Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

MotorTrend test of 2011 GT Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlueCruiser
Gotta agree. I'm underwhelmed.

420-sumthin HP, 3600lbs. I was expecting mid 12s trapping in the teens.
It's the first test. The Camaro didn't hit 12.9 right away either.

As far as magazine bench racing, it's always best to wait a bit until they have a chance to do a proper comparison. The magazine writers are only human, and they get caught up in the excitement of a new model like this just as you and I would.

I expect one of the Mustang magazines will put a stock GT into the mid 12s by driving it like they don't own it.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:29 PM

If Chevy would tune out the understeer, the Camaro would be much more loved by the reviewers.

After that, an interior upgrade would be nice..
Old 03-29-2010, 10:38 PM

Price as tested is pretty steep: $39,750
Old 03-29-2010, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
Why thank you, lovely lady! That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me.

I'm not biased although I may be a GM fan and a future owner (again)... But, I admit, it would be hard to say 'NO' to something that's a beaut machine, even if it has a blue oval on it!

I always get excited by new tech GMs and Fords.
Hey, we may butt heads on occassion, but we are all enthusiasts......... right?? Right is right, and I was doomed to agree with you at some point.

Some of my happiest days (short of being a Mom) were spent at Friday night "run what ya brung," and Saturday night at the Pavilions (longest running continuous car show at the McDonalds at the Pavilions in Scottsdale), talking cars/trucks. I met alot of great people who were partial to all makes and models. So, when these "big announcements," and auto show reveals come out, I am like a kid in a candy store. It makes for great reading.

It is hilarious to see how vehemently people will defend their model of choice, even to the point of sounding pretty silly...... on both sides.

Price as tested is pretty steep: $39,750
Thats what happens when you option up a car these days. From reading on many forums, it is not uncommon at all, to have 2010 Camaro's around $40K. People like their toys............ and like their toys to have alot of toys.

Last edited by 94LightningGal; 03-29-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
Hey, we may butt heads on occassion, but we are all enthusiasts......... right?? Right is right, and I was doomed to agree with you at some point.

Some of my happiest days (short of being a Mom) were spent at Friday night "run what ya brung," and Saturday night at the Pavilions (longest running continuous car show at the McDonalds at the Pavilions in Scottsdale), talking cars/trucks. I met alot of great people who were partial to all makes and models. So, when these "big announcements," and auto show reveals come out, I am like a kid in a candy store. It makes for great reading.

It is hilarious to see how vehemently people will defend their model of choice, even to the point of sounding pretty silly...... on both sides.
Absolutely!

I've been questioning my participation on this forum considering Camaro won't be coming downunder... I guess the 'child' in me keeps me coming back... almost involuntarily.

Really, I hope the Ford V8 is great news because it would make GM try harder to win us over.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:19 AM

Just as you covet being able to buy a Camaro downunder, there are many in the US who covet being able to buy Holdens and Ford Falcons.

We always want what we cannot have.

As for the competition, everyone wins. That is why I think the serious arguing is so ridiculous. The funny rib poking on both sides is great, but many get very carried away. There is a good reason why I continue to post here, and have completely stopped posting on GMI.

I will say, though, that those who get really carried away, do usually illicit the biggest laughs from me. It is kind of in that "wow, that was so sad as to be hilarious," kind of thing.

I will be curious to see if GM has anything for 2011, short of the options additions that we already know about. I know they are talking about upping some power on the V6 model, but it is gonna take alot of upping, to outdo the V6 Mustang, at this point. On the V8 front, I would question why even bother. A few tenths one way or another.......... who really cares. The reality is, most people can't come close to the limits of their stock vehicle (my X husband would run low 14's in my low 13's Mustang).......... and it doesn't matter if it is a Camaro, Mustang, Vette, Challenger, or Cobalt.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
I will be curious to see if GM has anything for 2011, short of the options additions that we already know about. I know they are talking about upping some power on the V6 model, but it is gonna take alot of upping, to outdo the V6 Mustang, at this point. On the V8 front, I would question why even bother. A few tenths one way or another.......... who really cares. The reality is, most people can't come close to the limits of their stock vehicle (my X husband would run low 14's in my low 13's Mustang).......... and it doesn't matter if it is a Camaro, Mustang, Vette, Challenger, or Cobalt.
Ever since the LT1 Camaro debuted in 1993, the engine has been a reason to buy a Camaro Z28/SS instead of a Mustang GT. For one year, that applied to the base models too. Starting in 2011, the Camaro holds that edge no longer.

