Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles
View Poll Results: will there ever be a new camaro?
yes
70.18%
no
29.82%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

do you believe there will be a 5th generation camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 09:59 AM

Re: do you believe there will be a 5th generation camaro?

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
I must've missed the GM press release saying the GTO is dead after next year. :blah: I don't see why GTO couldn't soldier on as an Aussie-built model until GM NA gets their act together. I also must've missed any official Camaro news whatsoever from GM.

I trust some of the insiders on this board, but don't you get the feeling that even they can't really be sure how this is all going to shake out?

Yeah some of the big connected guys have confirmed this. Evok over on C&G and I think Guion has also. Nothing's GM official(is it ever?) but when the zeta got axed, so did the zeta GTO.

There is no news on Camaro. Forget about official. The sheer chaos over GM and a lack of info should be an indicator that there's no Camaro. The thread's title is will there EVER be a new Camaro. I'd bet there will be. In the next 5 years? Nope.

I think things are starting dawn on a lot of people from the insiders to all us normal enthusiasts that GM has big problems and that little problems like no Camaro aren't even on the radar screen in Flint. No, the next gen truck line will decide GM's future.

So.. it just looks pretty bad after next year for GM performance.
You'll have CobaltSS/Ion Redlines and Solstice/Sky at the low end. ~$20K
Corvette ~$45K
Caddy V series stuff ~$50K+
Z06 ~$65K
And the SS truck line.

Same thing I said over a year ago before the GTO showed up, there's no affordable GM performance left for the average working stiff.

Last edited by BigBlueCruiser; 03-28-2005 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:58 AM

I don't think I've seen guionM "officially" state the GTO is dead, but anyway....

Even with no Camaro, GM's performance lineup looks decent, and the low-dollar products you mentioned (Kappa cars, Cobalt SS) look to be world-class. Again, across the range I'd put these options up against what is available from Ford....looks like you'll be able to buy performance from Ford as long as it's some kind of Mustang. No thanks.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kris93/95Z28
It isn't like GM is ever on time to the party.
For instance the number one example of this was the Silverado SS.
The Silverado SS came to the market 5 years after the Lightning, and was still inferior? "Better Late?" They should have stayed home
I guess ford didn't think it was so inferior, as they are now pushing an AWD concept, ala Silverado SS. Adrenalin or something like that I think its called!

Last edited by SCNGENNFTHGEN; 03-29-2005 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by D80
I understand the frustration here. But, do not assume that GM does not have the ability to get out all of the toys you have been discussing, and to get them out on time. There have been answers to everything that the competition could dream up. And a load of toys the competition could never dream of that would put their hardware on the trailer. GM engineering has the talent, the hardware and sure as heck has the know-how. But the final approval for any of these nasty creations comes from folks with a completely different mindset. Emphasis on different. And there friends is where the "flow restriction" is located.
Good post dude ! I agree !
Old 03-28-2005, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
I don't think I've seen guionM "officially" state the GTO is dead, but anyway....

Even with no Camaro, GM's performance lineup looks decent, and the low-dollar products you mentioned (Kappa cars, Cobalt SS) look to be world-class. Again, across the range I'd put these options up against what is available from Ford....looks like you'll be able to buy performance from Ford as long as it's some kind of Mustang. No thanks.
Another good post! Oh, and let me just say, I'll buy a mustang........, Ahem......, Just as soon as someone pries my cold dead hands off of my T56 shiftknob,...NOT! The Cobalt SS might not be for us F-body guys, but you have to admit, its a pretty serious blow to a market that was ignored before. P.S. Give the um new "sportbike", some Baer brakes or something that would be Killer!
Old 03-28-2005, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by D80
I understand the frustration here. But, do not assume that GM does not have the ability to get out all of the toys you have been discussing, and to get them out on time. There have been answers to everything that the competition could dream up. And a load of toys the competition could never dream of that would put their hardware on the trailer. GM engineering has the talent, the hardware and sure as heck has the know-how. But the final approval for any of these nasty creations comes from folks with a completely different mindset. Emphasis on different. And there friends is where the "flow restriction" is located.
I think we have a new insider here. Not only that but one IN the belly of the beast, whose identity may not be known.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
I think we have a new insider here. Not only that but one IN the belly of the beast, whose identity may not be known.
Could very well be! We can use all the insiders we can get. Wasn't D80 the spoiler option in 69?
Old 03-29-2005, 06:57 AM

http://motortrend.com/features/news/112_news003/

Morrissey said GM will look at the best way to add rear-wheel-drive cars in North America. A rear-wheel-drive platform is important because it offers the option of all-wheel-drive, which is proving popular in passenger cars. He also didn't rule out Velite and GTO being built off another GM platform.
We can let the fat lady sing for Zeta, but please do not jump to conclusions and say "GM will never make another RWD/AWD car".

Some observers suggest GM scrapped what was to be a low-volume Zeta lineup to turn to a platform that could accommodate higher-volume cars, crossovers and SUVs in rear- and all-wheel-drive.
Maybe they're taking the Nissan approach. Look how well Nissan has done.

I have no doubt that there will be a 5th-gen Camaro...maybe not now, but in a few years, I think we'll have one. Consider the story of the Monte Carlo...a successful coupe for GM back in the 80s, but they cancelled it in 1989. 7 years later, the Monte Carlo comes back, on a completely different platform with a completely different design.

I think the same will happen for the Camaro..no matter how long it takes.

