Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Now this is something we can all complain about.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 10:29 PM

Post Now this is something we can all complain about.

I just read on the SLP board that they will be working with Buick on a special version of the Regal GS. Guess what they are going to call it? Yup. That's right. GSX.
Now THAT is prostituting a nameplate. A FWD, V-6 car, no matter how nice or fast, does not deserve such a legendary nameplate. In no way will this car stay true to the GSX heritage.
THIS is wrong.
Old 06-29-2002, 10:32 PM
Prominent Member

Thumbs down

See what happens when people don't hold GM accountable....
Old 06-30-2002, 01:08 AM

Exactly. Thats why some of us are acting like this towards the GTO.

------------------
Camaro/Chevrolet crazy F-Body lunatic.

"The new GTO, the Grand Prix/Am of musclecars." http://oz.uc.edu/~padgetjr/compare.jpg
Old 06-30-2002, 01:28 AM

Yup Mark, I agree with you, it is another waste of revered names and letters.

Like an average person that buys a Regal is gonna remember what those letters stood for back then. What really is so hard about coming up with new names or new letter designations????

Precedent for this was set back in the 90s tho when Buick starting calling upper trim levels on Regals Gran Sport. Back then tho there was only Al Gore and a few other internet gurus to debate it on the internet.

But I think those old names are valuable capial, a corporate inheretance, with lots of goodwill, and should not be squandered unwisely. Save the names for niche cars that are appropriate and well thought out and planned.

Old 06-30-2002, 01:42 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IZ28:

</font>
I still think the GTO is a good thing!

Old 06-30-2002, 04:10 AM

</font>
GNX is a waste. Whoever thought of that at SLP should be dragged out into an alley and shot. FWD V6? No thank you.

GTO? C'mon. We've gone through this TOO many times. The people here that don't understand GTO's new purpose here are griping because:
a) Its not built in the US
b) It doesn't have retro cues
c) They don't like ONE SKETCH
d) They wish the GTO name would be untouched

D I can understand.
A though, I do a little bit. But its still GM and the way GM is with every car sharing the same motor and parts, its understandable.
B though is an extremely weak argument by those that don't comprehend the term 'modern interpretation' and desire to live their desires in the past instead of thinking of the future.
C is weak. Its one sketch. Lutz won't disappoint. Its not meant to be a firebird with huge hood nostrils and a HUGE spoiler. True, they look bad @ss on a Trans Am, but this is a different market segment that needs a different type of car. By the time GTO comes out, the G Force styled Grand Prix will be out and they will look completely different.

But whatever. I'm not going to rant anymore. I already expressed my views in a really lengthy post in a vew threads back.

I won't say anymore. What's the purpose of arguing to people that refuse to listen?
Old 06-30-2002, 05:20 AM

It is you and the people that support the looks that won't listen. Modern interpritation?? LOL. Of what, a GTO or GTP?? GTP. There's no GTO in the looks of that thing thats for sure. But say you like it, say you'll buy it, go ahead. Thats what they want, to not make a car all it can be or as cool as it can be and still get sales. Whatever. They'll keep the BS up and we'll never get exactly what we want. Yeah its a GTO mechanically but thats it, it could be in other ways too but they didn't bother. When people can't tell your $30,000 GTO from a Grand Prix/Am and it doesn't get the recognition it deserves because of this, you'll probably think different.

And I wish GM would realize they don't need SLP to make their cars better.

------------------

"The new GTO, the Grand Prix/Am of musclecars." http://oz.uc.edu/~padgetjr/compare.jpg

[This message has been edited by IZ28 (edited June 30, 2002).]
Old 06-30-2002, 06:39 AM
cmc

It is you and the people that support the looks that won't listen. Modern interpritation?? LOL. Of what, a GTO or GTP?? GTP. There's no GTO in the looks of that thing thats for sure.</font>
Which GTOs of the past had retro styling cues? I mean, when they switched the GTO name from one model to another, did they restyle the new model to match the older one?

You people should stop obsessing with retro! It is a passing fad that has just about already passed!
Old 06-30-2002, 03:34 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Reno Leigh:
Precedent for this was set back in the 90s tho when Buick starting calling upper trim levels on Regals Gran Sport. </font>
This has been going on for longer than that. Lots of cars in the '70s and '80s inherited names when they were mere shadows of the originals. Remember the Nova and LeMans?
Old 06-30-2002, 04:09 PM

Don't compare the new GSX to the new GTO. If anything, what's happening with the GSX proves that what's happening with the GTO is right.
They put a historic name on a car that has nothing to do with with the legend, except that it has a Buick emblem on it.
This is NOT true in the GTOs case.
Old 06-30-2002, 04:36 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmc:
Which GTOs of the past had retro styling cues? I mean, when they switched the GTO name from one model to another, did they restyle the new model to match the older one?

You people should stop obsessing with retro! It is a passing fad that has just about already passed!
</font>
Doh.

