Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GT500 with lots of mods goes 11.81...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 01:49 PM

Re: GT500 with lots of mods goes 11.81...

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
That aside, I was only using the Z06 as an example. Pretty much all cars get a touch faster once they're broken in, but the Mustang guys act like theirs is the only one that will.
Where are you getting this from? I haven't seen any Mustang owners act, assume, or state that only Mustangs get faster with a break-in. Am I just missing it in this thread, on another site (link?), or is it just in your head because you dislike Mustangs and/or their owners?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by scott9050
Some is a very small number.
"Some," when I used it, was not intended to have any connotation of size, except to imply "not all". 90% qualifies as "some". In my experience, it's erroneous to assume otherwise.

Most people buying these 2 cars though do have some kind of a bias. These 2 cars represent very important parts of America, America's first sports car and the first Pony car. Neither is a generic automobile and people are more passionate about which they prefer.
There are people (or should I say "some people" ) who care about buying American, and are fine with either Ford or Chevy (or Chyrsler).

They are not the majority, but they are not insignificant and should not be ignored.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
And Evan Smith ALSO ran an 11.97 @ 118 mph in a brand new '04 Z06 with nothing but DR's on it. What's that, oh yeah, right, a 405 HP car to a 500 HP car!!! But ok, we'll keep believing that the weight isn't an issue and it'll run better once it's broken in.
The C5 Z06 Evan Smith ran a 11.97 in was on street tires, not drag radials I believe.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Again, please show me where I claimed that the Shelby was svelte?
I apologize -- I thought you said that the Camaro wasn't going to be as svelte. You were in fact not making a comparison, and it was the comparison that I didn't like.

Originally Posted by Chris89Stang
Where are you getting this from? I haven't seen any Mustang owners act, assume, or state that only Mustangs get faster with a break-in. Am I just missing it in this thread, on another site (link?), or is it just in your head because you dislike Mustangs and/or their owners?
I can not figure out why nobody understands me. Let me try to go through this step by step.

1. GT500 supporters claim that the car will get faster once it's broken in. This is true.

2. The reason that they make this claim is in response to comments that the car should be faster than it is (for various reasons, mostly weight and traction).

3. Most of the comments come from people who like to point out the quarter-mile times of the other 500hp domestics -- Viper, Z06, and Ford GT -- all of which run in the 11's on street tires if the conditions are right and the driver knows what he (or she) is doing.

4. Those 11.x runs in those other cars were magazine tests performed when the cars were new, before they were broken in. Just like the GT500.

So the point here is that if it were going to run numbers that would satisfy the standard set for us for 500hp domestic sporting cars, it would have done so brand new, and the numbers would then get a little bit better once it's broken in.

Since all of the cars in question are awaiting better numbers after break-in, the fact that this is true for the GT500 does not make it fare any better by comparison, and is therefore a pointless claim, IMO.

Please, for the love of Scott Settlemier, tell me you understand.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:08 PM

Anyone who reads this forum realizes that he hates Ford with blind passion. Nothing they ever do could ever be right. That is why people listen for the unbiased comments of someone like Guy instead.
Blah, blah, blah...

You wanna spend $45k on a dolled up mudstain, go right ahead.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
The C5 Z06 Evan Smith ran a 11.97 in was on street tires, not drag radials I believe.
You could be right? I had that mag at home awhile ago (don't know where it's at right now ... I just moved a couple months ago) but I "thought" that they put sticky tires on the car?? But maybe they said something like imagine IF it had sticky tires?? I dunno! Regardless, I just think that comparing a ~405 HP car to a ~500 HP car, there should be clear nod to the 500 HP car to win a 1/4 mile dash, and it shouldn't take an intake/exhaust/tuning to do so. And of COURSE I realize the weight difference, and I realize that weight wasn't necessarily brought into this for the sake of comparing the GT500 with OTHER cars (although it's certainly an explanation for the GT500's own poor performance #'s).

...I guess we need to give these cars more time to get more REAL WORLD experience with them, and then see who's where on the speed list??

I think right now comparisons are being made between the GT500 and the Corvette because, well, there's NOTHING ELSE TO COMPARE TO!!!! I mean, we can compare it to PAST Camaros, and if it really does run low 13's / high 12's stock, that's a good comparison. To compare it to FUTURE Camaros is utter BS because nobody knows WHAT to expect with the Camaro. The Challenger at least has a tad more info on it (namely, the WEIGHT) so we could start making speculative comparisons there. Otherwise, we're left comparing the new Mustang to other Mustangs, or past Camaros, or CURRENT ~500 HP cars, ie: Corvette!

I didn't think there was anything wrong with that???
Old 08-23-2006, 03:31 PM

...I guess we need to give these cars more time to get more REAL WORLD experience with them, and then see who's where on the speed list??