And the GTO will not be dead...
Old 03-29-2005, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by SCNGENNFTHGEN
I guess ford didn't think it was so inferior, as they are now pushing an AWD concept, ala Silverado SS. Adrenalin or something like that I think its called!
Can you honestly say you'd take a Silverado SS over a 99+ L?
If I have to wait 5 years for a product: it better completly destroy the field of competitors in the market its in. The SRT-10 Ram came to the market as something worth the wait, Silverado SS... Not so much.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:48 AM

Can you honestly say you'd take a Silverado SS over a 99+ L?
If I have to wait 5 years for a product: it better completly destroy the field of competitors in the market its in. The SRT-10 Ram came to the market as something worth the wait, Silverado SS... Not so much.
I will admit they mist the boat here, they should have put out a reg.cab SS( Lightning killer) to go head to head with the lightning, and certainly they could have easily made more power out of the LSx, without any SCer(01 Z06 made that without it & 02 was 405hp N/A) than the weak 385. Yeah, I said weak, cuz for being Supercharged I thought it was. And the AWD SS was not even in the same class, so someone else classified it as inferior. Apples and Oranges. Point is now Ford has a similar concept, in that class. And no I wouldn't take a 99 or any yr. Lightning, I thought they were weak and am working on my own lightning killer. Seriously though I never liked the styling, they looked like someone took a truck and melted it, or like a droopy dog. If you like them, great buy 1, I don't. I don't mind SCer's I actually like them when done right (I hate turbos), I didn't think 385 was done right. PPl make alot more with an LT1 or LS1 and a Procharger, or stroker crank so that is what I based my opinion on. I wasn't going to knock it (Silverado SS) cuz it was not what I wanted. The SSR & GTO are suffering from that and its a shame. SRT10 is pretty serious, I'm not gonna knock the power it makes, just not a big fan of the heavy V10. It was cool for a while. What is it 500HP, now the next Z06 will be makin' that much with just a V8. And its alot lighter than a V10 to boot. I do believe GM has, and has always had the best powertrains in the business. No one here, or in any trash ragzines will convince me otherwise. With all the power the LSx can make, and atleast in the C5 was considered a LEV (Low Emissions Vehicles), I mean come on, is it any wonder all the other engines from "Across Town" are starting to look strikingly familiar. This is why I buy GM exclusively, and don't read crappy A** trash that comes from a country that hates our country, and our companies. I do agree it, better destroy the competition or there'll be alot of pissed off f-body fans. Camaro must be as it was in 67 better in every way.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by SCNGENNFTHGEN
I will admit they mist the boat here, they should have put out a reg.cab SS( Lightning killer) to go head to head with the lightning, and certainly they could have easily made more power out of the LSx, without any SCer(01 Z06 made that without it & 02 was 405hp N/A) than the weak 385. Yeah, I said weak, cuz for being Supercharged I thought it was. And the AWD SS was not even in the same class, so someone else classified it as inferior. Apples and Oranges. Point is now Ford has a similar concept, in that class. And no I wouldn't take a 99 or any yr. Lightning, I thought they were weak and am working on my own lightning killer.
Fair enough. I still think you're missing an essential part of what makes the Lightning special: it isn't the factory rating that makes the truck my choice in the field... Since its blown, Just like the 03 ~ 04 Cobra, it isn't rocket science to make BIG Power with these trucks. Simple bolt ons: Blower pulley, Intake, Full Exhaust & a Tune and you're really rocking! Like the 03+ Cobra, it isn't hard to be making 500+ horsepower. Unless you got an SS and strapped a bottle on, I don't think you could make more power with less money invested. Just like an LTx/LSx engine, it isn't the power that the engine left the factory with, it the power potential the motor posseses. The L is down right easy to waste a weekend, and pump out 125+ more RWHP.

Last edited by Kris93/95Z28; 03-31-2005 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:31 PM

Fair enough. I still think you're missing an essential part of what makes the Lightning special: it isn't the factory rating that makes the truck my choice in the field... Since its blown, Just like the 03 ~ 04 Cobra, it isn't rocket science to make BIG Power with these trucks. Simple bolt ons: Blower pulley, Intake, Full Exhaust & a Tune and you're really rocking! Like the 03+ Cobra, it isn't hard to be making 500+ horsepower. Unless you got an SS and strapped a bottle on, I don't think you could make more power with less money invested. Just like an LTx/LSx engine, it isn't the power that the engine left the factory with, it the power potential the motor posseses. The L is down right easy to waste a weekend, and pump out 125+ more RWHP.
I get why they are special to those who have them. I'm not missing it, I'm just saying I don't like the looks of them. I have my own Lightning (Buell X1 Lightning). That is the only Lightning for me. I'm not saying you, or anybody else shouldn't like them. I'm fine with that. But the Silverado SS was not meant to be a Lightning fighter, yet everyone put it in that class. You can get a SCed Silverado's from certain dealers if thats what you want it for. Look its no secret I am a brand loyal GM guy I don't buy Fords. I am workin through my Ford, Mopar bashing stage, its a process. I now have bigger fish to fry. I would like the big 3 back at the top . I am for the failure of any car companies coming from countries that are not our friends. I would like too see Benz go back where they came from, know what I mean. This is why I have even lightened up on Japan. car co.(nissan not included) , as they( Japan) seem to be our friends. Unlike some other countries who are not, and never were, contrary to popular belief. By the way nice color choice on the Goat silver looks awsome. I'm runnin' the Z06 rims on my Z too, they look sweet! Does anyone make them in 17X11 like the old ZR1's? I can't find any.