Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles
View Poll Results: will there ever be a new camaro?
yes
70.18%
no
29.82%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

do you believe there will be a 5th generation camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 08:34 PM
D80

Re: do you believe there will be a 5th generation camaro?

I understand the frustration here. But, do not assume that GM does not have the ability to get out all of the toys you have been discussing, and to get them out on time. There have been answers to everything that the competition could dream up. And a load of toys the competition could never dream of that would put their hardware on the trailer. GM engineering has the talent, the hardware and sure as heck has the know-how. But the final approval for any of these nasty creations comes from folks with a completely different mindset. Emphasis on different. And there friends is where the "flow restriction" is located.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:00 PM

I have NO DOUBT they can get the physical product done and to market quickly, it's the other baggage and legalities, red-tape and share holders etc that are the problem.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:50 AM

Actually... GM has a 400hp 4 seat coupe, a 400hp 2 seat coupe and vert on the market today , and has a 500hp 2 seat coupe coming by the end of the year....
Fair, they have some interesting vehicles. But, a GTO is not an F Body, and to be totally honest it does not compare to the GT500. 17" wheels/tires vs 19" wheels/tires, 400 hp vs 450+, etc. I really don't want one. For you I'm sure it is a great car.

Vette's really don't interest me, and a Z06 is a tad bit more than 40K. You can't even get into a base C6 for 40K.

[/QUOTE]Funny how 450+ hp quickly turns into almost 500 hp. BTW, GM already has a 500 hp car coming to market. It's called the Corvette Z06, maybe you've heard of it? I know Ford certainly has.

Look, the point is this... this website is CamaroZ28.com and the forums are CamaroSS.com. It is not GMPerformance.com, or RWDV8AmericanPerformance.com, this is a CAMARO website. This has always been the 5th generation forum. When it looked bleek that Camaro would never return, it became the Future vehicles forum, but later 5th generation was added after complaints by members and the faintest of rumors that Camaro may someday return.

The big reason RedPlanet doesn't post here is all the negative and childish BS that is posted around here. Reality time kiddies, there are forces within GM that want Camaro to return just as bad as we do. They however have to get it past the beancounters first and with GM's currenty financial situation, that isn't going to be easy, and based on GM's history of a snail's pace in getting product to market, it won't be soon.

Am I pissed there is no Camaro in GM's current line-up? Hell ya I'm pissed, however I'm also old enough and mature enough to know that bitching about it like some spoiled teenager isn't going to help get the job done any quicker. If this forum and website is going to become a champion at influencing GM to speed up the return of our beloved Camaro, we need to band together to support its return, and not bitch and complain about every little piece of bogus news that comes out. We need to not chastize the insiders who bring us tidbits of information, but instead take each bit of information and mold it into a possible positive outcome. I'm sure there are GM bashing websites out there if all people really want to do is blast GM for everything they do. Heck start at the Ford websites, about all they really do is talk about how Camaro is no longer in production. (Seriously, its quite sad IMO, as they have a pretty awesome ponycar to be proud of.)

Jake, please don't take this as being completely addressed at you. It's just that I'm fed up, and all this anti-Camaro bs is getting stale.

If folks really don't care about Camaro returning, if they hate GM and all they want to do is bitch and complain, they should leave. Complaining is ok, but everyone needs to be positive at some point.

Oh, yeah, and btw... Camaro is going to return.

And for the one trillionth time... have faith.

P.S. FWIW No real Camaro enthusiast really wanted a Zeta Camaro anyway. We were just seduced into the idea because it sounded like GM could bring it to market faster than anything else out there. Thank goodness they couldn't make Zeta work.[/QUOTE]

I understand your point about the negativity. I can assure you, I want a 5th gen just as much as anyone. The ONLY vehicles I have ever owned have been F Bodies. Why would I want to change now?

All I am saying is this. One side has a car currently on the market. The other side has people, who may or may not have relaible sources saying "Keep the faith".

Oh, and I take NOTHING personal online.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:24 AM

Will there be another Camaro ever? In my opinion, for SURE. The Camaro has too much GM heritage in it, and still sparks emotion in the marketplace, and always will. It may not be soon, but it will happen.