Is the car not making a return after LOTS of years of off?? This is no regular car either, its gonna have the GTO name. Some modern visual ties with the real GTO's would be nice. Even if they don't make it have cues it could look alot better than that and it should be different looking and distinguisable from the others from all views. Settle for the GPO's plain indifferent looks though, because if they can keep making cars that look like that and they sell, they will.

------------------

Old 06-30-2002, 04:39 PM

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmc:

</font>
Thank you!

Old 06-30-2002, 04:55 PM

Red face

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HuJass:
I just read on the SLP board that they will be working with Buick on a special version of the Regal GS. Guess what they are going to call it? Yup. That's right. GSX.
Now THAT is prostituting a nameplate. A FWD, V-6 car, no matter how nice or fast, does not deserve such a legendary nameplate. In no way will this car stay true to the GSX heritage.
THIS is wrong.
</font>

Why is this prostituting a great name anymore than we feel about the GTO??? If anything, you (and others promoting the GTO) should be promoting the GSX!

The regal is the modern-day equivalent to the skylark (mid-size 2-door coupe). Yes, it happens to be FWD, but all GM cars except one, now are FWD. So, like many have said, IT EVOLVED WITH TIME!!!! The skylark (regal) never really died in FUNCTION. [Techniclly, the skylark went to a compact car platform for a period, that's where I'm saying the Regal took the function of the Skylark]. The fact that this car is FWD should be a non-issue because it follows the rest of the Buick model lineup's drivetrain pholsophy.

And there should be no issues with the styling because the GSX will obviously look like the regal and hence the rest of the Biuck current model lineup!

YOU GUYS SHOULD BE IN HOG HEAVEN!!!!!

The musclecar days are back, and GM is leading the way!!! We've got the GSX coming back, the Impala SS is coming back, and the Grand-T-O is coming back! Oldsmobile is dead so that's a wash. The youth will be lineing up at the dealerships to buy these just like the good old days!!!

------------------
'69 GTO 400 H.O. 350 HP
'96 Bonneville 231 S.D.
'96 Sunfire 2.4L H.O.
Old 06-30-2002, 10:52 PM

Angry

I am not going to write about the GTO issue in this thread.

I am going to say that if you guys are not seeing a bad trend here, you need a kiss from a magical princess and a swift kick from a glass slipper.
I've lost count of the times that I have written that you are just giving GM the stamp of approval for such naming practices when you say,"Well, I like it, I don't care if it doesn't have a _______.(You fill in the blank.)" or "Well, I'll bet the next model will be designed better with more ______ than this one, so I'll wait and see...".

This GSX thing sucks, just like the other name-pimping travesties GM has perpetuated over the last decade, but with no complaints, or worse yet - no motivation to do things differently, you haven't seen the last of it.

At this opportune moment, I remind you all again...
Your beloved Camaro name is now "vacant", i.e. available for future "pimping". No matter what it gets "stuck" on, lots of people will buy it 'cause it'll be the first "new" Camaro!!! You think GM doesn't know this? So prepare yourselves for what you may receive from the General if you don't express yourselves now.

PEOPLE, STOP EXPECTING GM TO "JUST CHANGE" ON THEIR OWN. CHANGE CAN BE MADE BY THE BUYERS AND GROUPS LIKE HERE IN THIS FORUM! IN SHORT, IT MUST START WITH YOU.

[This message has been edited by ProudPony (edited June 30, 2002).]
Old 07-01-2002, 12:01 AM

Angry

I've written this type of thing in other posts, but now it really has significant meaning in here.

I just read this article on the demise of 10 models this year.

In it is this quote...
"Still, research has shown that Camaro "is the fifth most recognized nameplate in the industry," he said. But asked if the Camaro will return at a later time, all Baldic would say is "You can never say never, but we don't have any current plans to return with the car."

Then later, this quote...
"And while GM's vice chairman, Bob Lutz, chided a member of the media in spring 2002 who bemoaned the loss of the Camaro - Lutz asked the fellow where he was when Camaro sales were falling - the Camaro name may be back, too. Noting "that name carries a lot of weight" among consumers, Schuster said, "I wouldn't be surprised to see a Camaro replacement of some sort down the road."

Now guys/girls, if this don't scream "GM could pimp me out for some quick/easy selling", I don't know what does. We need to be defensive of model names - especially those with a heritage - beginning NOW.

Did you also catch this quote in that article...

"The demise of the car has been long rumored," Baldic, Camaro's brand manager, said. "With the Internet being so popular today, there have been 'save the Camaro' campaigns that have had petitions. We've read every last one of them."

Now if you don't think this forum doesn't get read by decision makers or marketing, watch out for the asteroids going by you. Make posts that will be felt by someone on these issues - don't just fold-in and roll-over, waiting for someone else to do it.

[This message has been edited by ProudPony (edited July 01, 2002).]

Quick Reply: Now this is something we can all complain about.