Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

First Drive: The 2011 Chevy Caprice PPV - and some interesting info on the Tahoe PPV

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:17 AM

First Drive: The 2011 Chevy Caprice PPV - and some interesting info on the Tahoe PPV

http://www.hendonpub.com/publication...tured+Articles

True “Large” Police Car

At 112 cubic feet, the Caprice PPV has a much larger interior than even the full-size 107.5 cf of the Ford CVPI. The amount of front seat hip room, critical for duty-belted officers, is the same for the Caprice as the Ford CVPI. The new Caprice has police-specific seats, which have been under development longer than the police package for the Caprice! The 17.4 cf Caprice trunk is a bit smaller than the 20.6 cf CVPI trunk. However, the Caprice’s full-size spare is below a flat load floor.

The 2011 model year will be a short one for the Caprice PPV. The 2011 Caprice PPV will come in two versions: the police package 9C1 and the detective retailappearing 9C3. Delivery of the detective Caprice 9C3 will be around April 2011, while the police patrol version Caprice 9C1 will be available around June 2011.

For 2011, the Caprice PPV will be powered by a 355 hp, 6.0L V8. This will have Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and be E85 FlexFuel compatible. For 2012, the Caprice PPV will come standard with the 3.6L “direct injection” V6 used in the Camaro and Cadillac CTS. The 6.0L V8 will be an option in 2012.

GM will continue to produce the current police Impala “for several years.” It will remain a V6-powered FWD sedan and the police vehicle with lowest initial cost available. GM will also continue to produce the current Tahoe indefinitely. It is scheduled to be restyled “in a few years.”

With the duty cycle properly extended to 150K miles and the current residual values, the Tahoe PPV has the lowest total lifecycle cost of any police package vehicle. The Tahoe remains a body-on-truck-chassis, full-size SUV powered by the 320 hp, 5.3L V8. The Tahoe comes as a police package 2WD and as a non-pursuit, special service package 4x4.
I guess that explains why NY State Police are going to almost all Tahoe now. I got a lot near my work in Albany where they store brand new police vehicles and it is currently full of 2WD Tahoes.

Caprices sounds great. I expect this car to take to a lot of sales away from Ford.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:58 PM

Re: First Drive: The 2011 Chevy Caprice PPV - and some interesting info on the Tahoe

What the hell is the point of having a 2WD Tahoe in NY where snow is very common? I don't even know how the police get around in their Crown Vics and Chargers.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:18 PM

Re: First Drive: The 2011 Chevy Caprice PPV - and some interesting info on the Tahoe

The 2WD Tahoe is pursuit rated, capable of maintaining something like 126 MPH- handles pretty good for a big truck. Large, roomy, quiet, safe. Everything you want in a work vehicle. The 4WD is more capable off-road, but not pursuit-rated. Perfect of border patrols, environmental police, etc.

Ever drive one? Pretty eye-opening.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:34 PM

I am sure they are great vehicles in the rain and dry conditions. I am just curious as to what they do with them with any significant snowfall. A 2WD front heavy truck just doesn't seem like a good idea.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
What the hell is the point of having a 2WD Tahoe in NY where snow is very common? I don't even know how the police get around in their Crown Vics and Chargers.
We don't get as much snow in the Hudson Valley or downstate as Western NY and the Adirondacks get.

I see a lot of 2WD Tahoes. They can't be any worse in the snow than any other 2WD car.

2WD have black wheels, while the 4x4 has Silver.

Last edited by Z28x; 12-15-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Admin Emeritus

I am starting to like reading stuff like this more and more

I want to know how I can get my hands on a retired 4wd Tahoe that isn't completely used up. Anyone know?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:59 PM

I'd love a 2WD Tahoe PPV.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:27 PM

The Tahoe PPV top speed has been raised for 2011 to 139 mph!
Old 12-15-2010, 02:47 PM

I am sure they are great vehicles in the rain and dry conditions. I am just curious as to what they do with them with any significant snowfall. A 2WD front heavy truck just doesn't seem like a good idea.
My 1st vehicle was a eye melting yellow 1973 Ford F100 Ranger with a 390 2 barrel carb... and 2 wheel drive.

I lived in the hilly suburbs of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, and drove in, through, and around them.

I drove that truck all winter the last year I was in High School.

It was 2 wheel drive.

It's pretty funny to hear people nowadays worry and wonder in utter and stupendous amazement that anything that isn't front wheel drive, 4 wheel drive, or AWD can actually do anything in the snow outside of get buried by it.

Get real guys... I was a 17 year old, and I got around in the heavy stuff with no problem.

