Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

First Drive: The 2011 Chevy Caprice PPV - and some interesting info on the Tahoe PPV

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:08 PM

Re: First Drive: The 2011 Chevy Caprice PPV - and some interesting info on the Tahoe

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Sorry, but I wouldn't want to see a Tahoe at 140 MPH. In fact, if I was an officer the last thing I would want as a pursuit vehicle is a full-size SUV. I understand the other advantages but in situations where speed and handling is at a premium, no thanks.
I can't disagree with this...
Old 12-15-2010, 08:26 PM

Re: First Drive: The 2011 Chevy Caprice PPV - and some interesting info on the Tahoe

Another thing that is a huge help on 2wd GM trucks is the G80 locking differential. If you have a G80 and a good set of tires you won't need 4x4 for 99% of winter driving.

I had the G80 on both my trucks and I was amazed at how well they did in the snow in 2wd. G80 is standard on all Z71 trucks and should be standard on all 2wd.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Whimp! Tahoes handle a lot better than you think.
Better than a Crown Vic or similar sedan at high speeds? I think not.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:11 AM

Better than a Crown Vic or similar sedan at high speeds? I think not.
FWIW, I had the use of my mother-in-law's Buick Park Avenue for the past 6 months and I can honestly say my 2WD Tahoe out handles it. The Buick seems to "float" around turns, whereas the Tahoe is tight. I'd imagine a Police spec Crown Vic is much tighter than the Buick and handles better, but then I'd also imagine a Police spec Tahoe handles better than my bone stock Tahoe LS.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:18 AM

Now there is an interesting thought. Although I bet your Tahoe may feel a little stiffer than the Buick, there is no way I would take one for handling. Especially considering it would be nearly impossible to roll the Buick and the Tahoe would just require a little too much steering input.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
FWIW, I had the use of my mother-in-law's Buick Park Avenue for the past 6 months and I can honestly say my 2WD Tahoe out handles it. The Buick seems to "float" around turns, whereas the Tahoe is tight. I'd imagine a Police spec Crown Vic is much tighter than the Buick and handles better, but then I'd also imagine a Police spec Tahoe handles better than my bone stock Tahoe LS.
C'mon, it's simple physics. The Tahoe naturally gets high marks from LEOs for its interior room, ergonomics and communications packaging. But in almost every performance metric it falls well short. Review the Michigan State Police testing.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...6274--,00.html

Tahoe is the slowest around the track (which according to the MSP is supposed to replicate typical police manuevers at speed), brakes among the worst, uses the most fuel and while they don't give a recommended bid figure for any of the cars it probably costs taxpayers the most (although I'm sure the Hemi Charger is right up there).

What is eye-opening about the test is how the ancient Crown Vic has really been left to rot by Ford - it is being outperformed in many tests by the W-body Impala for crying out loud...
Old 12-16-2010, 12:52 PM

Sorry, but I wouldn't want to see a Tahoe at 140 MPH. In fact, if I was an officer the last thing I would want as a pursuit vehicle is a full-size SUV. I understand the other advantages but in situations where speed and handling is at a premium, no thanks.
Well, you're in luck, they said it only goes up to 139.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:50 PM

Actually the Tahoe PPV is a impressive performer. It actually out accelerates the Crown Vic, and as speed increases the Tahoe pulls away, at 100 mph there is almost a 3 second difference. The brakes are great too, and it out brakes the Crown Vic by a few inches according the MSP tests, look at the weight difference in those two vehicles.

The Tahoe comes up short on the tight and twisty road course, just to much bulk to get around the curves. A Tahoe PPV with the 6.0L V8 would be interesting to see how it performs. I'd say the extra grunt from a 6.0L V8 would get it around the road course faster than a Crown Vic. Out on the interstate the Tahoe PPV is rock solid at triple digit speeds.

Talking about Impressive performer, I just got back from spending time behind the wheel of the Caprice PPV today. That car is Impressive, the handling is out of this world. The car has a nearly perfect 50/50 weight distribution.

