Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

A couple of deisel tidbits....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Prominent Member

Exclamation A couple of deisel tidbits....

Looks like someone else needs Cummins' expertise.....

July 26, 2006

Cummins to create 600 jobs through automotive engine contract

Cummins Inc. says it has reached a deal with an unnamed carmaker to supply light-duty diesel engines that will be on the market by the end of the decade. The Columbus company is considering a number of states, including Indiana, for the 600 jobs resulting from the contract. The engines will be offered in standard pickup trucks and sport-utility vehicles. A Cummins representative wouldn't disclose if the carmaker is based in the U.S. Separately, Cummins said it signed a lease to remain at its headquarters location in downtown Columbus until July 2019.
July 28, 2006

Ford, Nissan may tap Cummins for diesel engines

Ford Motor Co. may be the unnamed company Cummins Inc. will supply with light-duty diesel engines. Ford wants diesels in its F-150 pickup trucks, and its Explorer and Expedition sport-utility vehicles. Nissan also may be interested in a diesel for its Titan pickup.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:20 PM

Re: A couple of deisel tidbits....

I know Toyota has been planning to introduce a diesel engine with its new Tundra though I don't know if they are intending to offer it right away or launch it further into the model's life or what...
Old 08-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

I want to see General Motors partner with Caterpillar for its next round of diesel engines but I doubt that will happen.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:53 PM

Hopefully we will get some competition in the 1500 series diesel segment. DuraMax GMC Serria 3500's get 20mpg hwy. Just imagine how good a smaller V8 1500 would do. The big 3 really need to beat the japanese to the 1500 diesel party.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:54 PM

Hopefully we will get some competition in the 1500 series diesel segment. DuraMax GMC Serria 3500's get 20mpg hwy. Just imagine how good a smaller V8 1500 would do. The big 3 really need to beat the japanese to the 1500 diesel party.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
I know Toyota has been planning to introduce a diesel engine with its new Tundra though I don't know if they are intending to offer it right away or launch it further into the model's life or what...
Look for it when Toyota launches a heavy-duty varient of the Tundra, and expect the company to find the required expertise in-house.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:22 AM

It is not Ford and it is not Nissan.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:28 AM

The diesel emmissions have to sorted out first. There are new diesel emmissions requirements for 2007: Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. The engines are ready, the fuel is not yet to market in many places. You can't use reg. diesel or off road diesel in the new engines b/c it will mess up the emmissions controls.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:23 AM

I work for mack trucks and I see what they have to do to get the engines to pass 2007 standards. they have to put "scrubbers" in the exhaust. they take up alot of space, they are heavy, and they reduce power output AND drop fuel mileage, and they are EXPENSIVE.

personally I think these new emissions standards are ridiculous. the trucks will get less mileage so more fuel is going to be consumed. that means that the fuel tankers are going to be shipping more fuel than they normally would and THEY pollute too.

what are domestic manufacturers doing to meet the new 2007 standards? I also read about BMW's new diesel exhaust and it is entirely too complicated.

whatever happened to straight pipes!?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Zigroid
"Hippies" happened.

It's a wonder they haven't tried to fit the active volcanos of the world with air cleaners, too. Being that natural sources produce FAR more "problematic gasses" in our atmosphere than cars do.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by km9v
The diesel emmissions have to sorted out first. There are new diesel emmissions requirements for 2007: Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. The engines are ready, the fuel is not yet to market in many places. You can't use reg. diesel or off road diesel in the new engines b/c it will mess up the emmissions controls.
The ULSD is being phased in. It will be available. It is already being shipped.

I work for mack trucks and I see what they have to do to get the engines to pass 2007 standards. they have to put "scrubbers" in the exhaust. they take up alot of space, they are heavy, and they reduce power output AND drop fuel mileage, and they are EXPENSIVE.

personally I think these new emissions standards are ridiculous. the trucks will get less mileage so more fuel is going to be consumed. that means that the fuel tankers are going to be shipping more fuel than they normally would and THEY pollute too.

what are domestic manufacturers doing to meet the new 2007 standards? I also read about BMW's new diesel exhaust and it is entirely too complicated.

Exhaust "scrubbers" (known as aftertreatment in the industry) are a necessary evil. Getting rid of soot is a good thing. It is a known carcinogen.

The reduced diesel emissions will make diesel vehicles more acceptable in the mainstream, since they will have less smell and no visible soot emissions.

There are even tighter emissions coming for 2010!
Old 08-02-2006, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
"Hippies" happened.

It's a wonder they haven't tried to fit the active volcanos of the world with air cleaners, too. Being that natural sources produce FAR more "problematic gasses" in our atmosphere than cars do.
impossible, the earth can not harm itself. the human race started the C02 emissions! there were none before we came along!

there is no soot from a diesel if its tuned right. people need to take lessons from banks, they get their diesels to run pretty clean.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:48 PM

impossible, the earth can not harm itself. the human race started the C02 emissions! there were none before we came along!

Volcanoes..
Old 08-02-2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by TrackMagicWS6
Volcanoes..
Right... I think we all realize that and he was just being sarcastic.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:04 PM

A common myth by the "global warming is a myth crowd" is that volcanoes produce more CO2 than artificial, human-created means. The fact couldn't be further from the truth. On average, per year, the sum of all vocanoes produce about 1/150th of all of the human-created CO2 output.
The scorecard:
Volcanos = 145-255 million tons
Manmade emissions = 24 billion tons

Here's nifty link to our own usgs:
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/Hazards/Wh...as/volgas.html

Personally, I think there is far too little data to conclude that global warming is or isn't real. I do believe that you could make a good case for man doing harm upon the planet - I mean the stuff has to have some negative effects, wouldn't you think? 24 billion tons is by no means an inconsequential amount - and that number only grows larger, year after year.

Something to think about anyways..

Quick Reply: A couple of deisel tidbits....