Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Motor Trend COTY is....

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by muckz
I don't defend bias against the GTR. I pointed out yours in favour of it. I feel I give credit where it's due and my bias is minimal.
When people show me facts about the GT-R then I'll join the chorus of those complaining; until then, yes; I'll defend it.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
We consistently prefer domestic (and, in particular, GM) cars over imports.
Which is not what I was talking about as you well know.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by muckz
What about the $1000 trip to the dealer if you "race" your GTR?
That's an internet myth.

For one, the "after racing" inspection is recommended; not required (although anyone who takes his car to a track day and/or races it without doing major preventative maintenance/inspection is not very bright in my opinion).

Second, if the inspection is done, the cost is likely to be much closer to $250-$300; not $1K.

As for tires, they should have more even wear because of all-wheel-drive, I wouldn't expect the tires to be roasted more than that of another powerful sports car.
I wasn't referring to wear...obviously tires will wear based on how the owner drives his/her car...what I was referring to is that you should always replace all four on the GT-R when one needs to be replaced.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:44 PM

redzed
Old 12-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Robert_Nashville
Which is not what I was talking about as you well know.
You were talking about how nobody complained when the CTS won COTY.

Spin it any way you want, but the truth is that our collective bias for domestic cars is the #1 reason for that.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:30 PM

That's an internet myth.

For one, the "after racing" inspection is recommended; not required
(This was before the whole traction control/launch control fiasco came up)

I talked to my local dealer in regards to those issues some time ago and I was told by their service manager (who I had look it up to be sure) that to avoid warranty disputes on the driveline, any time the black box detects it has been raced the vehicle "should be brought to the dealer or you risk voiding your warranty". That was the official response.

He did discover the issue of abusing the electronics (overuse of launch control or disable of VDC) and voiding the warranty though. Again, he reccomended you brought it in for the "after racing" inspection after using these features. Voiding the warranty based on their use was up to the service manager's opinion - so again he said he would reccomend the full inspection.

Tell me how that inspection sounds.

It sounds like it is required service or they'll use it against you.

I then asked them what that service would include...

Second, if the inspection is done, the cost is likely to be much closer to $250-$300; not $1K.
Myth? You pulled that number straight out of your behind. I got him to ballpark the different items and only wanted the required items on the inspection according to what his book tells him to do. That is what I got.

Transmission flush - $120 (labor included)
Differential flush - $70 (labor included)
Oil change - $80 (labor included)
Brake fluid flush - $110 (labor included)
Steering flush - $70 (labor included)
Remove all 4 wheels, check the balance, rebalance as necessary. Check all pads and rotors, replace as necessary. Then check the alignment. He couldnt price me on the pads/rotors at the time, but the rest of the time and labor was $100 for that chunk.
A full diagnostic was $110 - (which was same charge as a modern diagnostic on an OBD II vehicle)
Suspension and emissions hardware check - $70 (labor included)

Not including anything else thats about $670. Which would come to $720 after tax. Look at the prices of the individual service items. None of them are out of line from a dealership - and knowing that (1) one of the top mechanics would be allocated for the better part of a day and (2) all of the fluids used on the car are synthetic - the prices are right in line.

And for 2010 the GTR wont have launch control anymore, which kills the previously claimed 0-60 time. And with an MSRP starting at $77k it is now more expensive than a Z06.

So the 3.2 second 0-60 is changed to 3.9 seconds. Which means it is slower than its main competition as well. Still is very fast though... but it is just one more instance where the car couldnt live up to the hype.

COTY? Should have gone to the Genesis sedan. That is an impressive vehicle that *exceeds* the hype.

Besides Robert - what are you getting all worked up for?
The 370Z (lighter, plenty of power, much cheaper, better looking etc) is more of a driver's car anyway and you're already getting one

Seriously, after all this I'd much rather own a 370z than a GTR.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:45 PM

Last time I checked this was still CZ28.com......right?
Old 12-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick
(This was before the whole traction control/launch control fiasco came up)

I talked to my local dealer in regards to those issues some time ago and I was told by their service manager (who I had look it up to be sure) that to avoid warranty disputes on the driveline, any time the black box detects it has been raced the vehicle "should be brought to the dealer or you risk voiding your warranty". That was the official response.

