CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   Did we miss this little nugget about the new 'Vette's weight? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/did-we-miss-little-nugget-about-new-vettes-weight-871096/)

HuJass 01-06-2013 08:53 AM

Did we miss this little nugget about the new 'Vette's weight?

I was just reading an article in Detroit News about how the new Corvette will dominate the upcoming NAIAS.
I found this sentence within the article:

Thanks to broad use of carbon fiber, magnesium and aluminum, the 'Vette will weigh about 10 percent less.
I don't remember seeing that before. Have we seen this tidbit or was it just me that missed it?

What's the current 'Vette weigh?

JakeRobb 01-06-2013 02:19 PM

Re: Did we miss this little nugget about the new 'Vette's weight?

According to chevy.com, the base 2013 Coupe has a curb weight 3225 lbs. 10% less would be around 2900.

bossco 01-06-2013 07:15 PM

That would be outstanding, but at what cost? And by cost I mean $$, a sub 3000 pound Corvette is awesome, a base model vette that costs 80 or 90 grand, not so much.

King Moose SS 01-06-2013 07:23 PM

I think I can recall differing sources saying that the new C7 should weight around 3000lbs. I can't find anything from a solid source online though, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

jg95z28 01-06-2013 08:15 PM

I read an article that was speculating that the 2014 Vette would use carbon fiber, magnesium and aluminum. I have not seen anything from GM confirming this.

Injuneer 01-06-2013 10:48 PM

Not sure of the credibility of sources like Car & Driver, but their January 2013 issue indicated the target weight of 3,000# and said it would be achieved by using the Z06/ZR1 hydroformed aluminum main members (now outsourced, rather than formed in-house), carbon fiber floor and bulkhead panels, and possibly all the SMC exterior panels would be carbon fiber. They attribute the ability to extend the use of CF to the supplier's (Plasan Carbon Composites) newly implemented manufacturing processes, reducing the cost of CF components by 60%. The LT1 engine is also more compact and lighter in weight then the previous LS3.

They also claim the cost of the C7 will increase 9% - $55,000 base price.

AdioSS 01-07-2013 03:16 AM

That's a substantial loss. Combine that with the modest increase in engine output should give a drastic performance boost!

SSCamaro99_3 01-07-2013 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer (Post 6929565)
They attribute the ability to extend the use of CF to the supplier's (Plasan Carbon Composites) newly implemented manufacturing processes, reducing the cost of CF components by 60%.

That is some good news.

30thZ286speed 01-07-2013 07:26 PM

I've also heard the base Vette will use hydro-formed aluminum "frame". I was in Bowling Green last week, I noticed a lot of work going on at the Corvette factory. I kept my eyes peeled for test mules, but I had no luck. ;)

ImportedRoomate 01-08-2013 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer (Post 6929565)
The LT1 engine is also more compact and lighter in weight then the previous LS3.

The LT1 weighs more than the LS3. This is due to the direct injection components. I'm not sure how much more though.

WhiteHawk 01-08-2013 02:33 PM

I know they used a bunch of Magnesium to get the weight down on the ATS. I am sure the vette has gone that way too.

-Geoff

99SilverSS 01-08-2013 05:46 PM

As with most info on the C7... there isn't any. Seems like somewhere back the 3000 lb curb weight target hit the press and it's been circulating ever since. A lot like the 5.5L V8 that still keeps going for some reason.

If I'm reading this Detroit News article the "about 10 percent less" quote strikes me as a ballpark figure for roughly 3000 lbs. Which has been in the press for quite some time.

We'll all find out on Sun.

AdioSS 01-10-2013 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS (Post 6929727)
As with most info on the C7... there isn't any. Seems like somewhere back the 3000 lb curb weight target hit the press and it's been circulating ever since. A lot like the 5.5L V8 that still keeps going for some reason.

If I'm reading this Detroit News article the "about 10 percent less" quote strikes me as a ballpark figure for roughly 3000 lbs. Which has been in the press for quite some time.

We'll all find out on Sun.

Personally, I think there would be a market for a Corvette with only a 5.5L engine. With the 6.2 slated to make "at least 450hp" that would mean a 5.5 should easily be able to make at least 400. Combine that with the reduced weight & an 8 speed automatic & you'd have the possibility of a 30MPG V8 sports car. Personally, I would like to see this model get the adjustable suspension as standard, but have a Comfort mode that rides better than any Corvette ever. Possibly even a little bit higher off the ground & with more bling. The buyer of this car would be somebody who likes the look but isn't into extreme performance that even the current base car has.

I'm sure they will still sell every one they can build withou this, but this would be a Corvette for a wider audience.

HAZ-Matt 01-10-2013 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by AdioSS (Post 6929854)
Personally, I think there would be a market for a Corvette with only a 5.5L engine.

It could be the 912 of Corvettes. :)

First they would have to actually make a 5.5L engine. Looks like Gen V will have 5.3L and 6.2L in the trucks, so I would imagine they would do 5.3L in the Corvette if they were to downsize.

99SilverSS 01-10-2013 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by AdioSS (Post 6929854)
Personally, I think there would be a market for a Corvette with only a 5.5L engine. With the 6.2 slated to make "at least 450hp" that would mean a 5.5 should easily be able to make at least 400. Combine that with the reduced weight & an 8 speed automatic & you'd have the possibility of a 30MPG V8 sports car. Personally, I would like to see this model get the adjustable suspension as standard, but have a Comfort mode that rides better than any Corvette ever. Possibly even a little bit higher off the ground & with more bling. The buyer of this car would be somebody who likes the look but isn't into extreme performance that even the current base car has.

I'm sure they will still sell every one they can build withou this, but this would be a Corvette for a wider audience.

This to me sounds more like making a cheaper Corvette for the masses rather than a smaller displacement V8. Seems like this comes up every so often where GM realizes that the average age of a Corvette customer is in the upper 50's. Not really since the fixed roof 2000 C5 has GM tackled the Corvette for the masses idea.

I think what GM has found with a coveted brand like Corvette is that the time and expense it takes to decontent the Corvette adds more cost and development than it's worth for the potential few extra units it may sell.

Then the debate becomes what to take out out of the car. Is a cloth seat, base radio, manual only, Corvette with cheaper wheels, tires and brakes worth watering the brand down just to undercut the base price by a few thousand greenbacks.

Especially with what amounts to a cheaper, 4 seat, more user friendly Camaro already taking some Vette sales. The need just isn't there.