Now it will come down to other decision points, like styling, interior space and finish, handling, features, deal, etc. Even if GM manages to find another 20hp on either engine, I don't think that will make a significant difference (but it won't hurt), because Ford found 100hp for 2011.

The real loser is the Challenger, where the SRT8 is rendered a pointless waste of fuel and the R/T is left to battle the V6 Mustang. It was never really in this fight anyway, being closer to what the Thunderbird or Mark VIII was in the 90s.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Steve0
What on earth?!?! Those are GT500 numbers on street tires! I think those who are expecting mid 12s from a magazine review are asking WAY too much. Like I stated, Magazines are are running mid to high 12's in the GT500, trapping in the teens. The Mustang GT is not going to run with the GT500.

Compared to the Camaro, the Mustang is a few hundred pounds lighter, has similar power and thus should be a few tenths quicker in the quarter.
Wait for Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords to test it. If you're looking for the best possible times out of the new GT, I'd be willing to bet they'll get them (as magazines go).

Most drivers of these cars will never pilot them down a 1/4 mile track...but it makes for good conversation.

Last edited by shadydavy 95 TA; 03-30-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
Ever since the LT1 Camaro debuted in 1993, the engine has been a reason to buy a Camaro Z28/SS instead of a Mustang GT. For one year, that applied to the base models too. Starting in 2011, the Camaro holds that edge no longer.

Now it will come down to other decision points, like styling, interior space and finish, handling, features, deal, etc. Even if GM manages to find another 20hp on either engine, I don't think that will make a significant difference (but it won't hurt), because Ford found 100hp for 2011.

The real loser is the Challenger, where the SRT8 is rendered a pointless waste of fuel and the R/T is left to battle the V6 Mustang. It was never really in this fight anyway, being closer to what the Thunderbird or Mark VIII was in the 90s.
To be completely honest, if Ford decided to give Mustang the Ecoboost V6, it would likely destroy the V8s, so sometimes looking at just the V8 performance figures is perhaps a little shortsighted.

We have a Falcon 4.0L turbo in Oz that would simply hose the LS3 HSVs in a straight line. I consider the Ecoboost at least as good as the 4.0L T (which will be phased out in a few years in favor of the Ecoboost V6).

Having said that, a lot of people (me included) just don't want forced induction... and that's why we love our V8s because ultimate performance or even superior fuel economy is immaterial. Nothing but a strong normally aspirated V8 will do.

And if we had the Challenger in Oz, I'd be buying one purely for its V8 muscle car values, even if it's slightly on the heavy and thirsty side.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:43 AM

What on earth?!?! Those are GT500 numbers on street tires! I think those who are expecting mid 12s from a magazine review are asking WAY too much. Like I stated, Magazines are are running mid to high 12's in the GT500, trapping in the teens. The Mustang GT is not going to run with the GT500.

Compared to the Camaro, the Mustang is a few hundred pounds lighter, has similar power and thus should be a few tenths quicker in the quarter.
The problem is we have a thread full of people who are upset the Mustang beat the Camaro so now we will constantly hear every excuse as to why it should really be faster than the times they are putting down even though it beats the Camaro in every category. I find it funny that people can't accept that Ford out did Chevy so now the story is why didn't it beat it more than it did and then it will soon go off the end to the well i can add xxx to my Camaro and still beat it. The times posted for the Mustang are the very first tests put up and it runs a 12.8 the times everyone is using for the Camaro is the very best I have ever heard of 12.9 when the avg times I have seen are 13 flat and above, it's nice to cherry pick the absolute best but wait til the Mustang gets a few miles and the engine gets broken in and this thing gets a proper track test 12.6's maybe?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
It's the first test. The Camaro didn't hit 12.9 right away either.

As far as magazine bench racing, it's always best to wait a bit until they have a chance to do a proper comparison. The magazine writers are only human, and they get caught up in the excitement of a new model like this just as you and I would.