I think right now comparisons are being made between the GT500 and the Corvette because, well, there's NOTHING ELSE TO COMPARE TO!!!! I mean, we can compare it to PAST Camaros, and if it really does run low 13's / high 12's stock, that's a good comparison.
From what I'm seeing of most of times being bandied about, a Z51 C6 and this car are going to be relatively close stock for stock in the 1/4 mile with the C6 Z51 having the advantage... and... in every other measure of performance, the Mustang gets crushed.

And after hearing all the hype, the Ford nuthuggers are forced to yet again face another hard truth:

Dollar for dollar, given the best Ford can seem to do, they have yet again failed to outperform GM.

The '03 Cobra was a bright spot for 'em, but apart from that, there ain't much to get all happy about. The current GT Mustang is a slug, and the GT500 failed to live up to the the "Vette beater" hype.

Mostly 'cause it's a pig.

BTW...

This is a good lesson for GM. 3900 lbs. Camaros are a bad idea.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with that???
Meh...

Me neither.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by PacerX
And as far as I'm concerned, that's the whole point of this thread.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:47 PM

Location: NEPA 15min to stroudsburg, 30min to A-town, 45min to Wilkes-Barre

Did some of these boneheads pay $50,000 for this thing???
Ya, I was working at a ford dealer a few months ago, they are getting 15k+ over sticker!

So ford comes out with a s/c car to compete with n/a cars that perform the same. Hello!? Where is the logic?
Old 08-23-2006, 03:51 PM

Let's get into a few things here. One is that the gear they chose, they are basically admitting that they can not drive the car well with the 4.10's as it is losing traction. With that much torque I think it is a useless mod. Apparently it only has a cold air intake, a cat back, a tune and unknown suspension mods that apparently are not working very well. There are all sorts of Mustang shops, those that are respected and those who could not get a car to run right no matter what they do. It sure as hell does not mean that they are professionals, especially putting on some mods that a backyard tuner could do. I would like to see what a respected tuner like Randy Haywood could do with a similar car. And as I said earlier, the writing is on the wall with the new Camaro. It may not be as portly as the Shelby for obvious reasons (no supercharger, intercooling piping etc) but it is not going to be svelte either.
As far as how good these tuners are, I have no idea....but if they do this for a living and get paid for it - they are by definition, professionals.

And the need to try a 4.10 axle ratio with that incredible mountain of torque the GT500's motor puts out, makes my point. It takes an inordinate amount of torque/torque multiplication to get two tons of mass in motion.

Less torque with less weight, it might appear, would be more effective.

Last edited by Z284ever; 08-23-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by dream '94 Z28
$36K for a stripped Camaro is a turn off for me.
Who the hell said stripped? I said cloth seats...I imagine all the standard power goodies are there...

What would you expect for 500hp at that price point?
Old 08-23-2006, 04:00 PM

This is exactly the reason we need an all aluminum N/A 427 instead of a blown... anything. Saving weight! And gas mileage and stuff!
Old 08-23-2006, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
And as far as I'm concerned, that's the whole point of this thread.
Well, there's a second point, and it is that the top heavy, overweight Ford Mod Motors are underperformers regardless of their HP rating.

I gaurantee the motor alone outweighs and LS1 by 200 lbs.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:47 PM

One thing to consider, for people who keep wondering why we are bringing up the C6 Z06; when the two vehicles (GT500 and C6 Z06) were pre-production we had both here, and at other GM fansites, alot of Mustang fans crowing about how the GT 500 was going to annihalate both the C6 Z51 AND the C6 Z06. Not really any different then how when the GT came out, the Ford Fanatics were quit to point out how it crushed the C5 Z06 and the Viper.

For the record, I like the new 'Stangs, and think the GT500 is a very cool car, needs a serious diet, but still a cool car.

One last point: while SOME people ( I believe a VERY small minority) will buy a car based solely on the performance figures, most buyers of the two marques in question, Mustang and Corvette are EXTREMELY name loyal, not even so much brand loyal.

As an example, my father would not even LOOK at a GT500 even if it soundly embarrassed his C6 Z51. To him, no matter how fast, cool looking, whatever, it is not as cool as a Corvette. To each their own, I would rather have the 'Vette also.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:04 PM

I'd be willing to accept the "inept driver" excuse, but trap speed is generally fairly independant of the driver, and a 107mph trap truly sucks donkey *****.

At $92,000, the car is a frigging joke.
Well I don't see much point in holding the premium of the car the dealers charge for it and the wealthy pay for it against the car itself. I felt that was very silly for people to do to begin with the GTO when it came out doublely so now.

And as far as the 107 mph trap is concerned. Unless something is very very broken on this car nothing about the car adds up to that being remotely the norm so why are people almost salivating over those numbers is beyond me.

Quick Reply: GT500 with lots of mods goes 11.81...