Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Genesis coupe first drive.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:01 PM

That car looks pretty nice. I would definitely check it out. Would I buy one? Married with 3 kids, probably not. I still got the fbody for toyin around.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:44 PM

So isn't the Genesis V6 supposed to be about $30K, which would make it complete with the SS while the Genesis I4 goes up against Camaro and Mustang V6?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Koz

Contrary to most here, I like the styling quite a bit. The comments at the bottom of the article point out various errors (I ed when I read 32 valve V6)...supposedly the V6 will have 306hp or so.

Only thing I don't particularly like is the front grille, but other than that I think it looks really nice. Wonder what the interior looks like.

On a somewhat unrelated note: I find it very impressive that Hyundai offers a 10yr/100k warranty. GM's is a great warranty IMO at 5yr/100k, but 10yr is fantastic. I wonder if it's as comprehensive as GM's though.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
The Genesis coupe is quite a bit more appealing to me than the current Mustang or Camaro in terms of styling. I suppose I'm just not really big on retro styling.
I assumed the Genesis Coupe was retro styled, circa 1990's
Old 01-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by teal98
Hmm. I'd like to drive that GSX. Well, actually, a ride with the owner would be more fun. I'd be too nervous driving it, unless it was mine! What did he do to it?
The stock factory rating in 1970 was 360hp and 510lb-ft from the Stage 1 Buick 455. That's SAE gross, not net, so it's not as much power as it sounds like by today's standards.

His engine is balanced and blueprinted, 0.030 over (462ci), with a big cam, ported heads, electronic ignition, a huge ported race-ready carb (950cfm before porting, more like 1050 now), and a serpentine belt conversion.

IIRC, best run so far is a 12.4 @ 109 with a 1.7 60' on Nitto 555Rs. It's heavy (4000 lbs + driver) and peak torque occurs at very low RPM and falls off from there. Peak hp is around 330-350 at the wheels through a cheap, unlocked converter. He wants a one of the 5-clutch-disc Vigilante converters, but the guy that built the trans doesn't think it'll hold together with all of that power.

It's a sweetheart to drive. Power delivery is totally linear. He's done a bunch of suspension stuff (the front suspension is completely custom, including mount points) and it drives better than anything else I've ever encountered from that decade.

Here's a video from a couple years ago, before some of the aforementioned changes:
http://homepage.mac.com/jakerobb/gsx/accelerate.mp4

He just picked up an ATI D1 and is working on fabbing up the necessary brackets and plumbing to get it mounted in there. This summer should be interesting.

/threadjack
Old 01-07-2009, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
So isn't the Genesis V6 supposed to be about $30K, which would make it complete with the SS while the Genesis I4 goes up against Camaro and Mustang V6?
I have a feeling that the Genesis v6 will cost at minimum as much as a mustang GT (around 28+k). A better comparison for the v6 mustang and v6 camaro pricewise would be the 212hp turbo 2.0. I don't think pricing info has been released yet.

I don't expect the turbo genesis to be much of a performer. The genesis 4's hp/weight ratio is even worse than the mustangs. 16.22lbs/hp for genesis 4, 15.92lbs/hp for the v6 mustang, and 12.45lbs/hp for the v6 camaro.

If the turbo 4 is mod friendly (isn't it hyundai's version of the EVO/CaliberSRT4 motor?), i can see it still being a nice seller and hit with the tuner crowd.

Not a big fan but at least someone's offering an affordable Rwd turbo coupe.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
If the turbo 4 is mod friendly (isn't it hyundai's version of the EVO/CaliberSRT4 motor?), i can see it still being a nice seller and hit with the tuner crowd.

Not a big fan but at least someone's offering an affordable Rwd turbo coupe.

Yeah, that's the "World Engine" co-developed by Chrysler/Mitsu/Hyundai. I also understand that the 4 in the Genesis was tuned for MPG rather than performance, but of course it's tuner friendly.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
The stock factory rating in 1970 was 360hp and 510lb-ft from the Stage 1 Buick 455. That's SAE gross, not net, so it's not as much power as it sounds like by today's standards.

His engine is balanced and blueprinted, 0.030 over (462ci), with a big cam, ported heads, electronic ignition, a huge ported race-ready carb (950cfm before porting, more like 1050 now), and a serpentine belt conversion.

