Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Did we miss this little nugget about the new 'Vette's weight?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:38 PM

Re: Did we miss this little nugget about the new 'Vette's weight?

I'll be so happy to see what all they reveal in <24 hours!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I read an article that was speculating that the 2014 Vette would use carbon fiber, magnesium and aluminum. I have not seen anything from GM confirming this.
I dont remember where to look to link them or I would, but I have seen a few tech interviews with Mark Ruess that spoke alot about GM's newest carbon fiber and magnesium technology that make its cost efficient. In addition to a host of other weight savings practices used in the ATS. Some of which are higher tech like new weight saving panel bonding process to low tech as in swiss cheese. The C7 frame is also aluminum at the base level now, so given the 2013 Z06 weighs roughly 3150 lbs, thats already a nice jump for the new base car. I think they pretty much pulled out every trick in the book to ensure a surprisingly lighter car.

Last edited by 90 Z28SS; 01-13-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:59 AM

Magnesium manufacturing is highly toxic and expensive. Its no longer allowed in several states. While GM may have found ways to save money in mass manufacturing, I have my doubts that they have truly made it cost efficient.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 PM
West South Central Moderator

In the reveal they said the frame dropped 99 pounds, but Edmunds is saying that the new car will be heavier?
Revealed! 2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7
Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
In the reveal they said the frame dropped 99 pounds, but Edmunds is saying that the new car will be heavier?
Revealed! 2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7
I saw reported in other places that it will end up basically the same weight as the C6.

It gained a little weight for the AFM, VVT, and DI.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:38 AM

I believe in the reveal they were talking about the chassis being 99 lbs lighter and 57% stiffer. I can see how some were mislead to think the complete car was lighter.

Last edited by jg95z28; 01-14-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:48 AM

I read somewhere that were it not for the goal for better fuel economy, the car would have been lighter. I'm sure we can look forward to the weight savings with the higher performance versions since they probably won't include those fuel saving features.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:19 AM

For all the talk that weight was being measured gram by gram and that it had to earn it's way onto the car and then getting a 99 lb lighter frame there is no excuse that this Corvette shouldn't weigh less than the C6.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:01 PM

We still don't know what the weight of the car is yet, so lets not get our panties in a bunch yet.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
I saw reported in other places that it will end up basically the same weight as the C6.

It gained a little weight for the AFM, VVT, and DI.
Like the outgoing ZR1 and Z06, the C7 rides atop an aluminum frame, a change that helps save some 99 pounds while adding 57-percent more rigidity, and the front and rear cradles that rest atop it are now rendered in hollow-cast aluminum, too, for a weight savings of 25 percent up front and 20 percent in the rear versus the C6, yet they are lighter and stronger than their magnesium counterparts from the exiting Z06.

Those weight savings are important, because in order to meet ever-stricter crash regulations, develop a much richer interior and add performance, some weight had to be added back in the form of new equipment. Counterintuitively, Chevy tells Autoblog that if its engineers didn't have to care about fuel economy, the C7 would actually be lighter. How's that? The new small block incorporates features like direct injection, variable-valve timing and cylinder deactivation ("Active Fuel Management") trickery, all of which adds weight. The new engine management hardware alone adds 35 pounds, plus there's a further 5.5 pounds for the AFM exhaust valves (so the engine doesn't sound objectionable when operating in V4 mode), another 15 or so pounds for the steel torque tube to help improve drivability with AFM, etc.), and so on. Surprisingly good fuel consumption figures have become something of a hallmark in recent generations, and it was a top priority to preserve that leadership in the new generation.

So the new C7 figures to weigh more-or-less the same as the C6, but engineers says they've taken pains to locate the weight in the right places to ensure 50/50 weight distribution. That means splurging on things like the carbon roof and hood panels to assure a lower center of gravity, but also means using lighter sheet-molded compound for the fenders, doors and rear quarters, not to mention advanced carbon-nano composite underbody panels. Together, those changes account for a weight loss of around 37 pounds.
2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray: Everything there is to know [w/video]
Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
For all the talk that weight was being measured gram by gram and that it had to earn it's way onto the car and then getting a 99 lb lighter frame there is no excuse that this Corvette shouldn't weigh less than the C6.
Remember that fancy interior everyone wants. Leather wrapped dash weighs more than chinzy plastic. Add extra airbags, added weight in the engine tech, and so forth. Compromises everywhere. Life is hard that way.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 PM

We will only know for sure when the factory tells us the curb weight. There are many exotic materials used to reduce weight but the direct injection, engine add-ons and variable cam technology will add weight. I can only hope the car is 235 pounds lighter -net ~ on the scale.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AdioSS
Personally, I think there would be a market for a Corvette with only a 5.5L engine. With the 6.2 slated to make "at least 450hp" that would mean a 5.5 should easily be able to make at least 400. Combine that with the reduced weight & an 8 speed automatic & you'd have the possibility of a 30MPG V8 sports car.
FWIW: A 5.5L engine would be heavier than a 6.2L on the same platform, assuming the same materials and other components. Bigger holes = less weight. To be specific, it'd be about 0.85 pounds heavier.

If you want a 30MPG V8 sports car, get a C5 M6. They were rated 29mpg highway and easily attain 30+. Plus, you can get one for WAY less than $55k.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
FWIW: A 5.5L engine would be heavier than a 6.2L on the same platform, assuming the same materials and other components. Bigger holes = less weight. To be specific, it'd be about 0.85 pounds heavier.
The 5.5 could also have thicker iron cylinder sleeves which would make it even heavier. But then there's the weight savings from smaller pistons...
Old 01-17-2013, 12:55 PM

5.3L or 6.2L. 5.5L is a ridiculous proposition and always has been. It was only created to meet the requirements for class road racing. Yes, in the past GM has created special displacement production engines to meet rules for class racing (the 302 c.i.d. small block V8 is an example). However that was decades ago and more modern racing classes no longer require a "production" displacement to fall within the rules.

If they're going to build a lighter, cheaper sports car, perhaps a turbo (or twin-turbo) V6 would be adequate. However I don't necessary think it should be called "Corvette".

Quick Reply: Did we miss this little nugget about the new 'Vette's weight?