Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM's new performance....makes the FBodies kinda..obsolete???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by RoMaD
I just found this a little odd especially with how new the car is. Already seeing them ghetto'ized just kind of shows the demographic here in NW Ohio. It seems the only ones that can afford them and modify them are, how shall I say... those with pagers who don't have an office (you do the math).

Ya, some of your posts really amaze me as far as what you see, and how many of them

Of course, my area is goofy as hell too... I see TONS of AZTEKS!
Old 04-21-2003, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Darth Xed

Either way, It's hard to hold an entire car line's image to a few odd ***** who make their cars look like a bad Hot Wheels experiment...
Agreed. It's pretty hard to say you think a car is ugly because of what tacky aftermarket items people put on the car. I admit CTS isn't for everyone but I much prefer a polarizing design like that over the ho-hum Lincoln LS.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by Caps94ZODG
ummm...as far as what I have read..the RWD Monte and Impy are in the can and ready to go..it is a reality..do a search on here..

"Author: guionM
Date Posted: 2/13/2003 11:40:38 AM
Message: GM has a new V8 engine plant and new RWD transmission plant comming on line here in the US in the 2nd half of 2005 that is earmarked for passenger cars. GM-Holden is finishing up it's collaberation with GM-North America on a new RWD chassis that is to debut in Australia in calender year 2005, and this chassis will be produced both here and Australia. Monte Carlo & Impala will be reengineered in 2006 on an entirely new chassis with a 'different layout". All of this is DIRECTLY from GM's press releases.... so, YOU tell me what do YOU think?!! "

taken by Guion M himself..if he dosnt know more than the rest of us yahoos here no one does!
so it is true..
I do not need to do a search on this subject. I am on this board every couple of days and I read every post that is made in this forum. I may not post a lot, but I am here and have been for several years. I realize this is the popular opinion on this board, that was the point I was trying to make. My opinion does not come from lack of knowledge on the subject, it comes from disagreement with the popular opinion.

I agree with most of the information in the reference that you posted. Gm is working on a RWD chassis with Holden for more mainstream applications. The Impala and Monte Carlo are supposed to get V8s, and there is a redesign scheduled for the 2006 timeframe. I just don't agree that the Impala and Monte are going to be put on the new RWD platform.

I understand what you are saying about Guion's posts. I find his posts informative and often very accurate. In this case, I have my reasons for disagreeing.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:01 PM

well maybee guionM can come in here and state it. I have read ...kick my butt if I am wrong and just dreaming..GM has declared the RWD Impy and Monte are on there way..there making the Supercharged SS's right now to kinda bridge the gap..before taking the leap to RWD again...

now the other thing..I have not seen any CTS's that were GEHTOOIZED? ?? never at all..a few caddy's here and there..and here in my home town is where Antwain Walker and Paul Peirce live..they both have NICE Escalades..22"'s and such..but nice...and I do see alot of good looking caddy's..none really tacky..some people know how to make something look like class and sharp and some people know how to make a car look like a cheep hooker..
but would love to see a CTS all get-toed'd lol
Old 04-22-2003, 02:13 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Z28Marcus

I don't see how anyone could compare the ugly-*** angular CTS with the muscular sleekness of the f-body.
That sounds about right to me. I didn't mind the angular look of Cadillacs from the late-70s to the mid 1980s, but the slab sides on the CTS make it look tall and narrow. Isn't odd how the originator of the "big is better" school of automotive design is now producing a car narrower than similar German midsizers.

Its time that "longer, lower and wider" came back into GMs design vocabulary.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:45 AM

OK, I'll chime in (been out sick for a few days).

Chevrolet and Pontiac will DEFINATELY have new rwd cars by the 2007 model year, short of GM's finances reflecting Ford of last year. I just wrote a story on this. Buick may also be a part of this (you'll have to wait till July to read the whole story).

BUT as to what they will be called, holeshot is partially correct. It is a big assumption to automatically assume it will be called Impala. It is completely true that Chevy is working on a new Impala. It's also very true that the new Impala will be out in 2006. But looking at the factories and model life cycles (and the current popularity of the existing FWD Impala & Monte Carlo), it's completely plausible that the new RWD Chevy may be an addition, rather than a replacement to the lineup.

The most likely factory these RWD cars will be made at currently has cars that's scheduled to be discontinued in 2006. None of them are mid-lux cars.

As for Monte Carlo becomming RWD, though I also think that's likely, again, that's not automatic. GTO won't be a solo coupe, and Chevy's seems certain to get a version, but I wouldn't rule out a common name for the RWD coupe & sedan.

The new vehicles are definately comming, but looking at what's going to be discontinued to make room for them, and the potential of keeping existing FWD models going at the same time the RWDs come out, it's honestly too early to tell.

Last edited by guionM; 04-22-2003 at 09:48 AM.