I was talking to one of the GM techs/test driver and former race car driver, he told me before being assigned to the Caprice PPV program he spent countless laps with the Camaro SS development team fine tuning the handling for the Camaro SS. To quote him "the Caprice PPV will flat out-handle the Camaro SS". I was really surprised and doubted him then he took me for a few hot laps around the road course, and I thought I was a good driver....... He on the other hand was at a whole different level. Now I never have had any hot laps with the Camaro SS so I couldn't do a direct compare, but I don't have any reason to doubt him. I have spent time with the Police Charger and its quite clear to me how the Caprice came out on top at MSP testing this year. GM really needs fast track a retail version of this car and call it Impala SS. I'll post some pics. tomorrow.

Last edited by 30thZ286speed; 12-16-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
Actually the Tahoe PPV is a impressive performer. It actually out accelerates the Crown Vic, and as speed increases the Tahoe pulls away, at 100 mph there is almost a 3 second difference. The brakes are great too, and it out brakes the Crown Vic by a few inches according the MSP tests, look at the weight difference in those two vehicles.
Which is why I added my blurb about the Vic. It has so dominated the Police market, Ford hasn't dropped a nickle into it. You say throw the 6.0 in the Tahoe and it may outperform the Vic on the road course - but man, if Ford would have upgraded the brakes and ditched the wheezy 4.6 like they should have done years ago, at least for the Mustang's 300 HP 4.6, it wouldn't be a contest....

I was talking to one of the GM techs/test driver and former race car driver, he told me before being assigned to the Caprice PPV program he spent countless laps with the Camaro SS development team fine tuning the handling for the Camaro SS. To quote him "the Caprice PPV will flat out-handle the Camaro SS".
Is that a good reflection on the Caprice or a bad reflection on Camaro?

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 12-17-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:09 AM

Is that a good reflection on the Caprice or a bad reflection on Camaro?
Could be interpreted both ways.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:29 AM

I wouldn't want to be in a Tahoe at 140mph, imagine going over an imperfect road surface with that live rear axle and high center of gravity, you be rolling! One wrong tug of the steering wheel and your dead. 140 is scary on most American roads in a car unless they are glass smooth.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Another thing that is a huge help on 2wd GM trucks is the G80 locking differential. If you have a G80 and a good set of tires you won't need 4x4 for 99% of winter driving.

I had the G80 on both my trucks and I was amazed at how well they did in the snow in 2wd. G80 is standard on all Z71 trucks and should be standard on all 2wd.
I'll take it a step farther; it should be standard on ALL trucks, period.

How lame is it to come across a non-Z71 4x4 and have to wonder if it has a freaking locking rear diff? With open diffs, a 4x4 is practically a 2wd (one up front, one in the back).

The G80 automatic locker should be standard, and it would be really cool if they offered a manual lock option for the fronts like the Hummer H2 had (though I can see limiting that to Z71s or whatever).
Old 12-17-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
I was talking to one of the GM techs/test driver and former race car driver, he told me before being assigned to the Caprice PPV program he spent countless laps with the Camaro SS development team fine tuning the handling for the Camaro SS. To quote him "the Caprice PPV will flat out-handle the Camaro SS". I was really surprised and doubted him then he took me for a few hot laps around the road course, and I thought I was a good driver....... He on the other hand was at a whole different level. Now I never have had any hot laps with the Camaro SS so I couldn't do a direct compare, but I don't have any reason to doubt him.

I'd be interested to know why that is.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I'd be interested to know why that is.
Magic?
Old 12-17-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
I'll take it a step farther; it should be standard on ALL trucks, period.

How lame is it to come across a non-Z71 4x4 and have to wonder if it has a freaking locking rear diff? With open diffs, a 4x4 is practically a 2wd (one up front, one in the back).

The G80 automatic locker should be standard, and it would be really cool if they offered a manual lock option for the fronts like the Hummer H2 had (though I can see limiting that to Z71s or whatever).
I agree, but it's an option on dodges also... My friend has a 2004ish Cummins Ram, and it has a open rear diff

Quick Reply: First Drive: The 2011 Chevy Caprice PPV - and some interesting info on the Tahoe PPV