Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Holden Commodore = Pontiac G8 CONFIRMED

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 04:54 PM

If I can get the preformance package with a healthy smooth V6 and a manual under $30k, with the nice multicolor interior, I will seriously consider that too..

Especialy _IF_, its got a good feel in the brakes, steering, shifter, suspension, transition movements, etc.

If GM can nail that formula down at a good price with good looks, I don't see why this car wouldn't sell out all at MSRP.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by flowmotion
I agree!
Only way they could pull of a poncho nose is if they did the nostrils like they have on the 73 T/A with a nice arrow in the middle..
Old 01-09-2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
Only way they could pull of a poncho nose is if they did the nostrils like they have on the 73 T/A with a nice arrow in the middle..
Actually, they haven't always insisted on a "poncho nose":

There's also this, which still looks very Pontiac, but is not so worn out:

I really think this car demands some real visual identity from the G6/Grand Am/Grand Prix. The GTO got the "poncho nose" and look what happened.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by flowmotion
Actually, they haven't always insisted on a "poncho nose":

There's also this, which still looks very Pontiac, but is not so worn out:

I really think this car demands some real visual identity from the G6/Grand Am/Grand Prix. The GTO got the "poncho nose" and look what happened.
I preffer this:

Old 01-09-2007, 05:52 PM

....please just put the Pontiac arrowhead in the stock SS-V Holden bumper cover and just call it a day . Its looks sooooooooo good jus how it is . The Holden is a continent away , so jus completely 100% badge engineer this bioooootch
Old 01-09-2007, 09:09 PM

Agreed.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:11 PM

Yea, I prefer the stock Holden fascia with the Pontiac emblem (lets try to get one that doesn't turn yellow in 6 months this time).

If they need a split grill I woould like to see hard lines, like the center section of the '65 line.

Useless info- the split grill came about in '59 (stemming from the silver streaks that went on the hood; single up to '54, dual in 55 and 56; none in 57and 58 thanks to Bunkie Knudsen trying to shed the grandpa image). The '59 Pontiac was very well received but the '60 pontiac did not have a split grill (and looked awesome) because it was too late to change it. from '61 on everything had a split grill of some sort- except for the Fiero which had a single opening for some reason. LT-1 T/A's didn't really have a grill but definitley had a line down the center.

I SAID it was useless information....
Old 01-09-2007, 11:00 PM

I posted this on another board,
Hopefully they dont screw it up with the Pontiac front end.
to which my friend that works at GM responded:
I didnt think it looked bad.
Cant wait to see it.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Lutz
While the GTO program might not have fulfilled all our hopes and dreams in terms of profitability, it did break the ice on global programs.
With the GTO we made a bit of a mistake.
The deterioration in profitability through the appreciation of the Australian dollar, we passed on to the customer.
It gets to be an oxygen-deprived environment. This time we're going to try very hard to keep the vehicle in the mid-$20,000s.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dick
Reading that just reminds me how much I'd like the falcon to come over here too
I'm a big fan of the Falcon and the Turbo I6. But the new twin turbo V6 in the Lincoln concept could make me forget about the Falcon.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by 1965GP
Useless info- the split grill came about in '59
Well, I think the idea behind the classic Pontiac snout was to have an "arrowhead" point on it. The grille details were secondary and often varied.

It was only in the mid 80s that they switched over to the kidneys grille (with no point) and even that wasn't totally universal until the late 90s. (Early 90s Grand Prix, mid-90s Bonnevile had normal grilles.)
Old 01-10-2007, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
....please just put the Pontiac arrowhead in the stock SS-V Holden bumper cover and just call it a day . Its looks sooooooooo good jus how it is . The Holden is a continent away , so jus completely 100% badge engineer this bioooootch
Old 01-10-2007, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
The deterioration in profitability through the appreciation of the Australian dollar, we passed on to the customer.
It gets to be an oxygen-deprived environment. This time we're going to try very hard to keep the vehicle in the mid-$20,000s.
That's what I don't get. When the GTO program was conceived the Australian dollar was somewhere between 50 and 60 cents. Now it's around 80 cents.

If the GTO had to sell in the low $30,000s to have a chance at profitibility, how can the Commodore, 4 years later, with a 40% stronger dollar, and a likely more expense car to build, hope to sell for less? I suppose a V6 model would help a little, although the HFV6 is not any cheaper to build than an LSx, and the article specifically mentioned the Commodore SS.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by R377
That's what I don't get. When the GTO program was conceived the Australian dollar was somewhere between 50 and 60 cents. Now it's around 80 cents.

If the GTO had to sell in the low $30,000s to have a chance at profitibility, how can the Commodore, 4 years later, with a 40% stronger dollar, and a likely more expense car to build, hope to sell for less? I suppose a V6 model would help a little, although the HFV6 is not any cheaper to build than an LSx, and the article specifically mentioned the Commodore SS.
That's what I keep telling people who care to listen to my logical reason... why do a pair of Levi denim jeans cost $US30 and we Aussies must fork out $AU130?

We pay more for our cars in Australia, not because of economies of scale IMO, but because our perception of value is lower than that of the US consumer... in other words we are prepared to pay more for the same item, and hence, vendors are prepared to charge more.

When is colonial Australia going to break itself free from Mother England?!?!?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
That's what I keep telling people who care to listen to my logical reason... why do a pair of Levi denim jeans cost $US30 and we Aussies must fork out $AU130?

We pay more for our cars in Australia, not because of economies of scale IMO, but because our perception of value is lower than that of the US consumer... in other words we are prepared to pay more for the same item, and hence, vendors are prepared to charge more.

When is colonial Australia going to break itself free from Mother England?!?!?
Hmmm, sounds like exactly the same problem we have here in Canada too??!

Quick Reply: Holden Commodore = Pontiac G8 CONFIRMED