IIRC, best run so far is a 12.4 @ 109 with a 1.7 60' on Nitto 555Rs. It's heavy (4000 lbs + driver) and peak torque occurs at very low RPM and falls off from there. Peak hp is around 330-350 at the wheels through a cheap, unlocked converter. He wants a one of the 5-clutch-disc Vigilante converters, but the guy that built the trans doesn't think it'll hold together with all of that power.
Thanks for the info. I'm jealous!

They were playing games with power back then. The Stage 1 only had 10 more gross hp than the base GS 455. But the difference in net was probably more like 50. 12.4 seems like a really good time for 350 whp + 4000 pounds. He obviously knows what he's doing on the strip.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by teal98
12.4 seems like a really good time for 350 whp + 4000 pounds. He obviously knows what he's doing on the strip.
I'm guessing on the horsepower... he got 300whp on a dynojet two years ago (different carb, different fuel system setup, different air intake setup). Maybe it's quite a bit more than I thought?

But yeah, he's a good racer. The car isn't very consistent yet (I've only seen that 12.4 once), but he's the kind of guy that just tinkers around until it starts working right.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:34 PM

whoah. This is the baddest picture I've seen of this car.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I just think it seems like people who get to drive truly fast cars all the time wouldn't be so enamored with 266 lb-ft.
With only a couple of exceptions, owned nothing but fast cars for over 25 years. While 266 lbs/ft doesn't sound impressive next to an LS3, depending on what it's moving & how it's geared, it's actually is nothing to sneeze at.

The V6 in the 2010 Camaro has only 7 ft/lbs more. Yet it's able to run with the 325 lbs/ft of the LT1 Camaro.... despite it being roughly 200 pounds lighter!
Old 01-08-2009, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever

that does look bitchin but that droop in the rear widow still looks awful.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
The Genisis V6 should start well below $30K.

Even if it did cost $30K, it doesn't go up against the Camaro SS, or even the cheaper Mustang GT any more than it will go up against a Dodge Challenger R/T. The buyers of these cars (including the G37) quite frankly are not intrested in rip-roaring, hairy-fisted, high-powered V8 engines. Period.

What they are intrested in is sophistication. The want a comfortable, stylish car that gets good fuel economy, has lots of do-dads, and is fast but not scary.

That is why I feel the V6 Camaro is by far the bigger news, the best competitor, and potentially the savior of the Camaro name way over anything the V8 SS will ever be able to do.

The new Camaro has a highly sophisticated V6 that not only gets amazing power but also gets stunning fuel economy, plus a modern (and by all accounts, smooth shifting) 6 speed manual, and advanced IRS. Then in LT form, there is alot of equptment.

From a pricing standpoint, a well equpted Camaro RS is a far greater value than a base G37 despite pricing being similar.

The action (and survival) is with V6 sports coupes now.

Think of the V8 Camaro SS as a sort of Lexus IS-f or better, a BMW M3. The SS is a high performance track car that gets the press and sets the tone, but it's really a modestly low production car for hard core enthusiasts since the V6 car is so good, it stands on it's own... and generates sales.

Originally Posted by Z284ever

THIS is why I feel this car is going to sell alot, mostly to young drivers.... Hell, that picture alone almost changes my "Ho-Hum" opinion of that car!

Once the aftermarket kicks in (both in appearence and in kicking up the power of that turbo 4) we're going to see these things everywhere.

The economy may be in the tank, and hybrids may be getting all the press, but at least there is no doubt that we're in for some exytremely interesting times on the sports coupe & performance car front.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:39 PM

It doesn't look terrible.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Think of the V8 Camaro SS as a sort of Lexus IS-f or better, a BMW M3. The SS is a high performance track car that gets the press and sets the tone, but it's really a modestly low production car for hard core enthusiasts since the V6 car is so good, it stands on it's own... and generates sales.
Wheels and Automobile both compared the Commodore SS/G8 GT with the BMW 550i. It'd be interesting to see a comparison with the 650i and the Camaro. Once people get past their misconceptions, I'll bet the Camaro will do pretty well, though I'd expect they'd prefer the 650i in the end, just as Automobile preferred the 550i. But then there'd be the price delta.

Quick Reply: Genesis coupe first drive.