Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Performance Build Center to Move to Bowling Green Plant

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 01:05 AM

Performance Build Center to Move to Bowling Green Plant

This is exciting news for Kentucky and the Corvette plant. Really makes since to move this in house at the Corvette plant. Now GM can have a complete build experience.

GM Relocating Performance Build Center to Bowling Green

GM Relocating Performance Build Center to Bowling Green
$3.5 million investment will enhance growth of Corvette assembly plant
2013-01-30

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – General Motors will relocate its Performance Build Center, which allows engine aficionados to build their own specialty engines, from Michigan to the Bowling Green Assembly Plant, home of the Chevrolet Corvette.

The move, backed by a $3.5 million investment and slated for the first quarter of 2014, was part of a consolidation of GM Powertrain engineering sites.

The Performance Build Center has been the source for the 6.2L LS3 V8 engine, which powers the Corvette Grand Sport Coupe manual version; the 7.0L LS7 V8 engine for the Corvette Z06 and the 6.2L Supercharged LS9 engine for the Corvette ZR1.

The move will eventually allow Corvette customers to combine the experience of watching their Corvette being assembled with participating in the build of their vehicle’s high-performance engine. Details on which engines would be available for customer assembly will be announced in the future.

“This is exciting news for the Corvette Assembly Plant and the community of Bowling Green,” said plant manager Dave Tatman. “We host thousands of guests each year, many of whom are here to see their Corvette being built. Bringing the Performance Build Center here simply adds to the thrill of purchasing a Corvette and increases satisfaction for our customers and employees."

In 2011, GM announced a $131 million investment for Bowling Green Assembly, including construction of a new body shop and renovations and upgrades throughout the facility. The improvements support production of the next-generation Corvette, which Chevrolet unveiled on Jan. 13, just before the opening of the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

“The fine work by the dedicated members of UAW Local 2164 has been proven in building these sports cars. We are pleased with the investment and the resulting transformation of our plant,” stated Joey Cato, UAW Local 2164 shop chairman.

The final economic impact for the Bowling Green community is yet to be determined but will include approximately 20 created or retained jobs, specifically for the Performance Build Center. In the past year, more than 150 jobs have been added to Bowling Green Assembly and more growth is expected as production of the 2014 Corvette begins.

“General Motors is an important key to the continued economic growth of South Central Kentucky,” said Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear. “This latest investment into the Bowling Green Corvette Assembly plant will not only enhance GM’s commitment to the region but will provide added appeal to the many visitors they host each year. It is beneficial to the local community, the state of Kentucky and all involved.”
Old 02-07-2013, 11:50 AM

Re: Performance Build Center to Move to Bowling Green Plant

I think it's a good move. Obviously the Corvette will have the most to gain by this but the idea that GM keeps a small scale hand built performance engine facility going in this day in age is encouraging for GM performance fans of any brand.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 PM

I was really surprised when I read the article. I didn't realize that the LS3 that goes in the Grand Sport were hand built at the Performance Build Center.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
I was really surprised when I read the article. I didn't realize that the LS3 that goes in the Grand Sport were hand built at the Performance Build Center.
To me if GM is able to change only the LS3's in the Grand Sports to dry sump then if they wanted they could alter the LS7 for a run in the Camaro.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:37 PM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
To me if GM is able to change only the LS3's in the Grand Sports to dry sump then if they wanted they could alter the LS7 for a run in the Camaro.
Did somebody actually listen to the last podcast?