Dan
Old 03-26-2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by jakef2003
Fair, they have some interesting vehicles. But, a GTO is not an F Body, and to be totally honest it does not compare to the GT500. 17" wheels/tires vs 19" wheels/tires, 400 hp vs 450+, etc. I really don't want one. For you I'm sure it is a great car.

Vette's really don't interest me, and a Z06 is a tad bit more than 40K. You can't even get into a base C6 for 40K.
Funny how 450+ hp quickly turns into almost 500 hp. BTW, GM already has a 500 hp car coming to market. It's called the Corvette Z06, maybe you've heard of it? I know Ford certainly has.

Look, the point is this... this website is CamaroZ28.com and the forums are CamaroSS.com. It is not GMPerformance.com, or RWDV8AmericanPerformance.com, this is a CAMARO website. This has always been the 5th generation forum. When it looked bleek that Camaro would never return, it became the Future vehicles forum, but later 5th generation was added after complaints by members and the faintest of rumors that Camaro may someday return.

The big reason RedPlanet doesn't post here is all the negative and childish BS that is posted around here. Reality time kiddies, there are forces within GM that want Camaro to return just as bad as we do. They however have to get it past the beancounters first and with GM's currenty financial situation, that isn't going to be easy, and based on GM's history of a snail's pace in getting product to market, it won't be soon.

Am I pissed there is no Camaro in GM's current line-up? Hell ya I'm pissed, however I'm also old enough and mature enough to know that bitching about it like some spoiled teenager isn't going to help get the job done any quicker. If this forum and website is going to become a champion at influencing GM to speed up the return of our beloved Camaro, we need to band together to support its return, and not bitch and complain about every little piece of bogus news that comes out. We need to not chastize the insiders who bring us tidbits of information, but instead take each bit of information and mold it into a possible positive outcome. I'm sure there are GM bashing websites out there if all people really want to do is blast GM for everything they do. Heck start at the Ford websites, about all they really do is talk about how Camaro is no longer in production. (Seriously, its quite sad IMO, as they have a pretty awesome ponycar to be proud of.)

Jake, please don't take this as being completely addressed at you. It's just that I'm fed up, and all this anti-Camaro bs is getting stale.

If folks really don't care about Camaro returning, if they hate GM and all they want to do is bitch and complain, they should leave. Complaining is ok, but everyone needs to be positive at some point.

Oh, yeah, and btw... Camaro is going to return.

And for the one trillionth time... have faith.

P.S. FWIW No real Camaro enthusiast really wanted a Zeta Camaro anyway. We were just seduced into the idea because it sounded like GM could bring it to market faster than anything else out there. Thank goodness they couldn't make Zeta work.[/QUOTE]

I understand your point about the negativity. I can assure you, I want a 5th gen just as much as anyone. The ONLY vehicles I have ever owned have been F Bodies. Why would I want to change now?

All I am saying is this. One side has a car currently on the market. The other side has people, who may or may not have relaible sources saying "Keep the faith".

Oh, and I take NOTHING personal online. [/QUOTE]

I disagree, although the bitching does get out of hand. It does let GM and Chevrolet know that there are people that are waiting for it to return.

I don't know it hurts..
Old 03-26-2005, 10:55 AM

Yes.

But it better be damn nice, 'cause by then, a used G35 Sport Coupe rollin' some 19s will be looking VERY nice to me.

Old 03-26-2005, 11:51 AM

yes, but it will be a long time away, hopefully GM won't tank out by then
Old 03-26-2005, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by D80
I understand the frustration here. But, do not assume that GM does not have the ability to get out all of the toys you have been discussing, and to get them out on time. There have been answers to everything that the competition could dream up. And a load of toys the competition could never dream of that would put their hardware on the trailer. GM engineering has the talent, the hardware and sure as heck has the know-how. But the final approval for any of these nasty creations comes from folks with a completely different mindset. Emphasis on different. And there friends is where the "flow restriction" is located.
Well put.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:23 PM

Look. Bottom line, is you're NOT getting a Camaro for at least 5 years. You can bank on that. 2010, if you're lucky.