Guess what else? My mom used to drive in the stuff annually before she had a stroke last year in her RWD cars.

My baby sister (though nowhere near a baby anymore) drove in the stuff in highschool and in college over in Indiana Pa.

How, you may ask???

It's a miracle of modern engineering that ranks up there with nuclear physics and "Quatium Mathmathics" that's called....... "A pair of snow tires" and the amazing feat and lost art that very few people today actually possess that's called......."Knowing how to actually drive"!!!!

GEEE!!!....we have become a bunch of driving whusses the past 20-30 years, haven't we?

Hell... My '97 Z28 had traction control...... and I drove it to and then around Reno..... in the snow.... with all season tires.

Pansy.

Last edited by guionM; 12-15-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
The Tahoe PPV top speed has been raised for 2011 to 139 mph!
Sorry, but I wouldn't want to see a Tahoe at 140 MPH. In fact, if I was an officer the last thing I would want as a pursuit vehicle is a full-size SUV. I understand the other advantages but in situations where speed and handling is at a premium, no thanks.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
GEEE!!!....we have become a bunch of driving whusses the past 20-30 years, haven't we?

Hell... My '97 Z28 had traction control...... and I drove it to and then around Reno..... in the snow.... with all season tires.

Pansy.
Agreed. I had a 1986 Olds Cutlass through hisg school and college with 65% of the weight up front (snow tires and good decision making). Got around ok. I have driven my '99 SS with Michelin XGT Z4's in the snow. Sucked, but I managed. I have no desire to try the '99 in the snow now with all the ods and drag radials.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:10 PM

My 1st vehicle was a eye melting yellow 1973 Ford F100 Ranger with a 390 2 barrel carb... and 2 wheel drive.

I lived in the hilly suburbs of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, and drove in, through, and around them.

I drove that truck all winter the last year I was in High School.

It was 2 wheel drive.

It's pretty funny to hear people nowadays worry and wonder in utter and stupendous amazement that anything that isn't front wheel drive, 4 wheel drive, or AWD can actually do anything in the snow outside of get buried by it.

Get real guys... I was a 17 year old, and I got around in the heavy stuff with no problem.

Guess what else? My mom used to drive in the stuff annually before she had a stroke last year in her RWD cars.

My baby sister (though nowhere near a baby anymore) drove in the stuff in highschool and in college over in Indiana Pa.

How, you may ask???

It's a miracle of modern engineering that ranks up there with nuclear physics and "Quatium Mathmathics" that's called....... "A pair of snow tires" and the amazing feat and lost art that very few people today actually possess that's called......."Knowing how to actually drive"!!!!

Pansy.
Don't make assumptions. I drive my 2005 GTO year round and I have no problems. I actually prefer a RWD drive car in the snow. However, in the snow we got here last year that was record breaking, 2WD vehicles were pretty much crippled for days, with or without snow tires. The police cars could NOT get to where they needed to go and could only stay on the main highways since they were plowed. They had a fleet of 4WD trucks that was stressed to the max, and they could only respond to the most severe emergencies. Even ambulances and fire trucks couldn't get to houses and asked people to walk to the end of their roads to the nearest plowed road if possible. Thankfully, I was able to get around when needed by borrowing my father's 1998 Ford Expedition with 4WD. We even had to get some groceries for the neighbors whose vehicles could not get out.

And for the record, my GTO has snow tires on it right now. Pansy.

Last edited by Slappy3243; 12-15-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:14 PM

Most of these units are for State Troopers doing highway patrol - for them, they're on major highways 99% of the time, and those are often plowed pretty regularly.

That said, they do teach cops how to drive at the academy. Also, if you spent all day every day in a car (including all winter), you'd get pretty good at it if you wanted to.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Sorry, but I wouldn't want to see a Tahoe at 140 MPH. In fact, if I was an officer the last thing I would want as a pursuit vehicle is a full-size SUV. I understand the other advantages but in situations where speed and handling is at a premium, no thanks.
Whimp! Tahoes handle a lot better than you think.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:25 PM

How, you may ask???

Pansy.
Agree completely, I drove both an Impala (as a teen who drove too fast for his own good) and a Monte SS with no more than (not necessarily fresh) all-seasons and 50lb of traction sand over the wheels. Nothing like RWD in the snow - giving a shot to the gas and a twist o' the wheel to bring the rear around. Fishtailing was so easy - got stuck just as much in FWD cars. I find RWD much more predictable in the snow and ice - and much more fun.

Quick Reply: First Drive: The 2011 Chevy Caprice PPV - and some interesting info on the Tahoe PPV