Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Holden Commodore = Pontiac G8 CONFIRMED

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 09:59 AM

it get's Lutz's approval. But wonder how Pontiac is going to neuter it's styling.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:59 AM

General Motors let the cat out of the bag early at the Detroit motor show when it announced that Holden's VE Commodore SS would be exported to America, reports JOSHUA DOWLING.

Australia's biggest-selling car, the Holden Commodore, will be exported to the United States, it was unofficially confirmed at the Detroit motor show last night.

The announcement was not due to be made until next month's Chicago motor show. But the worldwide head of product development for General Motors, Bob Lutz, gave away more than he was supposed to during a press conference.

Just minutes after Holden officials refused to answer questions about the Commodore's export program, Mr Lutz revealed details about the deal.

The Commodore SS, a V8-powered sports sedan, will be sold as a Pontiac from late this year or early next year.

Holden expects to export 30,000 Commodores annually, about half what it sells locally.

"We are seriously planning to import a lot of Commodore SS sedans as Pontiac G8s," Mr Lutz said, adding that Holden could export up to 50,000 Commodores a year if the model was priced correctly.

Mr Lutz said the export of the Holden Monaro as a Pontiac GTO from 2003 to 2006 (during which 40,000 of the V8 coupes were sold) brought Holden's expertise to the attention of its parent company, General Motors in North America.

"We are yet to officially announce it," Mr Lutz said of the Commodore export deal, once he realised he had made a faux pas. He eventually admitted that selling the V8 version of the Commodore in the US was a logical thing to do as it filled a void in Pontiac's line-up.

"While (the Monaro's) export program may not have fulfilled all of our hopes and dreams in terms of profitability and volume, it did break the ice on global programs."

The export deal comes at a crucial time for the Commodore. It has been Australia's biggest-selling car for 11 years but sales are at a 16-year low as imports flood Australia.

Holden already exports to the Middle East five times as many Statesmans as it sells locally and exports are increasingly being viewed as a key to the Commodore's survival.

Sales of large, locally made sedans were at a 16-year low in 2006 as buyers embraced small cars.

Last year, sales of the Ford Falcon were their lowest since the late 1960s. Ford is yet to announce an export deal but an updated Falcon due in March 2008 will have the capability to be built in left-hand drive.

When Holden developed the new Commodore, released last August, it did so with American regulations in mind. This has made the transformation from a Commodore to a Pontiac relatively simple.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by R377
(and an aftermarket mesh grille might be what the doctor ordered to fix its ungainly mug).

I hope you don't mean the Commadore... I mean seriously c'mon look at this beauty

Old 01-09-2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Gripenfelter

Reading that just reminds me how much I'd like the falcon to come over here too
Old 01-09-2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dick
I hope you don't mean the Commadore... I mean seriously c'mon look at this beauty

He definitely was talking about the new CTS
Old 01-09-2007, 10:36 AM

I really hope they don't touch anything when they bring it over here...The car looks great as is, inside and out
Old 01-09-2007, 10:43 AM

I hope that you can get a spoiler delete. Pontiac can take the excess spoilers and bolt them to the roofs of all the G6 GXP's they are going to sell. Double the spoilage!

Anyway, I'm serious about the spoiler delete.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:44 AM

They're planning on selling 30,000 - 50,000 (pretty good spread) V8 G8's a year?

Is there a way to find out how many V8 Chargers Dodge is selling a year?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dick
Originally Posted by eagleknight97
Thanks, eagle, yes I was. My thoughts have been all over the map lately

I agree with Ken S, the car is just about perfect the way it is, please don't mess it up. You can bet on a Pontiac twin-kidney grille, but with any luck it'll be easy to swap out with a Holden if they make it too tacky.

The Commodore has been my wallpaper for the last few months, something to inspire me every day I come into work
Old 01-09-2007, 12:27 PM

Isn't this 50K per year higher than the retail GP sales?
Old 01-09-2007, 01:02 PM

I hope they don't 'F' up the styling on it. If it looks like the Commodore, with a mild Pontiac grille, I'm in. If it looks like the new G6 grille, I'm out, cause that is straight up uckin fugly.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ken S
Oh please oh please oh please do not ruin the looks of this car! Just leave it how it is.. Don't force the Pontiac nose on it. Don't make the hood scoops manditory. Don't put those nasty thin multispoke rims on it.. Just take what they have and make it left hand drive, okay?
I agree!

Also, on another board, folks were speculating that their would be a V6 base model, which is how you get 50K per year at under $30K.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:34 PM

Now that looks nice!

So much better then the ugly faces Pontiac has had for about ever...
Old 01-09-2007, 03:24 PM

My dad thinks it looks like a Mazda. While I can see how he can see it that way, I disagree.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by eagleknight97
Thats the first head on pic Ive seen of this car . Now I get why Guy said u have to see this car in person , the fender bulges are huge . I cant wait to see this awesome car in the US .

Quick Reply: Holden Commodore = Pontiac G8 CONFIRMED