I expect one of the Mustang magazines will put a stock GT into the mid 12s by driving it like they don't own it.
Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
The problem is we have a thread full of people who are upset the Mustang beat the Camaro so now we will constantly hear every excuse as to why it should really be faster than the times they are putting down even though it beats the Camaro in every category. I find it funny that people can't accept that Ford out did Chevy so now the story is why didn't it beat it more than it did and then it will soon go off the end to the well i can add xxx to my Camaro and still beat it. The times posted for the Mustang are the very first tests put up and it runs a 12.8 the times everyone is using for the Camaro is the very best I have ever heard of 12.9 when the avg times I have seen are 13 flat and above, it's nice to cherry pick the absolute best but wait til the Mustang gets a few miles and the engine gets broken in and this thing gets a proper track test 12.6's maybe?

FYI, Motortrend ripped off a 13.0@111 in the one the very first roadtests of the 2010 SS exactly 1 year ago.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._ss_model.html

That type of performance out of a fatboy car like the SS can only point to the 2011 GT with its hyped 412hp (now 420+ according to dynos) and 260lb weight advantage, SRA, perfectly geared 6spd, etc ,etc... easily EASILY being in the mid 12s at 115. But no, it's a high 12 car around 110.8.

UNDERWHELMING. And OVERHYPED.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlueCruiser
FYI, Motortrend ripped off a 13.0@111 in the one the very first roadtests of the 2010 SS exactly 1 year ago.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._ss_model.html

That type of performance out of a fatboy car like the SS can only point to the 2011 GT with its hyped 412hp (now 420+ according to dynos) and 260lb weight advantage, SRA, perfectly geared 6spd, etc ,etc... easily EASILY being in the mid 12s at 115. But no, it's a high 12 car around 110.8.

UNDERWHELMING. And OVERHYPED.
This is just getting ludicrous. Are you high? Forget to take your medication? Or really just that upset that the even more hyped camaro and its vaunted LS3 can't beat this mustang in a magazine test so you have to resort to the ridiculous WELL IT DIDN'T BEAT IT BAD ENOUGH bull****.

I can't wait till more head to heads come out. Reading this kind of dejected fanboyism drivel is entertainment at it's finest. God forbid mustang outsell camaro this year. You'll probably all commit mass suicide.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
This is just getting ludicrous. Are you high? Forget to take your medication? Or really just that upset that the even more hyped camaro and its vaunted LS3 can't beat this mustang in a magazine test so you have to resort to the ridiculous WELL IT DIDN'T BEAT IT BAD ENOUGH bull****.

I can't wait till more head to heads come out. Reading this kind of dejected fanboyism drivel is entertainment at it's finest. God forbid mustang outsell camaro this year. You'll probably all commit mass suicide.
Actually, BBC is a Ford fan if I recall correctly.

I think it's ridiculous to point at initial magazine tests to make snap decisions about the 2011's performance. All the numbers would seem to indicate it's a mid-12 second car in "good" hands. The trap speed is a bit concerning as most dopes can still pull decent MPH. Still, I think you're going to see more reports of mid-12s as we go along....
Old 03-30-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by notgetleft

Agreed, this sore looser routine is getting ridiculous, i guess us Camaro guys have had the lead for so long a few of us don't know what to do and start sounding like Honda fanboys with the list of excuses pouring outof their mouths. I guess worlds are colliding in a lot of people's minds! The Mustang is faster, brakes better, handles better, gets better gas mileage, etc... just live with it. I'm just happy we live in times where there are 3 muscle cars from American manufacturers that are all worth owning. We just need to have the excuses stop it's getting pathetic and the very thing we chided Mustang owners for all those years. I could see it now if the LS3 made more power per cubic inch they would probably be quoting that right now!
Old 03-30-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Actually, BBC is a Ford fan if I recall correctly.
Then that's even weirder. Guess he forgot his meds this morning. But i'll be damned if he didn't sound exactly like one of the dejected fanboys in this and the other threads.

As for his hopes, 115mph seems a bit of a stretch. I could see 112, maybe a little better if you're powershifting the hell out of it and / or some really good air.

As for the ETs, it ain't easy cutting good 60's with lots of power on street tires. Especially at normal tire pressure and likely with no burnout as most major mags would run.

Quick Reply: MotorTrend test of 2011 GT Mustang