Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GT500 with lots of mods goes 11.81...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 01:16 PM

Re: GT500 with lots of mods goes 11.81...

Originally Posted by PacerX
I'd be willing to accept the "inept driver" excuse, but trap speed is generally fairly independant of the driver, and a 107mph trap truly sucks donkey *****.

At $92,000, the car is a frigging joke.
Not necessarily. 107 trap is a full 5 mph slower than any magazine writer has claimed, and those were considered slow. If they were blowing the tires off through the gears (as I have heard claimed is happening already) the the traps will be low. People can ask any price they want for a car. The fact of the matter is the sticker is around $45K, anyone who pays $92K is an idiot. The price will come down as it did with the '03 cars.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Omegalock
Sure it is. But considering in that thread that was posted they say the car only has 40 something miles on it. Most of it dyno time most likely. I'd think the knee jerk over-reaction of the e-warriors around the web is a bit ridiculous. I remember way way way back this yellow terminator in some Mustang mag right when it came out that had some mods done to it and it ran like a 12.5 or something like that. Fast forward a year....well lookey at that people are blowing those numbers away and some are knocking on that number bone stock. I will not want to see the endless whinning that will happen on these boards if the new Camaro doesn't outrace the space shuttle fresh out it's first month of production.
No doubt they will get the GT500 to run faster due to better break in/driving/tuning/whatever.

But the fact of the matter is, that a consortium of Mustang tuners, (who presumably have a clue on tuning Mustangs), have taken a Mustang with a very high level of factory powertrain kit, with an already hellacious amount of power, with easy tunability potential, which has been modded on a dyno and track tested by professionals. Considering all this - I was expecting a better performance.

For me, the big take away here, is that in the 'real world' of physics, there are diminishing returns to simply adding copious amounts of power in order accelerate a car which is excessively heavy.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Nobody said it, and that's the point. GT500 sympathizers are always talking about how it'll get faster once it's broken in, but they fail to realize that the competition will too.

I, for one, am looking forward to reading about a bone-stock, street-tired, 40,000-mile C6 Z06 running 11.5@127.

Since when is a 2 seat sports car that stckers (without markups) for $30K more than the Shelby "competition"? I guess lambo's and Ferrari's are competition too?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:22 PM

MSRP, loaded up: $45,060

Or....

You can buy a Z51 Vette for roughly $2000 more (MSRP + destination).

$2000 is roughly $36 a month over 5 years...

Hmmmm... Vette vs. Mudstain.... Vette vs. Mudstain...

Yeah...

That's a tough one.
Most buyers either want one or the other. A lot of people still look at a Corvette as a middle age crisis mobile. The market is completely different in most cases, and going by the fact that both are selling well apparently not everyone shares your view.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:28 PM

Nope. That's what you read into it.

MSRP, loaded up: $45,060

Or....

You can buy a Z51 Vette for roughly $2000 more (MSRP + destination).

$2000 is roughly $36 a month over 5 years...

Hmmmm... Vette vs. Mudstain.... Vette vs. Mudstain...

Yeah...

That's a tough one.
Yeah, not too tough of a decision when you have your head up GM's ***. You ever think maybe some people don't like the Corvette and have no desire to own one?!!

Hell, why do people buy new M3's over the vette? They have pretty close MSRP prices.

By your logic nobody should buy any vehicle, that has a similar MSRP, other than the vette. I guess thats what blind brand loyalty will do to you.....
Old 08-23-2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever

But the fact of the matter is, that a consortium of Mustang tuners, (who presumably have a clue on tuning Mustangs), have taken a Mustang with a very high level of factory powertrain kit, with an already hellacious amount of power, with easy tunability potential, which has been modded on a dyno and track tested by professionals. Considering all this - I was expecting a better performance.

For me, the big take away here, is that in the 'real world' of physics, there are diminishing returns to simply adding copious amounts of power in order accelerate a car which is excessively heavy.
Let's get into a few things here. One is that the gear they chose, they are basically admitting that they can not drive the car well with the 4.10's as it is losing traction. With that much torque I think it is a useless mod. Apparently it only has a cold air intake, a cat back, a tune and unknown suspension mods that apparently are not working very well. There are all sorts of Mustang shops, those that are respected and those who could not get a car to run right no matter what they do. It sure as hell does not mean that they are professionals, especially putting on some mods that a backyard tuner could do. I would like to see what a respected tuner like Randy Haywood could do with a similar car. And as I said earlier, the writing is on the wall with the new Camaro. It may not be as portly as the Shelby for obvious reasons (no supercharger, intercooling piping etc) but it is not going to be svelte either.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chris89Stang
Yeah, not too tough of a decision when you have your head up GM's ***. You ever think maybe some people don't like the Corvette and have no desire to own one?!!

