Silverado SS, Avalanche, and Cadillac EXT.

Lutz is doing a wonderful job choosing the marketing people for the current products. Let's see how they do with the new ones. Who wants to bet the new Malibu wagon will be called a "Crossover", or "extended sedan"?
Old 07-05-2002, 12:46 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z28Wilson:
The "We'll be there" slogan obviously plays off the new "reliable" angle of Chevy. I laugh at it though, I mean go to the Camaro page at chevy.com. Camaro. We'll be there.

I literally cringe when I see one of those ads. It does absolutely nothing to peak my interest in Chevy products...let alone buy them.

I get the impression that alot of these "marketing" people live in their own world of canned phrases and market-speak...whithout even the slightest clue or focused thought in their little minds.

They,and the Olds brand managers bear full responsibility for what has happened to the once proud and successful Oldsmobile division.

</font>
Old 07-05-2002, 03:05 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by muckz:
but they suffered from the same thing from which most american cars suffer: bulk-, warehouse-packaged appearance.</font>
Ever seen a Bimmer or Acura..or Toyota??

Not very inspiring
Old 07-05-2002, 07:29 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmc:
Chevrolet: We'll be there
Buick: It's all good
Pontiac: Driving excitement
Cadillac: Breakthrough

Notice that they keep running the same Cadillac ads. GM advertising has not changed. And all except the Cadillac ads use horrible stock footage with editing worse than what I've seen in high school film projects, interlaced with enthusiastic spouting of financing rates and option package discounts. Nobody learns anything about the cars. There's absolutely no appeal.

It's a joke. About the only thing dumber than the home-video Pontiac commercials is the one time I saw an infomercial for the Buick Rendezvous. Nevermind that they didn't delve into anything that might make it desirable either (though the infomercials get closer than the 30-second spots), but they interviewed a woman who said that the three row seating was just what she needed for her three kids.

Does GM take us all for fools? Let's not forget the new and great cars that they're shoving down our throat. Namely the jacked-up Silverado SS, Avalanche, and Cadillac EXT.

Lutz is doing a wonderful job choosing the marketing people for the current products. Let's see how they do with the new ones. Who wants to bet the new Malibu wagon will be called a "Crossover", or "extended sedan"?
</font>
I think you hit 3 out of 4 right. The Chevy, Buick, and especially Pontiac ads are horrible right now.

Cadillac's ads are fantastic.
Old 07-05-2002, 09:44 AM

AD: What would you do if you were handed a set of keys to a new Vibe?

ME: Throw them back and tell them to shove 'em up their a$$. "And get me a set a keys to a WS6 or GTO, b***h!!"

Old 07-05-2002, 11:48 AM
cmc

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Xed:
I think you hit 3 out of 4 right. The Chevy, Buick, and especially Pontiac ads are horrible right now.

Cadillac's ads are fantastic.
</font>
They're great, but I still think some new material would be useful. They're by far the best of the bunch. They're also really on the edge of repetitive. Same song, no new footage.