Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Holden Commodore = Pontiac G8 CONFIRMED

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by flowmotion
I agree!

Also, on another board, folks were speculating that their would be a V6 base model, which is how you get 50K per year at under $30K.
That is awesome.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by 2K1SunsetSS
That is awesome.
For sure!

"BRING IT", and it will sell .
Old 01-10-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by R377
That's what I don't get. When the GTO program was conceived the Australian dollar was somewhere between 50 and 60 cents. Now it's around 80 cents.

If the GTO had to sell in the low $30,000s to have a chance at profitibility, how can the Commodore, 4 years later, with a 40% stronger dollar, and a likely more expense car to build, hope to sell for less? I suppose a V6 model would help a little, although the HFV6 is not any cheaper to build than an LSx, and the article specifically mentioned the Commodore SS.
We'll see. GM did originally want the GTO to sell for mid 20's, and at that price, I think ALL of it's sins would have been forgiven.

Still, the question is, can they bring a V8 Commodore here for mid 20's? Tough one. Certainly not the SS-V, but maybe the lower content, cloth seat SS.

We'll also see if Pontiac dealers screw the pooch on this one - again.

Also, I'm not sure how much I like the G8 name, but I'm thinking it's time to give the Grand Prix name a little break, before every last bit of equity has been squeezed out of it. What started out as Pontiac's premiere, high style, luxury/performance coupe, has de-evolved into Pontiac's generic rental sedan.

Last edited by Z284ever; 01-10-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:28 AM

I have a feeling there's not going not be a stripped down version.. I bet a leather V6 with no satnav is going to be the lowest cost version.. Obviously, I could be wrong.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
50,000 per year is alot of capacity for Holden to devote to Pontiac. Can Holden sustain that amount?
Based on what's going on right now, I'd say Holden is probally capable of even more than that. The factory went through a major expansion even after the added 18,000 GTOs that they were producing on existing lines.

But even more important is that Holden stands to make a nice amount of money when Pontiac gets the sedan.

Like certain cars here, Holden sold a huge portion of their cars at cut-rate levels to fleet buyers. Right now, VE's overall sales numbers are down sharply because Holden isn't cutting deals for volume purchases anymore (though retail sales are relatively flat. If Holden sells a massive number of sedans via Pontiac at retail prices, they're certain to make far more money while bringing their factory back up to full production (they're operating at something like 65-70% last I heard) and 3 shifts (currently working just 2 with a large number of the workers hired for GTO and high VY & VZ demand layed off).
Old 01-10-2007, 01:44 PM

If the GTO had to sell in the low $30,000s to have a chance at profitibility, how can the Commodore, 4 years later, with a 40% stronger dollar, and a likely more expense car to build, hope to sell for less? I suppose a V6 model would help a little, although the HFV6 is not any cheaper to build than an LSx, and the article specifically mentioned the Commodore SS.
Here's a thought:

Right now GM sells something like 75,000 no-profit plastic-fantastic Grand Prixs to fleets.

Why not sell 50,000 no-profit kick-*** G8s to consumers instead?

The financial impact would be the same, but the latter would enhance Pontiac's reputation rather than diminishing it.

(And thanks for the thanks on the 'shop. Took me all of 5 minutes )
Old 01-10-2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
That's what I keep telling people who care to listen to my logical reason... why do a pair of Levi denim jeans cost $US30 and we Aussies must fork out $AU130?

We pay more for our cars in Australia, not because of economies of scale IMO, but because our perception of value is lower than that of the US consumer... in other words we are prepared to pay more for the same item, and hence, vendors are prepared to charge more.

When is colonial Australia going to break itself free from Mother England?!?!?
What is the exchange rate? And +1 for please dont screw up the style! The Commodore looks good as is. I like it better than the CTS.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
Thats the first head on pic Ive seen of this car . Now I get why Guy said u have to see this car in person , the fender bulges are huge . I cant wait to see this awesome car in the US .
Wait till you see it on the streets (it isn't the same seeing it indoors at an auto show). You can't miss the thing.

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
I preffer this:

That's what I don't get. When the GTO program was conceived the Australian dollar was somewhere between 50 and 60 cents. Now it's around 80 cents.

Thing is GTO didn't have to sell in the low 30s to be profitable.

The car was designed to be profitable selling just 5,000 cars over a 3 year period.

The amount invested to make the Monaro into a US GTO was roughly the same minute $68 million that it cost to make the Monaro out of the Commodore, meaning it also would need to sell 5,000 per year to be worth while.

Monaro ran 5 years at 5,000 cars per year, GTO ran 3 years at about 14,500 cars average.

Instead of selling a total of 30,000 Monaro/GTOs to make the whole thing profitable, over 68,500 were sold.

Assembly line costs were neglible, and for all intents and purposes, content costs came right out of Commodore. Essentially, the only real costs over a Commodore (+/- $22-30K) was the cost of the actual development, which was paid for more than twice over.

The VE was set up to be profitable in just the Australian market (the WM on the other hand wouldn't exist without the export market). Unlike the Commodore/Monaro/GTO, it was made from the 1st bolt to pass US regs, so no additional cash outside the cost of testing is needed to certify.

In short, you're spending considerably less to create a car than before (which was minimal) based on a car that supposedly costs less to build, than the increase of the Aussie dollar, and still stand a chance to make a bigger profit.

It most certainly won't cost in the mid 20K the article is hinting at, but it should be on par with a Grand Prix GTP's $28-31K pricetag.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
It most certainly won't cost in the mid 20K the article is hinting at, but it should be on par with a Grand Prix GTP's $28-31K pricetag.
Really? With the LS2 (or LS3)? A four-door, five-passenger sedan with good handling and brakes, IRS, available manual transmission, 400 hp, and a quality interior for $31k?

Wow. If that's the way it shakes out, the Charger is going to look really overpriced.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Hmmm, sounds like exactly the same problem we have here in Canada too??!
Australia and Canada have quite a bit in common, once you allow for the superficial differences.

Tundra/desert take up roughly the same percentage of space. In Canada, most people live near the southern border. In Australia, most people live near the coast.

There's no equivalent to Quebec in Australia, however.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by teal98
There's no equivalent to Quebec in Australia, however.
They really are a breed of their own!!
Old 01-12-2007, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by georgejetson
Really? With the LS2 (or LS3)? A four-door, five-passenger sedan with good handling and brakes, IRS, available manual transmission, 400 hp, and a quality interior for $31k?

Wow. If that's the way it shakes out, the Charger is going to look really overpriced.
LS2 6 speed Berlina (my favorite) should run upper 20s. I can see adding a rear spoiler and dress ups as a appearence model and sell it at the same price as a GTO.

I doubt there will be a V6 version available here because I imagine GM would keep options to a minimum again to save costs. This is just personal opinion, not definitive. If a V6 did make it here, it's going to be the cammer 3.6 since it's going to be in similar cars here in a few years. Also, if it did make it here, I can see it priced in the mid 20s. But not the V8s.

Although I'm probally going to be outnumbered, I'm not a big fan of the SS, and even less a fan of the HSV version. the body is already on the edge of being overstyled (trust me, pictures don't convey that) and adding wings and spoilers make it look ricey... especially in that retina melting red. But it will be a great competitor to the Charger SRT.

The Berlina, on the other hand, in black or dark blue, easily looks like a car James bond would use as a daily driver. It has BMW elegence, but is styled alot better. It looks striking with it's side windows fully framed in chrome trim, sculptured body, wedge shape, and front overhang that's almost nonexistant.