Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GT500 with lots of mods goes 11.81...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 09:37 AM

Re: GT500 with lots of mods goes 11.81...

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Oh, I don't know...what's the quickest 315 RWHP M6 LS1 you've ever seen/heard of?
I personally have witnessed 12.90s @ 110 bone stock down to the paper filter from a 2000 SS that was only weeks old. That's faster than this "500hp" GT500 did stock apparently, with far, far less HP and 6 years ago to boot.

But I guess I'm missing your point. I was referring to the fact that at a given HP level, say 500hp, a pushrod motor such as the LS7 would have a huge weight advantage.

With the blower and all? Absolutely, probably more.
Right, exactly. And tying this back in with the "we don't want a pig Camaro" debate, its reasonable to assume any given Camaro, all else being equal, is going to be at least 100 lbs lighter than the Mustang, just because the Mod motors are so physically large/heavy despite their smaller displacements.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Oh....one other thing. In my drag racing experience, my best MPH almost always comes with my best ET - or at least with a run in which I did NOT spin the tires excessively. I personally think the "high mph because I spun the tires" line is pure bunk.

Bob
Finally someone sets the record straight. I have had the same experience, although with MUCH less seat time than you Bob, in the 1/4 mile. The myth of getting the best MPH with bad E.T.s needs to go away. It doesn't make any sense.

As for the GT500. We all need to give it time. It won't be long before they find which mods give the biggest bang for the buck. Sure, it might not be what people were bragging it up to be stock, but they are going to be beasts to deal with soon enough. No matter what is done, the cars weight can never be compensated for, and that should be the single biggest disappointment for the GT500.

Dan
Old 08-24-2006, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
I personally have witnessed 12.90s @ 110 bone stock down to the paper filter from a 2000 SS that was only weeks old.
Yeah, but that is very misleading comparing a "best of the best" stock LS1 time, to this GT 500, which doesn't seem to have a very good driver mod. Magazines have gotten stock GT500 times quite a bit faster than the 12.9@110 for the LS1.

I don't like the GT500 personally, but we have to be fair.

Dan
Old 08-24-2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6

Right, exactly. And tying this back in with the "we don't want a pig Camaro" debate, its reasonable to assume any given Camaro, all else being equal, is going to be at least 100 lbs lighter than the Mustang, just because the Mod motors are so physically large/heavy despite their smaller displacements.
The Hurricane engine and a redesigned Mustang come out right after the release of the Camaro. No one knows what the weight of either will be.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by scott9050
The Hurricane engine and a redesigned Mustang come out right after the release of the Camaro. No one knows what the weight of either will be.
Hurricane will still be OHC. OHV engines, given similar materials, will always be lighter than OHC engines. It's a simple question of packaging.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Hurricane will still be OHC. .
Do we know that for a fact?
Old 08-24-2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Hurricane will still be OHC. OHV engines, given similar materials, will always be lighter than OHC engines. It's a simple question of packaging.
It's still not reasonable to assume however that the Camaro will be lighter for several reasons including that as it looks now, future Cobra models will not need a blower due to larger displacement (goodbye charger and intercooler setup). This also opens the possibility of aluminum blocks being used again instead of iron. I could see the Cobra of the future shedding several hundred pounds at least. Add to that the fact that the Camaro will have IRS versus a live axle and there is no telling which future car will be the heaviest.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Okay, I guess we don't...

I'll be surprised (pleasantly) if it's not true, though.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
A guy on GMI was spouting it as fact but I don't think anyone is positive yet.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:22 AM

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=312942

Wow, I just took the time to sit and read through all 11 pages of that thread ... that was some of the worst reading ever!!!

In over 4 years of being a member here on , I have NEVER seen as much "banning" and talk about banning as I did over there?! It's like it's such a common thing to do, that EVERYBODY is quick to jump and point out who's next!? I think I remember 1 or 2 cases of somebody getting carried away (in the Lounge) and getting the boot, but they were way out of line ..... not just for expressing their opinions over a car!!

...maybe the Mustang guys just know better not to come here and p!$$ off the Camaro guys, 'cause they know we'll whip them out on the track?? We don't seem to get many "trolls" like that?

Sorry, I realize that was a little off topic, but just thought it was worth commenting on.

Last edited by Capn Pete; 08-24-2006 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by stereomandan
Yeah, but that is very misleading comparing a "best of the best" stock LS1 time, to this GT 500, which doesn't seem to have a very good driver mod. Magazines have gotten stock GT500 times quite a bit faster than the 12.9@110 for the LS1.

I don't like the GT500 personally, but we have to be fair.

Dan
Bob asked me for an example, I complied. I didn't bring up the comparison.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by scott9050
It's still not reasonable to assume however that the Camaro will be lighter for several reasons including that as it looks now, future Cobra models will not need a blower due to larger displacement (goodbye charger and intercooler setup). This also opens the possibility of aluminum blocks being used again instead of iron. I could see the Cobra of the future shedding several hundred pounds at least. Add to that the fact that the Camaro will have IRS versus a live axle and there is no telling which future car will be the heaviest.
Actually I think Mustang is due for a refreshening and I thought I had read that IRS was part of the update.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=312942

Wow, I just took the time to sit and read through all 11 pages of that thread ... that was some of the worst reading ever!!!

In over 4 years of being a member here on , I have NEVER seen as much "banning" and talk about banning as I did over there?! It's like it's such a common thing to do, that EVERYBODY is quick to jump and point out who's next!? I think I remember 1 or 2 cases of somebody getting carried away (in the Lounge) and getting the boot, but they were way out of line ..... not just for expressing their opinions over a car!!

...maybe the Mustang guys just know better not to come here and p!$$ off the Camaro guys, 'cause they know we'll whip them out on the track?? We don't seem to get many "trolls" like that?

Sorry, I realize that was a little off topic, but just thought it was worth commenting on.
You either agree with them, or you arent allowed into the circle, lol.

But if the next Camaro ran a high-high 11, blown with most of the boltons and gears and a tune up, we would have to be just as thick headed to pretend its worth the already high price of the car plus the cost of the air intake, exhaust, wheels, tires, comp tune, and whatever else im forgetting on that mostly stock car. lol
Old 08-24-2006, 12:01 PM

Red face Re: GT500 with lots of mods goes 11.81...

Originally Posted by slayerxxx213
I just hope that GM takes a serious look at the GT500 and realizes that no matter what, the new Camaro can be nowhere near that heavy. I don't care if they make a 600 hp "GT500 killer" for 40k...If it's as heavy as the GT500 I will have zero interest in it...The GT500 is really a sorry excuse for an American performance car
Depends.

If GM goes the supercharger route on the new "Top Camaro", expect the package to add 150 to 200 pounds. Starting.

If GM manages to do it normally aspirated, through say, a cheaper version of the 7 liter, and manages to keep the weight of the drivetrain down (no easy task when we're talking 500+ horses) then there won't be too much of a weight penalty.

The new Mustang GT weighs almost exactly the same as a 2002 Z28 (+/-3450#). GT500 weighs in around 3900. Most every pound of that is engine and drivetrain.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Zigroid
Im just glad I contributed to the locking of a thread
here here

Quick Reply: GT500 with lots of mods goes 11.81...