Hell, why do people buy new M3's over the vette? They have pretty close MSRP prices.

By your logic nobody should buy any vehicle, that has a similar MSRP, other than the vette. I guess thats what blind brand loyalty will do to you.....

Anyone who reads this forum realizes that he hates Ford with blind passion. Nothing they ever do could ever be right. That is why people listen for the unbiased comments of someone like Guy instead.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by scott9050
Since when is a 2 seat sports car that stckers (without markups) for $30K more than the Shelby "competition"? I guess lambo's and Ferrari's are competition too?
In spite of all logic, some buyers will cross-shop the GT500 with both regular Vette's and Z06 Vette's. Why? Because they want a "fast car", and all three, to some degree, satisfy that desire. In that light, yes, Lambo's and Ferraris count too. However, the prices are so much higher and the marques in question are so fundamentally different that it's far less likely.

That aside, I was only using the Z06 as an example. Pretty much all cars get a touch faster once they're broken in, but the Mustang guys act like theirs is the only one that will.

So, in short, thanks for missing my point.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:41 PM

In spite of all logic, some buyers will cross-shop the GT500 with both regular Vette's and Z06 Vette's. Why? Because they want a "fast car", and all three, to some degree, satisfy that desire. In that light, yes, Lambo's and Ferraris count too. However, the prices are so much higher and the marques in question are so fundamentally different that it's far less likely.

That aside, I was only using the Z06 as an example. Pretty much all cars get a touch faster once they're broken in, but the Mustang guys act like theirs is the only one that will.

So, in short, thanks for missing my point.
The point you were trying to make was already made and acknowledged, but I disagree that a large number of buyers will look at each car. Mustang people typically want a Mustang, not a Vette, and Corvette people would not be caught dead in a Mustang for the most part.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

It may not be as portly as the Shelby for obvious reasons (no supercharger, intercooling piping etc) but it is not going to be svelte either.
svelte: showing a high degree of refinement and the assurance that comes from wide social experience

You're saying that the GT500 is going to show a higher level of refinement than the Camaro?

Do you have anything to base that on?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:44 PM

svelte: showing a high degree of refinement and the assurance that comes from wide social experience

You're saying that the GT500 is going to show a higher level of refinement than the Camaro?

Do you have anything to base that on?
Maybe you should look up the definitions of svelte, it has more than one:
gracefully slender; moving and bending with ease
That is the one I was using, but you apparently did not read down far enough when you were searching for a definition
Old 08-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

The point you were trying to make was already made and acknowledged, but I disagree that a large number of buyers will look at each car. Mustang people typically want a Mustang, not a Vette, and Corvette people would not be caught dead in a Mustang for the most part.
I didn't say "a large number", I said "some".

Indeed, a large number of performance enthusiasts have a favorite brand and/or model. There are two things to take into account, though: there are some that don't have a favorite, and there are some whose minds can be changed.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:47 PM

I didn't say "a large number", I said "some".
Some is a very small number.

Indeed, a large number of performance enthusiasts have a favorite brand and/or model. There are two things to take into account, though: there are some that don't have a favorite, and there are some whose minds can be changed.
Most people buying these 2 cars though do have some kind of a bias. These 2 cars represent very important parts of America, America's first sports car and the first Pony car. Neither is a generic automobile and people are more passionate about which they prefer.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

That is the one I was using, but you apparently did not read down far enough when you were searching for a definition
Okay, thanks for clarifying. Now, please tell me how the GT500 is more svelte than the Camaro. I don't think that statement is true for any definitions of svelte.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:49 PM

Okay, thanks for clarifying. Now, please tell me how the GT500 is more svelte than the Camaro. I don't think that statement is true for any definitions of svelte.
Again, please show me where I claimed that the Shelby was svelte? The point I was trying to make was the opposite, that even though the camaro might not be quite as heavy, it would not be Svelte either in top form because of government imposed restrictions and the innability to use exotic materials because of cost restrictions. Happy? I don't have a Mustang in my future as they are not my style, but plans are being made to get a new Camaro when the inevitable price gouging stops after release.

Last edited by scott9050; 08-23-2006 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: GT500 with lots of mods goes 11.81...