Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

How Ford's dealing... without government help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
Whoa there. I'm not normally one to toot the horn for Ford; but I think most objective consumers can see that Ford has more competitive offerings than just the F's and Mustang. In the span of 30 seconds, four come to mind - the new MKS, the Focus, the Flex and the Escape Hybrid. Ford's got it's share of Big Three troubles... but has a pretty good product mix at hand and a lot more on the way.
Yes. So are they making money on each and every one? Which was my point to LG94.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:57 AM

Yes on the Focus and the Escape Hybrid. Probably on the MKS and Flex, but we do not know the numbers yet. Mustang and F-series, of course.

However, Mulally does not believe in making products to make products. He also does not believe that Ford is a charitable organization. Thus, his mantra is that each product has to stand on its own.

Mulally is also saying that Ford is profitable at annual auto sales of 13-14million vehicles.

Considering that they have had a few profitable quarters, I see no reason to doubt him.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:17 AM

Well if the new MKS, Fusion and Milan are any guide, Ford are in big trouble.

The Fiesta and Focus are nothing special but possibly an improvement on Ford's current efforts.

Of course, Ford's small cars are not even in the same league when it comes to image and reputation as the Corolla and Civic.

Like I said, Ford have serious issues.

BTW, remind me again how much Mullaly is earning from Ford!

Last edited by SSbaby; 11-19-2008 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
There's a brand new Fusion and Milan being officially unveiled today at the LAIAS. They look pretty good. Mileage and power are up across the board.

The MKS -- I'll agree with you on that one. It's weak for the market it's targeted at. But the Fusion and Milan seem like they deserve to do well.

It'll be interesting to see what the new 5.0 32V engine is like in the 2011 Mustang. Assuming it's not all been just a rumor.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
There's a brand new Fusion and Milan being officially unveiled today at the LAIAS. They look pretty good. Mileage and power are up across the board.

The MKS -- I'll agree with you on that one. It's weak for the market it's targeted at. But the Fusion and Milan seem like they deserve to do well.

It'll be interesting to see what the new 5.0 32V engine is like in the 2011 Mustang. Assuming it's not all been just a rumor.
Actually, it's the 2010 models that I speak of.

Each to their own but to my eyes those cars disappoint.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:33 AM

Just caught some clips of the Detroit CEOs testifying before congress, and caught an interesting difference in how GM and Ford are positioning this.

Wagoner: We have made substantial changes, but do not have to change our business model

Mulally: We do have to change our business model, that is why were are doing X, Y, Z.

At the very least, Ford seems more contrite while up on Capital Hill with hat in hand.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby

The Fiesta and Focus are nothing special but possibly an improvement on Ford's current efforts.

Of course, Ford's small cars are not even in the same league when it comes to image and reputation as the Corolla and Civic.

Like I said, Ford have serious issues.

BTW, remind me again how much Mullaly is earning from Ford!
Actually, considering the economy, the MKS is doing very well.

It gets the V6 Ecoboost engine in June of next year.

However, we get it.............. you hate everything that Ford makes. Gosh, what a revelation. Also, while Ford may have some issues, they have fixed most of them. You, however, obviously have serious issues with Ford.

PS, you have not seen any of the new cars. You have not driven, or touched any. To bash them, and call them failures based on a few pictures, is assinine.

PSS, the Focus has the highest sales increase % of any C-class car, thus far this year.

Finally, I am done with you. You obviously have some kind of sour grapes complex, when it comes to Ford. Sad, really. I pull for all of the Domestics........... and if GM goes down, it will be one of the saddest days in my life.