Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

MotorTrend test of 2011 GT Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
The V6 just destroys the V6 Camaro, however.

But IMO...not in the looks department!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by BlkLT1Z28
Funny how all of the new ones showing up at the strips were running HIGH 13's low 14's.
They could get down into the 13's correctly driven, I can't rember any stock cars running faster than 13.5xx though.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
0-60 in 4.3 is brutally fast in anyone's handbook and 12.8 is still faster than 12.9 isn't it?
Ohhhh... gotta get this in before somebody else does

I own a blah bitty blah and I dont consider 4.3 0-60 or 12.8 in the 1/4 fast at all. I really just consider that barely adequate for day to day transportation.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:47 AM

Now I wanna see how much its going to cost for a cam swap. Any takers?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:02 AM

Pretty pricey I'm sure and wont really yield good results for the money on the average street car. Most 5.0 guys will be rolling past that page straight to the page with new compy tunes.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by bossco
Pretty pricey I'm sure and wont really yield good results for the money on the average street car. Most 5.0 guys will be rolling past that page straight to the page with new compy tunes.
Yeah it's gonna be a pricey situation with probably not a lot to show for it. That's the one problem I see for the new 5.0, it looks like there isn't much more you can do to it aftermarket. Slap some heads and a cam on the Camaro and it's gonna put down some serious gains, same thing with a supercharger. Mustang doesn't look like either swap is an option as far as what I have read about the 5.0 so far. 12.8 is pretty fast for me considering I'll never probably hit over 110 in it.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:23 AM

This is just one test at an airport, I'm sure traction was not the best and the Mustang does have pretty narrow tires. Going by the math the GT should out run a Camaro by .3 in the 1/4 mile, but I dont think Ford was going for just a drag car. I am going to guess the GT will do very well on a track with turns as well. I am sure team Camaro will get the suspension sorted out and we all know they can add another 30hp to overcome the Mustangs lighter weight, but its not all about that anymore, they also have to keep or increase fuel economy to really compete.

I agree with others, I dont see as much potential with the 5.0 as with the LS3 although I have heard rumors that the BOSS next year will put down 465hp.

The money the Ford guys save not upgrading their IRS to handle extra power they can use for pistons and rods for forced induction applications.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by super83Z
Thank you for bringing that one up, so far I have seen on Mustang sites guys claiming that this 5.0 is making 465 hp and that Chevy will be shaking in its boots. So just a quick recap:

-65 more hp
-260 less lbs.
-Fords reinvention of the ICE

and it could only muster 2 tenths over the lower horsepower L99? I would love to give Ford credit but the Mustang nuthugging I have been reading for the last two weeks has worn on me. They did a great job but I thought the Camaro was going to be sucking dust? Maybe I had too high a hopes?
The Mustang in that test I mentioned was an automatic just like the Camaro, apples to apples. Not Ford's problem that the Chevy weighs more and the smaller motor put out about the same Hp as the bigger cube Chevy engine. Any more excuses we can add to the debate? The only nutthugging I've seen so far is from a few on here that can't belive the Ford is faster so they keep making up reasons as to why it isn't a big deal but if the roles were reversed it would be a different story.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sixer-Bird
Impressive numbers for the 5.0, but the V6 numbers floor me. Well played, Ford

And honestly, Evan Smith times are good for two purposes and two purposes only:

1. Selling magazines
2. bench racing on the internet
You forgot "Helping Ford engineers with the new 5.0" because that is what he did. He made 36 runs a few months back with Ford engineers present.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by 81Z28355
This is just one test at an airport, I'm sure traction was not the best and the Mustang does have pretty narrow tires. Going by the math the GT should out run a Camaro by .3 in the 1/4 mile, but I dont think Ford was going for just a drag car. I am going to guess the GT will do very well on a track with turns as well. I am sure team Camaro will get the suspension sorted out and we all know they can add another 30hp to overcome the Mustangs lighter weight, but its not all about that anymore, they also have to keep or increase fuel economy to really compete.

I agree with others, I dont see as much potential with the 5.0 as with the LS3 although I have heard rumors that the BOSS next year will put down 465hp.

The money the Ford guys save not upgrading their IRS to handle extra power they can use for pistons and rods for forced induction applications.
Yeah I think ford set the benchmark at the BMW M3 instead of the Camaro, they both weight the same and have similar power and performance times.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:45 PM

anyone catch the price as tested? 39k wow. I know the ss was pretty expensive but what was its price as tested? and it always amazes me how other manufactures will have options like gears ect. only a $400 option? come on. gives us somethin. kudos to ford
Old 03-29-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by 81Z28355

How much is left? Really, when is enough enough? There is more performance there then 98% of people would know what to do with. I could own the car and never do a performance mod.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by scott9050
You forgot "Helping Ford engineers with the new 5.0" because that is what he did. He made 36 runs a few months back with Ford engineers present.
I'm sure the engineers would have never been able to do it without him.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by SRFCTY
But IMO...not in the looks department!
The V6 Mustang looks like total crap next to the Camaro RS. I'd want the GT front bumper cover and grill.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sixer-Bird
I'm sure the engineers would have never been able to do it without him.
They invited him.

Quick Reply: MotorTrend test of 2011 GT Mustang