Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Genesis coupe first drive.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
The Genisis V6 should start well below $30K.
I debated whether or not to put the question mark...

While North American prices have not been announced, the Korean prices have and although the trim is going to be a bit different in the US the I4 starts at the equivalent of $23,000 while the V6 is $30,100.

Even if it did cost $30K, it doesn't go up against the Camaro SS, or even the cheaper Mustang GT any more than it will go up against a Dodge Challenger R/T. The buyers of these cars (including the G37) quite frankly are not intrested in rip-roaring, hairy-fisted, high-powered V8 engines. Period.
I don't know that this statement is necessarily true. And if it is does that mean that the Camaro team failed? They were supposed to expand the appeal of the car weren't they? If anything the G37 is the least likely to compete with the Genesis out of any cars you named there. Maybe the old timers that have the V8 only mentality won't cross shop, but the number of younger people that won't buy a V8 are grossly exaggerated. And in the end people that want a sporty car are going to be cross shopping based on cost and maybe size more-so than engine architecture anyway.

That is why I feel the V6 Camaro is by far the bigger news, the best competitor, and potentially the savior of the Camaro name way over anything the V8 SS will ever be able to do.
I agree. But the point is that the Genesis V6 will likely not only outperform the base Camaro, but it will likely cost a fair amount more. In the end I don't think that will be a big deal since the Genesis V6 will likely end up costing about as much as an SS and at that point if you want a Camaro and care about outrunning Hyundais, you can always buy the SS.

The new Camaro has a highly sophisticated V6 that not only gets amazing power but also gets stunning fuel economy, plus a modern (and by all accounts, smooth shifting) 6 speed manual, and advanced IRS. Then in LT form, there is alot of equptment.
Which will hopefully make it very attractive compared to the I4 Genesis... which may or may not end up cheaper than the Camaro (which I doubt by any substatntial amount)

From a pricing standpoint, a well equpted Camaro RS is a far greater value than a base G37 despite pricing being similar.

The action (and survival) is with V6 sports coupes now.
Maybe. It will remain to be seen if the every day experience is really better with one or the other. In theory the G37 should be a lot more luxurious based on the price point.

Think of the V8 Camaro SS as a sort of Lexus IS-f or better, a BMW M3. The SS is a high performance track car that gets the press and sets the tone, but it's really a modestly low production car for hard core enthusiasts since the V6 car is so good, it stands on it's own... and generates sales.
I think the V6 is quite a good car, but I don't know if I will go as far as you do with the conclusions. It isn't going to necessarily compete with every V6 sport coupe from anywhere else simply because most of the other ones are the top of their line and either have more power, weigh less, or both. Most cost more so it might be a moot point anyway. While the numbers are certainly nice for a base car I think you are going to find that it is probably about as quick as a G35 coupe, slower than the G37, slightly slower than the 350Z, slower than the 370Z, slower than the Genesis V6, and it will be slower than the LT1 4th gens on average. Then you have the front-driver V6's that maybe cost a bit more but will be about as quick (well probably a little slower)... Accord, Altima, and you can even throw in the G6 GXP as they will all be potential competitors. Should beat the Challenger and Mustang V6 cars, at least until those are upgraded. I think that is probably ok though based on the price-point.

THIS is why I feel this car is going to sell alot, mostly to young drivers.... Hell, that picture alone almost changes my "Ho-Hum" opinion of that car!

Once the aftermarket kicks in (both in appearence and in kicking up the power of that turbo 4) we're going to see these things everywhere.

The economy may be in the tank, and hybrids may be getting all the press, but at least there is no doubt that we're in for some exytremely interesting times on the sports coupe & performance car front.
Agree with all of this.

Last edited by HAZ-Matt; 01-12-2009 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
If anything the G37 is the least likely to compete with the Genesis out of any cars you named there.
I just came from the SJ Autoshow today. After seeing the Genesis Coupe in the flesh, I think it competes directly with the G37 Coupe. There's an unmistakable similarity in styling, engine, layout, etc.

It sort of begs the question as to whether Hyundai might build a mini-Genesis Sedan to compete against the G37 Sedan.