He did discover the issue of abusing the electronics (overuse of launch control or disable of VDC) and voiding the warranty though. Again, he reccomended you brought it in for the "after racing" inspection after using these features. Voiding the warranty based on their use was up to the service manager's opinion - so again he said he would reccomend the full inspection.

Tell me how that inspection sounds.

It sounds like it is required service or they'll use it against you.

I then asked them what that service would include...

Myth? You pulled that number straight out of your behind. I got him to ballpark the different items and only wanted the required items on the inspection according to what his book tells him to do. That is what I got.

Transmission flush - $120 (labor included)
Differential flush - $70 (labor included)
Oil change - $80 (labor included)
Brake fluid flush - $110 (labor included)
Steering flush - $70 (labor included)
Remove all 4 wheels, check the balance, rebalance as necessary. Check all pads and rotors, replace as necessary. Then check the alignment. He couldnt price me on the pads/rotors at the time, but the rest of the time and labor was $100 for that chunk.
A full diagnostic was $110 - (which was same charge as a modern diagnostic on an OBD II vehicle)
Suspension and emissions hardware check - $70 (labor included)

Not including anything else thats about $670. Which would come to $720 after tax. Look at the prices of the individual service items. None of them are out of line from a dealership - and knowing that (1) one of the top mechanics would be allocated for the better part of a day and (2) all of the fluids used on the car are synthetic - the prices are right in line.

And for 2010 the GTR wont have launch control anymore, which kills the previously claimed 0-60 time. And with an MSRP starting at $77k it is now more expensive than a Z06.

So the 3.2 second 0-60 is changed to 3.9 seconds. Which means it is slower than its main competition as well. Still is very fast though... but it is just one more instance where the car couldnt live up to the hype.

COTY? Should have gone to the Genesis sedan. That is an impressive vehicle that *exceeds* the hype.

Besides Robert - what are you getting all worked up for?
The 370Z (lighter, plenty of power, much cheaper, better looking etc) is more of a driver's car anyway and you're already getting one

Seriously, after all this I'd much rather own a 370z than a GTR.
My numbers come from several friends who own GT-Rs and take them to the track and do the maintenance; you can believe them or not.

As far as the warranty goes; while service managers like to think they control what is or isn't covered under warranty; I've gone toe to toe with several "service mangers" in my years (including several "GM" dealers) who thought their decision was the final word and prevailed over them...it's the manufacturer who pays for warranty work and it's the manufacturer who ultimately decides - Nissan has said on more than one occasion that taking your GT-R to track days does not void the warranty so what an individual dealer service manager says is not at all the final word.

Last edited by Robert_Nashville; 12-02-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:34 PM

Well fortunately for 2010 Nissan has stepped up and fixed the transmission issue in the GTR... by deleted launch control altogether.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Well fortunately for 2010 Nissan has stepped up and fixed the transmission issue in the GTR... by deleted launch control altogether.
Actually, the reports about launch control being dropped from the 2010 GT-R is just speculation at this point.

It wouldn't surprise me if it is dropped but I wouldn't bet the farm one way or the other just yet.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:37 PM

Robert, FWIW, that quote in your signature is actually from Gerald Ford's Presidential address to a joint session of Congress on August 12, 1974.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Robert, FWIW, that quote in your signature is actually from Gerald Ford's Presidential address to a joint session of Congress on August 12, 1974.
President Ford did say it and that's well known, many attribute the origin to Thomas Jefferson but it's disputed as to whether he actually said it o not.

As I understand it; the entire quote is...

"A Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases."

Whoever said it, I believe it - maybe I just need to take off the reference of "who" said it.

Last edited by Robert_Nashville; 12-02-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:48 PM

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Gerald_Ford
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.
Presidential address to a joint session of Congress (12 August 1974)
Ford has also been quoted as having made a similar statement many years earlier, as a representative to the US Congress: "If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have."
"If Elected, I Promise…" : Stories and Gems of Wisdom by and About Politicians (1960) p. 193
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Thomas_Jefferson
Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases.
Commonly quoted on many websites, this quotation is actually from Gerald Ford's August 12th, 1974 address to Congress.
Ford, not Jefferson.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:24 PM

Interesting. It's a very good quote either way.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 PM

I would like someone to explain to me why the Genesis is a better choice then the G8.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend COTY is....