Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Did we miss this little nugget about the new 'Vette's weight?

Old 01-18-2013, 06:11 PM

Re: Did we miss this little nugget about the new 'Vette's weight?

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3 View Post
Remember that fancy interior everyone wants. Leather wrapped dash weighs more than chinzy plastic. Add extra airbags, added weight in the engine tech, and so forth. Compromises everywhere. Life is hard that way.
There is no dispute that weight was added to the interior. Better materials and more safety systems will add weight. But from what we've been told the C7 has had some serious weight reduction from the frame and use of composites that should offset the gains. The C7 may not weigh 3000 lbs. or match what a C6 Z06 weighs but it still should undercut the base C6.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 AM

C7 is apparently going to be *heavier*, not lighter

2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7 Stingray and Z51 First Look on Edmunds.com
>>>Despite the mass reductions above, the C7 Corvette will be heavier than the C6 due to its laundry list of new hardware and improved crashworthiness. GM was not specific about curb weight other than acknowledging that, yes, the C7's curb weight will be higher than the current car.<<<
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 PM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by JakeRobb View Post
...If you want a 30MPG V8 sports car, get a C5 M6. They were rated 29mpg highway and easily attain 30+. Plus, you can get one for WAY less than $55k.
I may actually do that. The thought has crossed my mind many times!
Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin View Post
C7 is apparently going to be *heavier*, not lighter

2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7 Stingray and Z51 First Look on Edmunds.com
>>>Despite the mass reductions above, the C7 Corvette will be heavier than the C6 due to its laundry list of new hardware and improved crashworthiness. GM was not specific about curb weight other than acknowledging that, yes, the C7's curb weight will be higher than the current car.<<<
Well that's kinda sad. My Dad knows from personal experience how strong the C6 chassis is. A 1-ton truck pulled out in front of him while he was going at least 55mph. He hit it in the axle & was able to open the door & walk away. He did end up breaking his femur lengthwise, but he was able to walk.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 PM

Actually according to the data released at the Detroit auto show - in January - the 2014 Corvette Stingray will be about 99 lbs lighter than the C6.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
I may actually do that. The thought has crossed my mind many times!

Well that's kinda sad. My Dad knows from personal experience how strong the C6 chassis is. A 1-ton truck pulled out in front of him while he was going at least 55mph. He hit it in the axle & was able to open the door & walk away. He did end up breaking his femur lengthwise, but he was able to walk.
The C7 is alot stiffer, the open roof car is 50% stiffer than the out-going Z06 with a solid roof. The weight gain sucks but it did help improve the suspension and steering as well ( IIRC the rack is solid mounted and the whole assembly is 500% stiffer) plus they did alot of work in controling unprung mass - hollow control arms and cast iron brakes with intergal aluminum hubs so even though the overall weight is up they trade off seems to be worth it in this case.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by krj-1168 View Post
Actually according to the data released at the Detroit auto show - in January - the 2014 Corvette Stingray will be about 99 lbs lighter than the C6.
I think they worded it to say that 99lbs were taken out, but they have also mentioned that other components like the engine got heavier.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by krj-1168 View Post
No, they said the bare frame/super structure weighs 99 pounds less than the C6.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:47 AM

It's wait and see mode until GM releases some more specs on the C7.