Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

A couple of deisel tidbits....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 11:16 PM

Re: A couple of deisel tidbits....

Originally Posted by cmutt
A common myth by the "global warming is a myth crowd" is that volcanoes produce more CO2 than artificial, human-created means. The fact couldn't be further from the truth. On average, per year, the sum of all vocanoes produce about 1/150th of all of the human-created CO2 output.
The scorecard:
Volcanos = 145-255 million tons
Manmade emissions = 24 billion tons

Here's nifty link to our own usgs:
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/Hazards/Wh...as/volgas.html

Personally, I think there is far too little data to conclude that global warming is or isn't real. I do believe that you could make a good case for man doing harm upon the planet - I mean the stuff has to have some negative effects, wouldn't you think? 24 billion tons is by no means an inconsequential amount - and that number only grows larger, year after year.

Something to think about anyways..
but that includes factories and power generation and ships and planes. all of which are way worse than individual vehicles.

and only the very naive are saying there is no global warming. the thing is, we have already had one ice age that we know of. that happened way before humans started adding to it. i know pollution needs to be cut down but we really need to stop focusing on cars and try to cut down on bigger polluters. for instance start using nuclear power.

Last edited by godofdragons; 08-02-2006 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
Right... I think we all realize that and he was just being sarcastic.
im neeeeeevar sarcastic
Old 08-03-2006, 07:59 AM

A common myth by the "global warming is a myth crowd" is that volcanoes produce more CO2 than artificial, human-created means. The fact couldn't be further from the truth. On average, per year, the sum of all vocanoes produce about 1/150th of all of the human-created CO2 output.
The scorecard:
Manmade emissions = 24 billion tons

Here's nifty link to our own usgs:
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/Hazards/Wh...as/volgas.html

Personally, I think there is far too little data to conclude that global warming is or isn't real. I do believe that you could make a good case for man doing harm upon the planet - I mean the stuff has to have some negative effects, wouldn't you think? 24 billion tons is by no means an inconsequential amount - and that number only grows larger, year after year.

Something to think about anyways..
I was under the impression that we were discussing cars, here, in which case the amount of CO2 produced by cars, last is hear is a small fraction of what's produced by volcanos, for example. Especially cars in the US (the only thing we can 'worry' about)
Old 08-03-2006, 08:13 AM

The scorecard:
And does that include the massive explosions that come once every few years? Like Mt. Saint Helen? I didn't think so. That only considers semi-dormant continuously erupting volcanoes like the ones in Hawaii.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:06 AM

Ive seen diesels put out way more smoke than that
Old 08-03-2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
And does that include the massive explosions that come once every few years? Like Mt. Saint Helen? I didn't think so. That only considers semi-dormant continuously erupting volcanoes like the ones in Hawaii.

I agree, that link compares average yearly outputs. Human output is linear, while volcano output would change dramatically based on the number and size of explosions.

Still interesting to see just how much we pollute on average compared to volcanoes. (It was something new to me)