You got about 20 months left to buy the only AFFORDABLE V8 RWD coupe GM makes. GTO is gone after '06. Then it gets real ugly. You'll be looking at 4+ years of NO V8 RWD performance for under $45K from GM.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlueCruiser
Look. Bottom line, is you're NOT getting a Camaro for at least 5 years. You can bank on that. 2010, if you're lucky.

You got about 20 months left to buy the only AFFORDABLE V8 RWD coupe GM makes. GTO is gone after '06. Then it gets real ugly. You'll be looking at 4+ years of NO V8 RWD performance for under $45K from GM.
I'm sorry, where were you getting your information again?
Old 03-26-2005, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
I'm sorry, where were you getting your information again?

Here.

What part is news to you?

GTO is confirmed dead for N. America after 2006 when it supposed to migrate to the now extinct zeta chassis for the '07 model.

No Camaro till 2010. If they committed TODAY to make a chassis or hack up an existing chassis to mold a Camaro(which they havn't), you wouldn't get it till 2010. That's just the way things are in GM-land.

So unless you know of some other high performane rwd V8 chassis + car in the pipeline, after '06 the Vette and Caddy are it. Maybe you got $45K to drop on GM performance. I don't.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:32 PM

Here. No Camaro till 2010. If they committed TODAY to make a chassis or hack up an existing chassis to mold a Camaro(which they havn't), you wouldn't get it till 2010. That's just the way things are in GM-land.
I've been following the 5th Gen discussion for months on this board, havent posted alot, but I follow all the time. From all the evidence talked about it's a given that GM has been working on developing a Camaro since it went on hiatus. Wasn't it Dano that got to be in a clinic and drive something very Camarolike back in '04. I'm pretty confident GM has most of the design and technical issues decided for the Camaro. I don't think it's going to take 3+ years to fit a chassis to a mostly designed car, even for GM. That's pretty ludicrous.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:39 PM

Thumbs up Re: do you believe there will be a 5th generation camaro?

It's really nice to see the heavy passion some of you members display...At least lets somebody know we do CARE (whether its support or bitching, LOL).

Anyways, do I think one will eventually come out? Yes. Do I think it will be out before 2008? Highly unlikely unless GM proves us all wrong.

But while I would absolutely love to see them come out with a Rustang squasher, I honestly don't even give this whole "5th Generation" scenario much of a second thought as something that will come out several years from now really has nothing to do with what is going on right now.

Yes, GM's lineup is obviously weak (especially in the under $30,000 V8 RWD high performance coupe sector as the GTO does nothing for a lot of us; including me). But I love my 4th gens so much that I won't be losing any sleep if GM decided not to bring back a newly platformed Camaro.

Regardless, if GM is reading this, you better give us something that SCREAMS the word Camaro through a design that is the process of evolution (and NOT any retro-themed vehicle). I want to see this next Camaro as a fresh, new style that leaves you with your jaws dropped wondering how they could possibly re-invent it yet again. Besides, if I wanted a retro-styled one, I'd just buy a damn 1st gen for crying out loud. As long as it has the styling to match the 400+ LSX engine under the hood, GM will more than have my interest. $30,000 or less wouldn't hurt either...

Mike
Old 03-28-2005, 01:41 AM

After all of the shifting of platforms, I feel as though getting a Camaro to market before 2010 is an impossibility. First we thought it was going to go on sigma. Then the release date was pushed back because it was going to go on zeta. Then it was pushed back further with the Holden involvement. Now it's being pushed back again to go either on the next generation of sigma or some other rwd platform that we have no information about. After all of the shifting, I have my doubts.

And about those voting no should not be here? I voted no but I come here daily hoping to be proved wrong about my belief.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:49 AM

Here.

What part is news to you?

GTO is confirmed dead for N. America after 2006 when it supposed to migrate to the now extinct zeta chassis for the '07 model.

No Camaro till 2010.
I must've missed the GM press release saying the GTO is dead after next year. :blah: I don't see why GTO couldn't soldier on as an Aussie-built model until GM NA gets their act together. I also must've missed any official Camaro news whatsoever from GM.

I trust some of the insiders on this board, but don't you get the feeling that even they can't really be sure how this is all going to shake out?

Quick Reply: do you believe there will be a 5th generation camaro?